Motoo's Golf Adventure

motoo344

Bearded Bandit
Reaction score
Handicap
Follow my golf adventure around the country!

Back Story

My Equipment

Schedule:

Day 1 - Travel Day

Alright, I made it to Columbia, MD around 6. Hung out for a bit and headed to golf galaxy to pick up some more golf clothes, couldn't find a pair of pants in the length I needed but got a few shirts. I will be leaving here around 9 am tomorrow to head to Williamsburg, probably hang out in the area until tee time at 2 and then leave right after to get Durham, NC between 10pm-12am.

Day 2 - Williamsburg - Golden Horseshoe

The Gold course was in fantastic shape, it reminded me a little of the Pine course from the THP Atlantic City Outing, the course was in much better shape and had a lot of character. It had a natural flow, a lot of trees, narrow fairways and rolling hills. The rough was brutal, I think it was bermuda, short but thick and the ball disappeared in it. Every green was either elevated or way below the tee box. They had just punched the greens which from my experience always makes greens bumpy and hard to read (not like I can anyway!) surprisingly they rolled fantastic and were absolutely the fastest greens I have ever played. My putting has been much better as of late, low 30's, and I ended up with 38 putts today.

Was going to take a shower at the club but I decided to eat a pack of crackers and head out on the 3 hour and 45 minute drive to the Durham, NC area. I85 is a terribly boring road but I made fantastic time, ended up arriving 47 minutes ahead of schedule, left Williamsburg at 7 and pulled into my hotel at 9:58. Tomorrow is going to be another long day, no driving in the morning but a 5 or so hour drive from here to Hilton Head tomorrow. I am really leaning towards taking Thursday off because I want to be feeling good for Harbourtown.

This was number 16, Par 3 150 yards. Great view of the 16 and 17 holes, two of the nicest holes I have seen.

DSC_0249.jpg

Day 3 - North Carolina - UNC Finley

I woke up this morning and did a little planning and booked my room for the Atlanta get together. While Frank was getting all dolled up I did some light reading in the parking lot of the Holiday Inn Express, we met for lunch and then headed over to the course. The course was fantastic, all around and for the $35 dollars it was a steal, I told Frank I was going to move down there just to play this course. Everything was in great shape, greens, rough, fairways, tee boxes and they had a nice practice area as well. The greens were not as quick as the Golden Horseshoe but they rolled true, I did not have any putts that took weird bounces or kicks, ended up with 32 putts today which is much better than my 38 or whatever from yesterday. Had a great time playing with Frank today and I am so glad I went down that way. I definitely hope at some point to come back or meet somewhere else for a round. Unfortunately he tried to get cute and bet $20 dollars a hole, I just did some calculations and he owes me $180 dollars lol. I ended up arriving in Hilton Head at 11:20pm which was 40 minutes ahead of schedule with 2 stop for gas and food. As for tomorrow, I haven't decided what I want to do yet. I feel surprisingly well, I adjusted the seat in my car and my back felt a lot better after that 5 hour drive than it did after the 3.5 drive the night before.

Here is one of my favorite holes from the course today: Hole 15

UNC15.jpg

Day 4 - Hilton Head Island - Hilton Head National

2012-09-27121451.jpg

2012-09-27120210.jpg

MeHHN.jpg

Day 5 - Harbour Town Golf Links

I have been waiting for this since February of 2009, Harbour Town. I will cut to the chase on this because I am exhausted, I will update it more when I get a chance. I played in a group with two other guys and we had a lot of fun, our fore caddie Chris was wonderful, helping where he could and lending words of encouragement. We teed off at 1230, I usually never get nervous for drives but I was on this one, thankfully I hit it right down the middle. Overall it is a great course, the front being less exciting than the back. The course is stern but fair, keep it in the fairway and you will be okay except the holes with overhanging trees. The par 3's were tough, there was carry on all of them, whether it be sand or water. What set this course apart from any other course I have ever played were the greens. You can land the ball soft as can be and it will find a way to roll 10-15 feet. Don't bother hitting the middle of the green unless you have a lot of backspin because it wont stop. The greens were small, there were a few very tough pin placements but they were true. There weren't many big breakers but the speed was brutal, I was pleased that I ended up with only 34 putts today. I shot an honest to god 86 from the white at 6200 yards, no mulligans, did not lose one ball, had a birdie, a few pars, hit 9 or so fairways and a few greens. Actually being out on holes 17 and 18 made the experience worth it. Being able to take the same walk as the pros, even from 75 yards up, is an awesome feeling.

More pictures here.

http://imgur.com/a/lCQ2J

One of my favorite holes, par 3 4th hole.

HBT4.jpg

Number 18
MEHBT.jpg

Tee shot for the par 3 below

HBT14Teeshot.jpg

Hole from the shot above, 7 iron from 140 to 1.5 feet. Made my birdie.

HBT141.jpg

7 Iron onto the green here, a lot of carry, just missed my birdie putt.

HBT132.jpg

Number 18

MEHBT8.jpg

Number 17, ended up hitting it a little left into the bunker. Got out of it fine and just missed a 15 footer for par.

MEHBT16.jpg

Day 6 - THP Atlanta get together

[video=youtube;-zbOrdjsbHk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zbOrdjsbHk&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Todays spoils of war.

2012-09-29230721.jpg
]]

Day 7 - The Long Drive

Nothing all that exciting to report today, a lot of driving, it surprisingly wasn't that bad and even with several significant stops I arrived an hour early to my destination. I picked up a new laptop and one of those flip type cameras. I have some down time tomorrow so I will try and do some videos. Keeping it golf related, one of my detours today.

2012-09-30164541.jpg

Day 8 - Whistling Straits

A few action shots from the course.

Whistling Straits photo gallery.

http://imgur.com/a/HwxPF

Day 9 - Blackwolf Run - Kohler, WI

<strong>

Pics here - http://imgur.com/a/smjeT

Day 10 - A long journey - Kohler, WI to Rapid City, SD.

MEMTRM.jpg

Day 11 & 12

Day 12 & 13 - Denver, CO, Mesquite, NV - Wolf Creek

Photo album - http://imgur.com/a/zPgIC

Day 14, 15, 16 and 17 - Las Vegas, NV

Day 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 - Phoenix, AZ

[video=youtube;9-z7Dszpqgs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-z7Dszpqgs&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Day 23, 24 - Santa Fe & Albuquerque, NM

Day 25, 26, 27 Lubbock & Austin, TX

Day 28 - Memphis, TN

Day 29 - Knoxville , TN

Day 30, 31 - Greenbrier Resort, White Sulphor Springs, WV

Day 32 - Home

First Contest

Last edited:
It was my pleasure to meet you in AC, and I wish you the best of luck on your journey. While we cannot help with the blog, I think using THP and this thread for your journal could be quite therapeutic and based on the members here could be a wonderful way to help you. Im not sure of your plans, but I know a whole lot of people getting together in Atlanta next weekend that would love to put a smile on your face.

Mitch it was nice meeting you at the AC Van Stop. Let me know when you are coming through NC and we can try to get a round in. I'm sorry things have been rough for you over the last couple of years. I hope that you find what you are looking for.

where and when will you be in NC?

The beautiful thing about this place is no matter where you are there is someone close by that will jump at the chance to have a good time with you. I hope this journey helps you find your center, safe travels.

Absolutley you should try and make it to Atlanta this weekend and take off some stress with out worry this time , Just relax and hit the white ball . And if your travels bring you through georgia soon hit me up and we will go play some awesome golf at some fantastic courses , My treat of course !

That sounds very good, keep us updated in this thread like JB said. If you're in SC and anywhere near Clemson, I'd love to play a round with you. Just let me know.

If you head out as far west as Denver, more than welcome to hit me up and sure I could help out with golf or whatever. All the best in your journey.

LtEvO TaPpEd

There is some good golf in Memphis. Let me know when/if you might come through. Good times, too.

Let us know when you head down to Georgia and we will try and work something out. We have plenty of folks here to have a heck of a good time with! Sorry about your loss and I know how ya feel. It hurts and nothing but time will help. Come on down buddy and let's tee er up :thumb:

Mitch it was nice meeting you at the AC Van Stop. Let me know when you are coming through NC and we can try to get a round in. I'm sorry things have been rough for you over the last couple of years. I hope that you find what you are looking for.

It was nice meeting you as well!

If I can actually get tee times on short notice I will try and leave sometime this week and make it down for Atlanta. Where in NC are you located?

If you make it to Kansas City, there's a few of us who would love to play a round of golf with you!

It was nice meeting you as well!

If I can actually get tee times on short notice I will try and leave sometime this week and make it down for Atlanta. Where in NC are you located?

I live in Durham, NC.

Glad to tee it up with you if you make Orlando.

Thanks guys, I have the first leg, of the trip down, like I said not sure where it is going BUT if everything works out I will be in Atlanta on Saturday.

Thanks guys, I have the first leg, of the trip down, like I said not sure where it is going BUT if everything works out I will be in Atlanta on Saturday.
This is good news !

Would love to tee it up in KC if you come this way

I am glad to hear you are going to try to make it to the tour stop in Atlanta. Hanging out with other THPers can do wonders. I know from personal experience after I traveled to Iowa for the tour stop it helped me get back on track after I suffered some personal hardship in the weeks before. If by chance you make it to the left coast just let me know and we'll go knock the ball around a bit.

Thanks everyone, I am set. Playing the Gold Course tomorrow at 2 in Williamsburg, playing with FrankA Wednesday, Thursday may or may not be an off day. I am going to try and be in Hilton Head Wednesday night see how I feel Thursday and go from there but Friday I am playing Harbourtown at 1230! Then it will be off to Atlanta.

Motoo, glad that you're getting out and traveling. Sorry to hear about your struggles, but sometimes a change of scenery will do a man some good. Hope to tee it up with you sometime when you return to the area.

Glad you're going to make it to Atlanta, Mitch. Look forward to meeting you. We have a great group of guys and gals coming this weekend, so it should be a fun time.

If you head north on I-75 from the ATL gathering I'm about an hour and have Monday privileges at my club. That means that if there is nothing scheduled for that monday, I can take three other golfers for a round at no cost. The course is closed so there may or may not be maintenance to play around or through. I don't think there is anything scheduled there next monday if you want to stop here, Motoo (or anyone else) me know if interested and I will double check.

If you get way out here let me no.. I'll meet up with you!! Good luck and I hope you find what your after!

I hope this is the right place for this, if not please move it.

I've met some of you before and some of you know me a little better than others. For those of you that don't know I left my job in November of 2011 to take care of my father who was terminally ill, he passed away in August and it has just been a terrible period of my life. I have essentially been confined to my home minus golfing for the last two years, some of you might have noticed I disappeared at the Atlantic City outing after our Saturday round and that was because I was having a hard time emotionally. I've been lost, sad, scared but one thing that has helped me through everything is golf. I might not be the best golfer but I love it and wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

Anyway, I am not going to get many opportunities to do this but I am trying to organize a golf journey. I would like to depart as soon as possible but not without a plan. I was hoping since this is such a great community that you guys could help me out. I would be leaving from the Philadelphia area and I am either going to head South or West first but I am leaning towards the South. I would love to meet up with anyone that is willing to play, hang out or even just hit the range. Any course suggestions would be great. I haven't decided how far west I am going, I might just go until I don't feel like it anymore.

So far I have a stop in MD, VA, NC, SC and GA. After this I am not sure where to go, as for courses I have Bulle Rock because I have seen some of you have played it, Golden Horseshoe (my dad took me there when I was young), Pinehurst, Harbourtown and Cuscowilla. I am not exactly sure where I want to go after this, shoot north or head further west. I would love to do some sort of blog or just keep it to this thread on my journey! Any help or suggestions would be wonderful.

Moto

Yea, I only got to talk to you for a second while we were waiting to go to the tee. First off - really sorry about all the stuggles - sometimes it seems like life gangs up on you all at once. You deserve this trip bro.
Let me know when in Md - If you have room, I might be able to pull it off. Hell, I play every Sunday with a great group of guys, anywhere from 6 to 24 HC's - you are more than welcome to play if you are in the area man! BTW - have you ever played White Clay Creek?

Edit - Oops - looks like I'm a day late and a dollar short! Well, whenever you get back, you are always welcome to tee it up with me!

Thanks for all the offers and support. I will see how the first leg goes and then where I want to go from there but the next logical stop after Atlanta would be the Memphis area or straight on through to Kansas City and then from there I don't know. I am tempted to just head back Northeast and hit Cog Hill.

Bigball - we can definitely tee it up sometimes, I like White Clay Creek a lot.

Back