KBS Tour 90 Shafts Review - Forum Testing

Thanks 10yard, I appreciate that!
It was amazing dude, so was that first one with Freddie reshafting them, awesome stuff. Gotta give props to Freddie as well, heck of a nice thing to do for the testers!

What a great write up War Eagle. I hear a lot of people discuss light weight and say they lose the club head in the back swing. I have always thought that as a little odd personally, because the club head itself might even feel heavier due to the balance. With that being said, did you ever feel as though you could not feel the club head in your back swing?

Another great write up War Eagle. Sounds like you are seeing the ideal flight you were looking for and no loss in distance. They seem like a perfect match as long as you stay in tempo.

Ideal flight is great but only if you can use it to your advantage and get the ball closer to the hole and score better; seems as if that is really starting to happen for you also. Great job thus far man.

What a great write up War Eagle. I hear a lot of people discuss light weight and say they lose the club head in the back swing. I have always thought that as a little odd personally, because the club head itself might even feel heavier due to the balance. With that being said, did you ever feel as though you could not feel the club head in your back swing?
Like you said, to lose the club head with a lighter shaft doesn't register 100% with me. I could see someone getting too snappy with their backswing with a lighter shaft, and then getting over extended with their swing making them feel that they lose their swing a bit. But, in the time that I have spent with the KBS Tour 90 shafts, I feel that I have adjusted quite well to keep my swing in check and have been able to keep an even swing with it. I dont really feel that my backswing is snapping back too quick where my shoulders are rolling over to where I would over extend my swing and lose the feel of my club.

Like you said, to lose the club head with a lighter shaft doesn't register 100% with me. I could see someone getting too snappy with their backswing with a lighter shaft, and then getting over extended with their swing making them feel that they lose their swing a bit. But, in the time that I have spent with the KBS Tour 90 shafts, I feel that I have adjusted quite well to keep my swing in check and have been able to keep an even swing with it. I dont really feel that my backswing is snapping back too quick where my shoulders are rolling over to where I would over extend my swing and lose the feel of my club.
I know im not a tester in here but I have never once felt like I lost the club head during the swing while playing these shafts. Keep up the great work guys.

War, that was a great recap my friend. A 76 to boot, excellent. I'm glad that you seeing the results you are seeing. Nice high soft landing balls. The added distance is due to that swing of your putting the club in the right place, like we spoke about. I have a feeling this might be the beginning of beautiful relationship between you and the KBS 90s.
I think quite a few that have swung the KbS 90s on this forum have become better ball strikers.

I know im not a tester in here but I have never once felt like I lost the club head during the swing while playing these shafts. Keep up the great work guys.

I would venture to say you are more aware of the club location with a lighter shaft such as the KBS 90s

WE, what a great writeup! Glad to see these work so well on the course. I am chomping at the bit on this, and will be joining you guys shortly.

Tapping from my S3

Wow WE, that was an excellent write up! I think we are seeing similar misses with the shots to the right and fat.

In regards to the lighter shaft, I've found in comparison to my 99g CFS shafts, that a smooth tempo is key. If you have a swing that is much faster in tempo with a softer flex shaft, I can see how you can lose the club head as the shaft is loading and unloading in the wrong places. If that makes sense. I can't wait to get these onto the course on Tuesday for a full report.

Again, that was a fun read WE.

I would venture to say you are more aware of the club location with a lighter shaft such as the KBS 90s

Keep up the good work testers, I've been following this thread closely. My eyes were opened at the benefits of lighter shafts when I was asked to test the Cleveland CG Black Driver. Not only was it a blessing to test and share my thoughts, but I was one of the "heavier is better" guys. I'm 6'4" and built like a retired lineman - why would I ever need "light" shafts.

One of the things that has been impressed upon me is balance - I know it has probably been a while since you swung with the heads you are using, but what are your thoughts about the overall balance and how the Tour 90's are different in that respect.

WE - Any issues coming over the top with the lighter shafts? When you hit fat/steep is that your swing flaw? I haven't tried light shafts in irons yet, however when I get quick at the top, I go over the top like Stallone!

Again, good posting, looking forward to the rest of the testers dropping in.

Great thoughts Pmoa and War. You guys are relaying your findings very well.

Grats on the 76 too War!

--
Tapatalk2

War, buddy, that was a TREMENDOUS review post my man. Seriously, tremendously well written and chock full of info.

I'm loving the feedback on these, the lighter shafts are a thing of true intrigue for me as though I was fit for heavier shafts the lighter always catch my interest. Keep up the good work testers.

Great write up WE

Thanks for posting up the re-shafting process as well. When taking clubs in to be re-shafted, say the RBZ's, what do I have to worry about? I have been considering throwing a set of Tour 90s in there for some tim.e

Great update! I currently have light shafts right now and am going to try a heavier shaft soon. I am excited to feel the difference between lighter and heavier shafts as well. Your write up really has me putting more thought into the importance of shafts.

Wanted to add something today as I tested these out and that is how do we go about the idea that KBS shafts feel smoother than others I have tested. People always ask to describe feel and what is feel. We hear terms such as "buttery", "Soft" and so many others, but to me, the best way to describe the KBS Shafts feel is that they are smoother than the other I have tested. How can I feel that? Well for me, the smoothness comes in two areas and I will discuss both here.

First one is at the transition. I have a pretty moderate take away, and as I get to the transition of the swing, I absolute hate having a shaft that is too stiff for me at this point. I get this harsh sensation that I am holding something that is closer to an iron bar than I am a golf club. The club head should glide with me as I start the descent towards the impact zone and to me this is where the KBS shafts excel. Right as I make my move towards the downswing, it feels as though the club and my arm are connected. Its like the shaft is softer (almost graphite like), but without any worry of flex at all. Its something that is near impossible to put into words, but when you first get a fitting for KBS and have the proper shafts in your clubs, you will know it instantly. Its something special and I hope that other manufacturers catch on because its incredible and everybody should feel it.

The second area is right as the club is making its way to the impact zone, at impact, and then shortly after impact. Many get a harshness at this time, especially in their left hand (RH player) and think it is almost always the club head feel. Truthfully, the shaft can play just as much of a role here and the KBS Tour 90s are the best I have ever used in this area. Not too soft, not too stiff and just as you are going to make impact with the ball, you get this sensation that is similar to the one I spoke about previously. Its as if the shaft is an extension of your arm and you are gliding the club through the impact zone, rather than swinging it.

I have touched on the feel, but now I want to explain where the feel is most noticed for me. EVERYWHERE. I had always thought that shaft feel was reserved for different clubs. Using your driver, you can usually (with the right shaft and fit) feel the shaft load and unload at the proper time. Around the greens, you can get a sense of the touch and delicacy that shafts can assist with. Now I do not mean pitching and chipping as much as I mean creative shots and aggressive shots from inside of 75 yards. With the KBS Tour 90 shafts, I get that sensation on every single shot regardless of location and creativity.

So far, I am more impressed than I remember being previously and I am really looking forward to continuing forward in pursuit to find this throughout my golf game. I believe these shafts make me a better golfer. I also believe that a true KBS fitting is the ideal way to find out if they are right for you as well. One thing I am sold on however, is the feel that I get and it is unlike anything else I have tried in golf.

More Coming Soon...

Absolutely fantastic write up JB. Amazing detail touching on your definition of "smoothness" and where/how you feel it during your swing with these shafts.

I won't quote them, but I really enjoyed the thoughts and reviews from the weekend. Things like this make me question what I think I like in an iron shaft.

What are you testing these in again JB?

Interesting thoughts JB. I have not had much experience with KBS shafts and I have a hinkering that that needs to change soon.

Nice thoughts, JB. When playing my round yesterday, all kinds of thoughts crossed my mind on how to put the "feel" of a shaft in to words in a review. Like you said, "soft" and "buttery" are thrown around a lot, as well as people looking for what the feel at impact is. For me the feel with the lighter shaft comes with the even tempo of the swing, allowing you to be in the right position at the moment you strike the ball. Having played shafts that I believe to be too stiff for me in the past with a similar type of iron as I am now, I often complained that the club felt harsh at times. I think that has little to do with the club head, and more to do with me not getting along with the shaft, basically putting myself out of position at the moment of impact.

One difference I noticed was just how different impacting the ground felt with the KBS Tours vs the S300's.

Some great stuff in here over the last few days from War Eagle, Pmoa, and JB.

JB in terms of what you asked WE about feeling the clubhead throughout the swing with a lighter shaft. One of my favorite irons at the outing was the Adams CB3 and to my surprise they had the Tour 90 shaft in them. I never thought that I lost the feel of the clubhead throughout the swing.

Hawk - I'm with you on the different feel you get from impacting the ground with KBS vs S300's. Not nearly as harsh.

The club head should glide with me as I start the descent towards the impact zone and to me this is where the KBS shafts excel. Right as I make my move towards the downswing, it feels as though the club and my arm are connected. Its like the shaft is softer (almost graphite like), but without any worry of flex at all.

This was like ready a trashy romance novel. Except for dudes. About golf.

...umm, not that I've read more than a few lines from a trashy romance novel... :embarrassed:

That was a good explanation JB. It was difficult for me to explain the smoothness of the shaft. When the shaft does its job, the kick at impact is what I think makes it feel like you didnt even hit the ball. Obviously, center contact and everything else. I find that when I played my stiff shafts, my typical over the top move saps my power and the kick point in the shaft is wrong for my tempo. This, in turn, is what I think feels like hitting a rock at impact. I am completely guessing here, but if you see some impact positions of the pros and see the flex in the shaft bending forward, the shaft is doing its job. I wish I had a 64000 fps (swing vision) camera. :)

P.S. Congrats on your 76 WE!

Back