Long putter, belly putter or traditional...what works for you?

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
I've tried the belly putter and did not have much luck, just felt like I did not have much control. I went right back to my 34" putter.
What do you use?

Traditional. Always have, always will. I am not a fan of putters that can be anchored to a human.

Although I agree, Long putters arent anchored.
Traditional. Always have, always will. I am not a fan of putters that can be anchored to a human.

Ive actually moved to a 32 incher for the time being and its worked out extremely well.

Junior, how are belly putters and those chest anchored hybrids not anchored? When someoen says long putter or belly putter I assume that they are anchoring them, not "Levin'ing" them.

Belly putters are definitely anchored, but not every long putter is anchored. I cant really lean either way because you can anchor a short putter too, and I know a ton of great amateur players who anchor their short putter.
Junior, how are belly putters and those chest anchored hybrids not anchored? When someoen says long putter or belly putter I assume that they are anchoring them, not "Levin'ing" them.

Traditional putter length, I have tried out the longer putters in big box stores and have never really gotten a feel for them. I feel like my putting is pretty good, but as everyone else I also feel like there is lots of room for improvement. That is why I will tinker with just about any putter on the practice green to see if it just might be the "magic" wand we all seem to be seeking.

I've tried the belly putter and did not have much luck, just felt like I did not have much control. I went right back to my 34" putter.
What do you use?

I use a 35" Two Ball. I love it, but I may, in coming years, switch to a 32". Maybe A Kombi or NC Flush because I love mallets/mid-mallets

Just purchased a Never Compromise center shafted putter, which I am looking forward to using. It's not a belly or long putter, but glad to have a center shafted again.

I use a traditional length putter 99% of the time, but I'm also using a 43" belly putter right now as I work with my teacher. I doubt I will stick with the longer putter, but I have had issues with breaking my wrists while putting, so we are using the belly putter for me to get the feel and work through the issue.

This is like the forged versus cast debate in iron construction. This is one of the most often debated things in golf. As long as the rules allow the use of long putters, then I could care less if someone uses one. Until they are deemed illegal, they are ok by me. If the use of one makes you a better putter, then use one.

I currently use a short putter. I have tried a belly putter and found i dint have the control on my swing that I wanted. A buddy of mine has a long putter and he is really rolling the ball well with it. I have tried it a couple of times and I liked it, just not enough to get rid of my SeeMore.

All of my putters are 33" in length. I have tried longer and even a few 32" models, and keep returning to the 33" length as it seems ideal...

Traditional for me, always will.

I use my Traditional length Scotty Cameron. It's actual measure is 35", but I have tried longer putters and hated them. I feel like I have no control with them, so I will be sticking with traditional length for now.

45" inch belly putter. My numbers with that are so superior compared to when I used a standard putter that it's ridiculous.

35" for me, i cant stand long putters, just dont feel right

I use a 44.5 inch belly. Really the only thing that kept me playing golf after going thru a very bad case of the yips 3 years ago.

I use a 44.5 inch belly. Really the only thing that kept me playing golf after going thru a very bad case of the yips 3 years ago.

No harm in that. If it works and is legal, go for it. I'm using one right now as I work on my putting with my teacher and may very well stick with it this season. I've never been one to worry about popular opinion. If it is legal and it works, use it.

Messed about with a friend's belly putter a couple of seasons ago. Took some getting used to, but it taught me to stay balanced throughout my putting stroke, and I was missing nothing from within about 5 feet. I didn't get the technique completely, which meant my distance control was off, otherwise I'd have considered bagging one.

35 inch. I will never use a longer putter, they feel weird.

Always used traditional until last year when I started going shorter and now game a 32 inch. Doubt I'll go back unless my back starts hurting.

Tried a belly putter and a long putter, they were not for me...I really like the concept of the belly putter, but just can't get used to it. Traditional for me, most recently a Titleist Kombi. I too love the medium sized mallets.

Although I agree, Long putters arent anchored.

Ive actually moved to a 32 incher for the time being and its worked out extremely well.

32"? arent you like 7' tall? hahaha j/k

i recently cut 2" off of my 35" and im loving it altho i have ole faithful in a 34" just in case
i was really turned off by longer putters when my bro's db friend uses a long one and putts like he's bowling

I tried the belly, but couldn't get used to it. I could keep the line well, but I had little success controlling my distance.

I have tried the belly and the breast putter more than a few times. I just never could figure out how to anchor the damn things so I gave up. 34 inch putter is my normal length however I do have one 35 inch in my stable.

Back