Long putter, belly putter or traditional...what works for you?

I play a 34" but I find that I play it shorter than that. I typically grip down on it almost 2" probably from the butt. I've never tried a belly putter, but I just cannot stand the way they look, much less the even longer shoulder putters. The obviously work, I just couldn't stand myself playing that large of a putter.

Traditional here, 35.5" and I love that length for now. I think longer as I get older might be better for my back and neck but otherwise, I'll game the standard length for as long as I can. I just can't get over the "look" of a belly putter for now. Also, I thought I heard somewhere, no one has won a major gaming a belly putter or long putter at the time? Is that true still?

I play a 35" putter, but I grip down on it... I haven't considered cutting it off due to the talk about swing weights changing, and my affinity to the heavier putter.

Traditional here, 35.5" and I love that length for now. I think longer as I get older might be better for my back and neck but otherwise, I'll game the standard length for as long as I can. I just can't get over the "look" of a belly putter for now. Also, I thought I heard somewhere, no one has won a major gaming a belly putter or long putter at the time? Is that true still?

For me, how many majors has been won with something, has no bearing whats so ever on what I might try to make me better, but for others......

I experimented with a 41" odyssey black #3 belly putter last night while at my local range. It was the first time I've ever hit one on a real green before. I spent about 45 mins practicing with it and came out with mixed results. My miss seemed to be on the left side of the hole, but I was never really comfortable with the motion yet. I was a bit surprised at how well I was able to lag the long putts. I was never awful with the traditional length, but struggled (probably mentally more than anything) on the short ones that were important in my round / match.

I've always used a traditional putter, 35". Once I find a putter I like I just seem to learn to use it. Right now I'm using a SeeMore Si3 and hitting it a little to hard. I'll spend time with it over the winter and should be fine next spring.

I'm not skimming backwards to see what I originally posted however the 43 inch Ghost Spider belly putter is my close friend now. I actually have a crush on it :in-love:! It took me a few weeks to learn it, but now it's on like donkey kong.

I've been using a Taylormade Ghost Spider belly putter for a couple months now and it's not completely sold on me yet. My miss is a push off to the right of the hole, and have had some troubles with speed control. Some rounds I am dialed in and practically have no three-putts, and some rounds I just can't get it going. I might just have to take the belly putt kit off of my flatstick and see if I can hack it with a traditional length. I don't know what I'll do...

I like the traditional putter. I am usually a decent putter when I remember my fundamentals. Alignment is not my usual problem, I tend to leave the ball just a little short. I was also under the impression that anchoring a putter against your body was against the rules. If I am not mistaken, I don't know why the belly putter is even legal.

I use 48 inch Yes! Emma. I used 33.5 inch for years and moved to the long putter in May. I'v had pretty solid results with it overall. I think im going to shorten it to 47 inchs though. I feel like I stand a little tall and dont really get over the ball very well and feel like I'm looking at the inside half of the ball. But I feel that overall it was a good move for me to move to a long putter.

I would love to know what works for me. I only have an old and crooked putter that came with the set. And obviously this ain't workong. I guess I should upgrade soon...

Regular putter. Ive never really tried a belly putter rather then just on the putting green as i felt i didn't have much control as you stated. Felt like it either wasn't firm in my gut, or too firm and stuck when getting started.

I use a 34" traditional putter but ever since I change my putting stroke to emulate the belly putter motion (grip way down and pretend I am using a belly putter) my putting number drops like a stone. I may try a real belly putter during the winter.

I play with a 35" putter. I always thought we played the game of golf with clubs - not staffs, so I'm not a fan of the long putters.

I have experience with all of the above...including a PUKU which was all of the above in itself. While I was trying to gain control of a out to in gait in my putting stroke the belly putter worked. The problem was putts inside of 5 feet I missed a ton. The long putter worked real well except I fought feel on lag putts. 10 and in and she was great. Of interest was the fact that both putters were blades.

All things considered being equal I like the conventional but it's more of a matter of blade or mallet for me. I'm putting well with my Odyssey Two Ball. I do find my lag putts have great feel and the distance control is spot on. In close (I mean I was missing 24" putts routinely) is where it really shines.

Overall, I think the debate of long vs conventional is a good one but when one struggles... the type of head is often overlooked.

Alex

I use a traditional length 34" mallet. I hold the butt of the grip close to my navel, but there is no anchor to the body. I sort of hunch over the ball, so that if I were to drop a ball from the bridge of my nose, it would land on the ball on the putting surface. Hunching over the ball helps me to visualize the line better. Have not really tried a belly or long putter yet. However, if I were to suffer from an extended case of the yips, I would most likely reshaft my putter and give the belly length a try. The long putter seems unwieldy. Standing tall doesn't seem to work well for me. I will continue to hunch over my 34" unless back pain sets in. Played nine holes yesterday with back to back birdies. One putt was an uphill 5 footer. The other was a downhill sloping 14 footer.

I play a 35 inch blade putter from Ping right now, and I will have a 42.5 inch SeeMore belly putter in a few days. Then I will be able to give an accurate comparison between the two and decide which I like better.

I use a 34" traditional putter but ever since I change my putting stroke to emulate the belly putter motion (grip way down and pretend I am using a belly putter) my putting number drops like a stone. I may try a real belly putter during the winter.
I did that with a 35" putter for a few weeks but had to hunch over too much.

I've never used a belly putter nor do I have anywhere near me to even try one. For now I will stick with my 35' choked down.

I've always used a traditional putter. A very basic ping putter. I am considering the Nike Methode core 01 putter though.

Ping C10 long putter for me,technically a better way to putt.

I use a 35" SeeMore Si3. I've always used standard length putters. Having adjustment problems right now, just need to get used to the weight. I'm also trying what Michael Breed showed on Golf Fix one nite where you deloft the putter putting you hands far forward and stroke upwards on the ball. It makes the ball roll smoother. I seems to work.

I tried a store brand belly and long putter last weekend at Sports Authoritaaa.

I liked the belly putter. In fact, I don't think I missed a putt with it. The long putter was not good at all. It was only $50 for the belly, which would be a pretty cheap experiment.

Back