KBS Tour 90 Shafts Review - Forum Testing

Awesome write up WE. Good to hear that the towering iron shots (which I love to watch as well) did not lose distance, and did not balloon. As long as the iron shots hold their line for me, I love a high, soft-landing ball flight that goes the distance needed. I'm not looking for distance...I'm looking for accuracy and greater ability to hold greens. Seems like you are starting to find that in the KBS 90s.

Awesome write up WE. Good to hear that the towering iron shots (which I love to watch as well) did not lose distance, and did not balloon. As long as the iron shots hold their line for me, I love a high, soft-landing ball flight that goes the distance needed. I'm not looking for distance...I'm looking for accuracy and greater ability to hold greens. Seems like you are starting to find that in the KBS 90s.
J Nate, that's exactly what I am looking for, accuracy and the ability to hold a green when I hit it. Obviously, it's difficult to judge accuracy on the range, but I felt the line I was hitting on was where I wanted it to be. Looking forward to getting these on the course this weekend.

Great first session War! It's fantastic that you're seeing the same distance yet with a higher flight, that should help meet your goal of holding more greens instead of having to account for the rollout you were seeing with the PX.

Afterwards did you notice feeling different, ie less tired than you did with the PX?

--
Tapatalk2

Great first session War! It's fantastic that you're seeing the same distance yet with a higher flight, that should help meet your goal of holding more greens instead of having to account for the rollout you were seeing with the PX.

Afterwards did you notice feeling different, ie less tired than you did with the PX?

--
Tapatalk2
I was starting to tire after hitting through a good bit of balls, but I did not seem to see any fatigue in my swing. Was still swinging the same at the end of my range session as I was at the beginning.

Nice writeup War eagle! I am looking into KBS shafts now

I have a similiar shaft in my R11 irons and they are phenomenal. My previous clubs were Burner 2.0's, which according to the TM rep are very similar in technology to the R11's except for the shaft. These clubs go easily 1/2 a club farther. Great weight and great distance, I'm a changed man. I wasn't a believer in shaft technology until now.

I know it was your first session War but did you feel a different load on the KBS? If so, where did you feel it? On the down swing or at impact? Just curious.

excellent write up War! Hitting high bombs is pretty awesome isn't it?

That is great stuff War. You are seeing very similar results to me and I think that goes to show some consistency. The one key part that I cannot emphasize enough is staying in tempo and how much these in a round about way, sort of assist in that aspect.

That's a really good write-up WE!! Love to hear the early success with these shafts

I know it was your first session War but did you feel a different load on the KBS? If so, where did you feel it? On the down swing or at impact? Just curious.
I wish I could get that technical, Freddie. You know my swing, and I tend to get that hitch at the top with my irons, with these I didnt feel that I was making such a snappy transition at the top of my swing to my down swing through impact. Just had an even tempo to it.
excellent write up War! Hitting high bombs is pretty awesome isn't it?
Thanks ddec, and yes, being able to get the ball up quickly is a thing of beauty. I am hoping my range session transitions to the course.
That is great stuff War. You are seeing very similar results to me and I think that goes to show some consistency. The one key part that I cannot emphasize enough is staying in tempo and how much these in a round about way, sort of assist in that aspect.
I get steep a good bit with my irons and hit some pretty vicious fat shots, I didnt really notice hitting those shots on the range yesterday. Obviously I had my misses, but dont really remember anything in regard to getting extremely steep. How much would you say the weight of the shaft has to do with that?..or would you attribute that to an even tempo in the swing?

That's a really good write-up WE!! Love to hear the early success with these shafts
Thanks, Thanks (pun intended).

Great write-up WE! I also love the high trajectory I get with the KBS 90.

Looking forward to hearing your results on course.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II using Tapatalk 2

6/24/12 KBS Tour 90 Testing
Reshafting

When I found out that I would be testing out the KBS Tour 90 shafts, I decided that I wanted to capture the entire aspect of the process, especially since some of the posters had mentioned that they were curious in the reshafting process in the signup thread after the testers were announced. I knew this would be tough, as I am not yet able to reshaft my own irons. I talked with Tadashi about reshafting them, and being the amazing guy that he is, he stepped up and told me that not only would he take care of the work on my irons, he would also help me accomplish what I wanted to do and help me document the journey I am going to have with these shafts.

My first goal was to select what kind of "style" I wanted to go with, and I decided that I wanted to go with a color scheme that would "scream" THP for this testing. I decided to go with Green Pure Grips, as well as green ferrules for the irons and green/white stripped ferrules on my wedges;
Here is a shot of the green Pure grip next to the different ferrules I went with:
Spoiler
B7FD3F0F.jpg

Grip w/ Green Ferrule on KBS Tour 90;
Spoiler
80A51A2B.jpg

Grip w/ Green/White Ferrule on KBS Tour 90;
Spoiler
92F9D074.jpg

Here is a shot of the Green Pure grips installed on the KBS Tour 90 shafts;
Spoiler
B1A147C1.jpg

So, after Freddie and I played a round of Golf with the rest of the Florida THP'ers, my J40 DPCs were off with him, headed to Orlando to get some work done. Freddie was kind enough to document via video the steps he took to remove the current shafts out of the J40s, regrip, place new ferrules, and install the new KBS Tour 90s shafts in to the heads.

The first video is of the removal of the J40 head off the current shaft;

The Tour 90 shafts came to us testers uncut, so that we could have them adjusted to the lengths that we play. I wanted to stick with the length that I play my J40s at right now, so in order to ensure that they were measured out correctly, we needed to cut the old grips off and measure to make sure we had the numbers right;

The KBS Tour 90 shafts came to us to match our current setup. My current iron setup in the J40 DPCs is 5-PW, as well as playing 3 Nike VR Pro Wedges, at 50*, 55* and 60*. Each shaft was individually labeled and marked with which club they were to go in to, so to ensure that the right shafts went in to the right club head. I did not hard-step or soft-step my setup.

After getting the right measurements for the shafts, it was time to cut the shafts down to the correct length. Some people have the luxory of a workbench, but if you are like me (and in this case, Freddie) a work bench isnt a must have for shaft work and cutting them down. Here is Freddie cutting down the shaft, as well as preparing the tip to be installed in to the iron heads;

Shafts were cut down, and time to tape and grip them up. I went with one wrap of tape under the pure grips. Installation of grips can be pretty easy, I do my own with a simple setup of grip solvent, tape and some old fashioned elbow grease.

After all the above steps are completed, it's time to install the shafts in to the iron heads. In the video there are some great shots of my irons set and ready to go. The last step is put on some epoxy, slide on the ferrule and insert the shaft in to the iron head. Freddie captures it all again on video here;
[video=youtube;W5c--5c15YE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5c--5c15YE&feature=player_embedded[/video]

So that's the step by step process that my J40 irons went through to take their original shafts out and get the KBS Tour 90 shafts installed. Was glad that we could capture the process on video, as I know that I personally have always wanted to be able to do a project like this myself rather than having to rely on a golf shop or a good friend to do it. The process is pretty straight forward, and the videos capture it all so that others can see what it takes.

I am quite excited to get these in hand. I am loving the green grip and ferrule setup, and think the green will hopefully prompt some folks to ask a question or two on why I went with that look...that will be an easy opening for me to tell them about the awesome place we have here on THP, the amazing testing opportunity I have been given, as well as letting them know all about the KBS Tour 90 shafts. Again, a sincere Thank-You to THP and KBS for this opportunity, I am excited to get this testing opportunity rolling, and from talking with Freddie, I should have them by Tuesday so I can get them out where they belong, on the Course!

Also, I want to extend my appreciation and Thanks to Freddie aka Tadashi. When I got selected for this testing, he immediately sent me a text offering to help me out with reshafting my irons. He didnt have to do that, but did so with out even thinking twice. Freddie is an asset to THP, and a true friend. On top of offering to do the work, he didnt even blink when I told him of my idea to document the entire process, from start to finish. Oh yeah, did I mention he did all of this in less than 24 hours before he went out of town on business? Amazing. Freddie...Thank you for this!

I hope to have these in hand by Tuesday, will probably have an unboxing video up of my first impressions and thoughts from the range.

Dude...well done so far!!! I am very impressed...clubs look awesome btw

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I have a similiar shaft in my R11 irons and they are phenomenal. My previous clubs were Burner 2.0's, which according to the TM rep are very similar in technology to the R11's except for the shaft. These clubs go easily 1/2 a club farther. Great weight and great distance, I'm a changed man. I wasn't a believer in shaft technology until now.

I can say that I wanted to believe, but I just never felt or noticed much of any difference in shafts previously, other than flex. (I've played True Temper and Cleveland shafts previously) Now after hitting the KBS 90 for about 3/4 of a year, my game has changed for the better. The shaft and head feel like an integrated system to me now, and that's sort of a new experience. I'm sure the weight has something to do with it, but there also is a smoothness to the shaft that seems to allow for more power as well. I'm clearly about one club length longer with these irons now than when first started gaming them. hat's just me getting used to them and trusting them more. A lot of the reason is that I trust the shaft so much now that I am able to attack the ball more with more of a thrusting downswing. I'm just really pleased to be playing a version of this shaft that's under review.

KBS Tour 90 Review - Range Session

The arrived today and they look great. I immediately took them to the range for a session to give some initial thoughts. Here we go.

Pre-KBS Tour 90
I was playing with Ping i20's, bue dot (.75* upright) in the stock CFS shaft in a regular flex. This decision was made after a fitting and I was coming from i10's, black dot (standard) in the stock AWT shaft in stiff. I was seeing a mid ball flight with the i10's and I would get some roll out on the greens. Alot of that is attributed to my swing and not the equipment. I tend to pick the ball off the turf. Some of that was attributed to my swing and some was not a properly fitted shaft for my swing. The ball flight was not what I wanted and was seeing a major distance loss with improperly fitted equipment.

I got fitted this season for the i20's and the result was the blue dot with a lighter shaft and higher ball flight. The ball did not balloon but the CFS shaft got the ball in the air and landed softly like a butterfly with sore feet ;). I was a shaft newb and I decided to hit the i20 in a c-taper and boy was I struggling with the heavier shaft and stiffness. My slow tempo did not fit the shaft very nicely. I swallowed my ego and tried the stock shaft in a regular flex (gasp!). Low and behold, an 80% swing, nice and easy, and the ball jumped off the face and a high ball flight was achieved! Subsequently, I have played my stock shaft for about 100 holes and was seeing some great results and landing greens and the balls seemed to stop where they would hit on the greens. I then did some research on how I could get a similar ball flight, with tighter dispersion and more distance. Opportunity knocked and here we are in the KBS TOUR 90 testing thread.

KBS TOUR 90 Range Session

We have a fairly level practice range with pretty beat up balls. The shafts we are testing is the KBS TOUR 90 Reg flex hard stepped once. This doesn't mean that they are stiff, but what this meant in my set was that I was shipped a 5-PW shaft. The 5i shaft would be cut to my current 4i length and inserted into my 4i. And this progressed through my set. I was not looking at distance today and just watching the ball flight. My range sessions start with a PW then I move through the bag as I warm up. In the beginning, I swing 3/4 speed and slowly move up to full swings. I also want to note that this range is right by the airport and there is always a dominant breeze in the face. This was a perfect testing opportunity to look for ballooning and distance loss. Our pins have a sloped turf green from back to front and are extremely hard. I commenced with the PW.

The pin was 109 lasered with rough looking range balls. The first several swings were sort of the toe and the ball still got up in the air quickly! Like my CFS shafts I could feel my shaft load properly and right at impact the shaft's extended tip section made the ball jump up in the air. I was landing just short of the 109 flag on the front part of the sloped turf green and took a bounce and stayed in the general direction! The shaft was so smooth and effortless to get into the air. The height of the ball was very similar to my CFS shaft, but the feel at impact was significantly smoother. I continued to progress through the bag.

I love hitting my 7i and here is where it got really interesting. I was warmed up and the back was loosening up after my 18 this morning with Sharkwrestler and wangarific. I was getting into a groove and decided to go after the flag that was lasered at 151. The wind was about 10 mph in the face. I was hitting normal full swing shots at that flag and was landing high soft balls on the front of the sloped green. Typically, these balls would jump forward and roll off the back of the turf green. These crappy range balls flew high and weren't ballooning into the wind! It just seemed like the ball just kept rising and as it hit apex, the ball didn't just drop straight out the air. The ball kept going! NO WAY. This was consistent for the rest of the session. Out of the 15 balls I hit, about 6 were right on target and the rest were slight fades off to the right of the green. Blame the indian not the arrow. Moving to these shafts greatly increased my confidence to "cover" the ball at impact and swing down and through the ball. My miss with my irons was always a scoopy weak shot mid-high and right. From an initial range session I am quite impressed with the way these shafts performed even against my CFS Reg flex shafts. The smoothness cannot be written about, and those of you that have KBS shafts know that! I want to say I hit these clubs a little further than normal today, but I want to accurately comment on that out on the course with real balls.

Parting Initial Thoughts
I was a shaft newbie and didn't really believe that shafts were that important. I was always an off the shelf, give me stiff flex cause I know I can swing a stiff flex guy. The KBS TOUR 90's and getting fit properly opened my eyes. Take a close look at your numbers and set your ego aside. The high ball flight of the KBS shafts with the hard step improves ball striking, distance, and ball flight. This gives me the confidence to attack pins from the approach shot and improve my GIR putting currently at 2.8 putts per green. What does this say? I hit greens, but I am NO WHERE NEAR THE PIN. They either roll out or I chicken out to the middle of the green. I can't wait for my league night and get more thoughts on this thread with a real ball and competition. Thanks for reading! I can't wait for more results from the other testers and their thoughts. We have a great mix of clubs and styles.

Great initial writeup, Pmoa! Glad that these have done well right out of the gate for you and WE.

I'll be joining in the fun early next week, as I just got these pics from Freddie:

63a87c59-5fbc-3557.jpg

63a87c59-5fcf-4abc.jpg

SO excited.

Excellent first review pmoa, glad these seem to have worked out for you during your first session.
I agree there is a smoothness about the load at impact and release through the ball. It is hard to explain but from my experience you swing and look up and the ball it flying. Some where in between there, was a split second of impact and release. You know the shaft worked because of your ball flight.
Keep it up and I look forward to following along

awesome first review pmoa!!!! these should work out really well for you!

JN - THose are some nice looking irons!

FK - Dude I just finally got caught up on your videos with WE's stuff. You have really opened the door to me about doing club work. That is awesome how much you are helping these fellas out!

Great starts WE, Pmoa, and JB.

Kevin, I had exactly the same experience as I also transitioned from Burner 2.0 irons to R11s with the KBS Tour 90s in stiff. Even though the Burners are a degree stronger on some clubs, and a bit longer clublength wise, I noticed no distance loss at all and make have similarly picked up a couple yards when I made the transition. As I have made some swing improvements this year and picked up 10 more yards due to better mechanics, the shafts have supported me at every turn, and now I can really see the high trajectory. If I hadn't transitioned between such similar clubs where I could tell that I was gaining (or at least not losing) distance, I would wonder if the Tour 90 shafts were too high of a trajectory, but the KBS team has done a great job in maximizing the trajectory without losing distance.

The Burner 2.0s were the first irons I had with the 90ish gram shafts, so the weight for me wasn't a transition, but now I would have a hard time going back to standard 110-120 gram shafts. The lighter weight really does help me keep track of the clubhead a bit more (although I am really bad at knowing what I'm feeling in those regards), but as JB said, they lighter weight allows me to be able to swing similarly even as I get tired.

I am really glad that KBS wanted to do this testing because I think a lot of us don't pay nearly enough attention to iron shafts, and prior to last year, I really would have been one of those folks myself.

The Burner 2.0s were the first irons I had with the 90ish gram shafts, so the weight for me wasn't a transition, but now I would have a hard time going back to standard 110-120 gram shafts. The lighter weight really does help me keep track of the clubhead a bit more (although I am really bad at knowing what I'm feeling in those regards), but as JB said, they lighter weight allows me to be able to swing similarly even as I get tired.

Donne your last sentence is key. I played 18 prior to the range and I wasn't swinging like the beginning of the round. I was tired. And the ball still flew off the club nicely. Choosing a flex that not only can hold up to your swing when you're striping it, but not so stiff where you are fatigued and can't load the club properly.

Pmoa bringing it! Nice write up buddy!

Seems like you and I had similar experience with hitting the ball and just watching it get up in the air quickly with a nice high ball flight. Liked that even though you were in a head wind you weren't seeing a ballooning shot.

KBS Tour 90 Shaft Review
7/1/12
First Round with the KBS Tour 90 Shafts

What a better way to open up the month of July than with a great round of Golf. I took the KBS Tour 90 shafts out for their very first full round of golf with me today, and played a very fun course. It’s not a long course, coming in a 6,250 yards, but a lot of risk/reward holes, doglegs and blind shots. Very fun, and good scores can be had as long as you keep the ball in play.

During my first range session, I was seeing distances that were equivalent to what I had been seeing with my previous shafts, but was seeing a noticeable higher ball flight, throughout the entire set. Shorter irons had me standing in amazement watching the ball flight, no better way to say it, but what I saw on the range had me excited for what it could possibly do for me on the course.

I took notes during my rounds of my shots and thoughts, but dont want to go with the typical hole by hole write up. What I really want to get through with this review, is the shaft performance. The KBS Tour 90 shafts are significantly lighter than any shaft I have ever gamed. I honestly had no idea how that would work for me, either on the range or in a round of golf, but the past few days have showed me that even the slighest bit of weight difference can be quite beneficial. During my range session, I felt that I was putting swings on the ball just as good toward the end of the session as I was when I started. During my round today? I know I was hitting the ball well coming down the home stretch, as I had some of my best shots of the day on #17 and #18.
  • #17 is a long dogleg left par 5 that gives you a great opportunity to go for the green as long as you can carry the hills and bunkers down the left of the fairway, if you carry the mess there, you will land your drive and get a great downhill kick. Well I carried it, and was left with about 185 yards left to the pin. I was in a perfect spot to go for it, and I grabbed a my 5iron and hit it about as perfect as I can, and ended up on the back of the green in the first cut with a puttable chance at Eagle (doesnt happen too often for me). I didnt make the putt, but had a tap in birdie.
  • #18 is an elevated tee box on a Par 4. I went at it with Driver and was on the left side of the fairway, 134 yards to the pin. I went with my PW and left it about 8 feet past the hole, for an easily made birdie.
I highlight these two holes, as they were my only birdies on the day, and they came on the last two holes of my round in some pretty sweltering heat. Even though the round was ending, I felt that I was swinging my irons just as good as I was to begin the day. The weight of the KBS Tour 90 shafts allow me to swing with an even tempo and really get through the ball and see some good results.

Increased Spin?
One of the things I immediately noticed on the range when hitting the KBS Tour 90 shafts was the higher ball flight I was seeing. I did not notice any ballooning during my range session, nor did I see any today in my round. What I did notice was that my ball flight was much higher than previous, and the trajectory gave me a ball flight that would allow me to generate spin when hitting into the green. I hit 10 GIRs today, which is much more than I usually hit. I felt that by being able to get the ball in the air quickly on a much better arch that what I have done in the past, I was able to land the ball on the green and hold it. I saw a bit more spin that I am used to, especially in the shorter irons. Most of the shots that landed the green today, I backed up at least a couple of feet. I am not a high spin player, but when talking with the guys at KBS and letting them know that one of my struggles in this game is the height of my shots, they felt the KBS Tour 90s would give me a much better ball flight, which would lead to me generating more spin on my shots. This was quite apparent today, and was glad to see that even when I misjudged my distance on my shots, the ball landed, hopped and stopped. I really feel that this is what led me to hitting more greens than I usually do today. Being able to land a shot and hold the green versus hitting my shot, landing the green and flying off the back is something that I can get used to.

Distances
When talking to Conrad at KBS, we were discussing what benefits I might see by using the KBS Tour 90 shafts. The topic of distance came up, because, well, we are all golfers and a lot of what we seek is distance gains from certain tweaks in our game. In talking with KBS and my reading up on the benefits of better fitted shafts for golfers, one thing I kept coming back to was distance gains by having a better, more evened tempo with the club in the proper position at impact. Swinging the Tour 90s seemed to allow me to get through the ball and make a solid move with my shot. Today, I was seeing a slight distance increase in my irons. I am not saying the shafts made a difference in my distance, what I am saying is that the shafts allowed me to get a much more smooth swing on the ball and release the club at the impact zone to really get through the ball. During my round, I was seeing distances that were a few yards longer, and as I progressed and started getting more aggressive with my swing a distance gain was starting to be much more noticeable. I dont want to approach the realms of being an internet golfer, but it is what it is, and next up is a few shots I had during my round that made me think that I was really swinging my irons better than I have been in the past few weeks;
  • On Hole #11, I was sitting on the right side of the fairway with 129 yards to the pin which was in a back location on the green. This is PW distance for me. I hit my shot and flew it past the flag off the back of the green. Thinking this was out of the ordinary, I dropped another ball to test it. Same results, past the flag and over the back of the green. Surprised by this, I pulled my 50* (also shafted with the KBS Tour 90 shaft) went with a full swing and landed the green, pin high to the right of the green.
  • Next hole, #12, par 5. Was sitting middle of the fairway and wanted to lay up to give myself a short iron in to the green. I pulled my 6iron, and figured that would give me the usual 175ish yards. My swing felt perfect, and hit the shot about as good as I can. One of the guys playing with me commented that he has never seen me hit a 6iron that high before. We had to GPS this one, because it was launched. 192 yards...with a 6iron. I dont felt that I was swinging significantly harder than I have in the past, but I felt as if my swing was just on an even tempo and was making me move through the ball with ease.
  • Par 3, 145 yards. Pin in a center location. This is 9iron range for me, all day. But it on a small tee, slightly above the turf, and got a good swing on it. I flew the green, hitting on the back edge and and down the hill. The ball was absolutely moving, but again, I didnt feel that I really “got after it”, but was just able to get the swing jiving with what I was trying to do.
Misses
I hit fat shots...a lot. I get steep and drop my club in to the ground and hit some vicious fat shots.
Heavier shafts and why we think we need them? Today, I can only think back on my round and remember a few shots that were just absolute misses. The reason I bring this up, goes along with what I was saying earlier about grooving my swing. I feel the weight of the KBS Tour 90 shafts allows me to really just get my swing on that even tempo and make a move though the ball. I had one or two fat shots today, and it was me trying to get too much out of my swing. Thinking about it throughout my round today, I really think the lighter shaft allowed me to get in the perfect spot to get a good move through the ball. My annoying hitch at the top of my swing was absent today, and the swing just felt good.

Heavy vs Light
Like most people, I get a lot of my golf knowledge from TV and reading Golf publications or the internet. I have always thought that “heavier is better.” I had never really thought about playing a lighter shaft; whether it was in a driver (check the sig :p ) or in my irons. I mean, the guys on Tour play heavier shafts right?? At least that what I though. Talking with some of the guys that play the R11s with the Tour 90 shafts in them stock, I was quite intrigued by these shafts and what they might offer me. My misses today were not big, most being a slight push that ended just to the right of where I was aiming. I felt that my shots had a much tighter dispersion, and that I was able to pick out my target, and hit it on my line. I feel the KBS Tour 90 shafts allowed me to really swing within myself, even if I was trying to get a bit more aggressive. I liked that the weight of the shafts had me feeling that I was hitting some of my best iron shots toward the end of my round. Being able to put a good swing on the ball when it came down to it really made the difference in my round. Finishing Holes 17 & 18 with birdies, thanks to a well hit iron shot made me leave the course quite excited.

Conclusion;
It’s been one extended range session and one round of golf. My range session was a blast, as I really enjoyed hitting iron shots that just gave me a beautiful ball flight that made me grin. My round today, started out with more strokes than I wanted, bogey/bogey on the first two holes. Once I got my swing agreeing with me, I started hitting some quality golf shots. I was able to string together some good holes on the front, and then really hit my stride on the back and put together a solid round. Being able to lift my ball flight with my iron shots is something I have been working on for a while, and I have tried it in many different ways. I’ve tried alignment and position of the ball in my stance, to changing my grip and how I swing. Looking forward to see if this initial success continues forward for me with the KBS Tour 90 shafts.

Just got caught up with this thread and there are some great looking irons in here, love the custom looks! A lot of good early info to testers, I play this shaft in my R11 irons and LOVE IT! WE that was just one heck of a write up dude.

Just got caught up with this thread and there are some great looking irons in here, love the custom looks! A lot of good early info to testers, I play this shaft in my R11 irons and LOVE IT! WE that was just one heck of a write up dude.
Thanks 10yard, I appreciate that!

Back