how much does the weather affect the golf ball?

MD177

Reaction score
Handicap
GAM: 18.8
it's gonna be mid 90's here today and will be very humid. we decided to go for a round and I was wondering how much effect does the weather have on golf balls.

I will be using the 2010 Bridgestone E5 today.

it's gonna be mid 90's here today and will be very humid. we decided to go for a round and I was wondering how much effect does the weather have on golf balls.

Generally, the ball will fly farther when it is warmer. However, after the temperature is above 70 degrees or so, I don't tend to see much difference when the temperature goes a lot higher, I really notice the distance loss when it is under 50 degrees. In terms of humidity, I played some golf in June last year near the coast of South Carolina where the humidity was extremely high. At that course, I had a caddie that told me that I'd lose half a club on my irons because it was so humid, and that was correct because the air was "heavy." I don't know the science behind it, but it's what happened. However, that was close to 100% humidity, so unless you're in those conditions, I wouldn't worry about it.

I am always shorter in Florida than I am at my current home of North East Ga. I usually plan for about half a club shorter when I am down there. This year, when the weather changed, I had to change club selection a little because I was a bit longer. I have only been playing for 2 years now and this transition season has been the first season I was hitting the ball consistently enough to notice a real change in distance.

I think it makes a big difference, but more towards the extremes... For example playing in 40-50 degree weather, I found that using a softer ball makes a big difference, where I would usually use a ball with a much lower compression number. Just my personal opinion though.. Warmer temps = better compression numbers.. Lower temps = weaker compression reactions.

Always keep a couple of spare balls in my pocket and change them over every hole during the winter

Hot weather allows for the ball to fly further. My ratio is 3 yards for every 10 degrees. My yardages are based on 70 degree weather. Thus, if it is 80 degrees, I allow for an extra 3 yards and the opposite if it is 60 degrees. Also, I believe that the ball will fly further in more humid weather, as the air is less dense in more humid conditions. Though, I think the humidity level is far less important than the actual temperature.

thanks for the input guys. I knew the weather had an effect on the ball but I wasn't really sure what it was.

When it's raining my golf balls refuse to come out of the golf bag.

I always wonder about this. My drives were going really far, and further than I remembered at the outing.

Hot weather allows for the ball to fly further. My ratio is 3 yards for every 10 degrees. My yardages are based on 70 degree weather. Thus, if it is 80 degrees, I allow for an extra 3 yards and the opposite if it is 60 degrees. Also, I believe that the ball will fly further in more humid weather, as the air is less dense in more humid conditions. Though, I think the humidity level is far less important than the actual temperature.

Also, I believe that the ball will fly further in more humid weather, as the air is less dense in more humid conditions. Though, I think the humidity level is far less important than the actual temperature.

Actually the air is MORE dense in high humidity because it's full of water vapors, so the ball travels less. Living in Soutb Texas, we have our 90/90 days.......90 degrees and 90% humidity (hot and wet) on those days I can loose almost a full club to the humidity.

When it's raining my golf balls refuse to come out of the golf bag.

+2. I really don't notice much change is distance whether it is cool or hot. I rarely play in temps under 55/60 but played last evening after a high of 96 with high humity. I'm guessing it was around 90 when we tee'd off and I hit a couple of my longst drives of the season. All shots were pretty much dead on my normal distance as well.

Actually the air is MORE dense in high humidity because it's full of water vapors, so the ball travels less. Living in Soutb Texas, we have our 90/90 days.......90 degrees and 90% humidity (hot and wet) on those days I can loose almost a full club to the humidity.

Are you certain of that? I am not certain, but I have always heard that water vapor is a relatively light gas when compared to oxygen and nitrogen. Thus, when more lighter water vapor pushes out the heavier gasses, the air is LESS dense. This would make more humid weather less dense than drier weather at the same temperature. But like I said, I think this is fairly minor, as temperature plays much more of a role.

I know this seem contrary to yours and common belief, but I thought it was accurate. Please feel free to correct me if this is incorrect though.

In winter the difference is obvious. The ball doesn't fly nearly as far in the cold as it does in summer. I don't think the humidity has much effect on distance the ball flies. I do think the heat and humidity has an effect on the golfer. I finished with three bogies today in high heat and very high humidity. Three over for the first 15 holes and three over for the last three, I'm blaming being sapped by the heat. :D

In winter the difference is obvious. The ball doesn't fly nearly as far in the cold as it does in summer. I don't think the humidity has much effect on distance the ball flies. I do think the heat and humidity has an effect on the golfer. I finished with three bogies today in high heat and very high humidity. Three over for the first 15 holes and three over for the last three, I'm blaming being sapped by the heat. :D

That is a good point. Perhaps those that think the humidity restricts their ball flight are actually just getting physically weaker due to the humidity's increase to the heat index. I know it takes a lot out of me.

I'd kill for a hot, humid day around here! Heck, I'd be happy if the wind dipped below about 25mph for one of my rounds this year. These conditions affect the ball just a bit!

Golf balls are tested, and manufactured, to perform at their optimum at 70 degrees fahrenheit. There is no increase in distance above 70 degrees but for every three degrees under 70 there is a one yard loss.

One thing to remember when playing in Florida or Myrtle Beach, you are playing at only a few feet above sea level, altitude makes a difference is how far a golf ball will travel.

Here in Florida, first thing in the morning the air is heavier and the ball is generally half a club short. I play here so much I just can't compare it to other places and the distances are what they are. When it drops into the 40's the ball is also shorter, other than that, it's unchanged.

I can certainly attest to the ball not traveling very far last night. We had a cold front shoot through here yesterday snapping out 100 degree weather down to mid 50's by playing time and the ball (ProV1) simply felt like a rock. I was adding 1 club distance on cross wind shots and three clubs into the wind, but then again I have a rather high trajectory.

Here in the UK, slightly further south than 'the_paulo', the ball is most definately affected by cool damp contitions compared to warm dry ones. At the moment with temps around 17 degs celcius the ball is about .5 of a club longer than over the winter. I would expect this to rise to almost a full club in August.

I have been playing for almost 39 years but there is far less difference between winter/summer yardages now than in the dark ages when I started. Ball construction now is far better than it was.

Guys

Guys

I was just googling this very subject and came across your thread. I have found that humidity will INCREASE distance since humid air is LESS dense than less humid air.

I know it goes against initial logic, but humid air is full of water vapor. Water atoms have 2 hydrogen atoms to 1 oxygen atom. Less water vapor in the air means less water molecules, which means more oxygen atoms. Oxygen atoms are heavier than Nitrogen atoms BOTTOM LINE.

has anyone thought that maybe the ball goes further when it is hot out because you are looser and more flexible then when you are cold, tight and stiff?

The ball might have a little to do with it but I think it is more about the guy swinging the stick..

has anyone thought that maybe the ball goes further when it is hot out because you are looser and more flexible then when you are cold, tight and stiff?

The ball might have a little to do with it but I think it is more about the guy swinging the stick..

I have no doubt this is true for me, when it is high 70s I am very comfortable and seem to consistently get extra yards, last few weeks my wedges are playing 10 yards longer.

You're right about the humidity. I know it's kind of counter intuitive. It seems like the air would be "heavier" with the humidity, but water vapor in the air is lighter than air, i.e. clouds floating in the sky, which actually causes less resistance than drier air. Pilots have known this for years, and they report getting better fuel economy in humid conditions. The difference is minimal though, and as was already stated, the ball just doesn't go as far at sea level as it would in Denver (for instance). The humidity at sea level actually helps, a little (a couple yards at best).

Half a club in Florida? Gosh I knew the ball was affected in the winter and I knew the ball flew farther in the summer but man I forgot about the humidity affecting the flight(makes sense now)

Back