Scrap Iron

On The Eh Team
Reaction score
Handicap
Hero Shots
Okay my wife has taken my cleveland cg 16's from my bag. This must mean I get new wedges.:banana:

I'm thinking of the mizuno r12's the scratch 8620 and again the cg 16's. If anyone has played these what do you like and what do you not like?

There's a review thread on the MP R12's. Plenty of good info there. I would also suggest widening your possibilities. A lot of OEMs are coming out with new wedges. The 588's pop to mind for me. You could also check out the SCOR review thread. The testers are doing a good job over there.

Ill push the 588. Best feeling wedge I have ever used.

I guess it really depends on what someone is looking for in a wedge. For me right now I look for maximum versatility, good weighting balance and a perfect leading edge that is not too rounded and not too sharp. Right now its the new Cleveland 588 wedges that do that for me.

Pass on the scratches.

The new Vokeys look amazing but I haven't hit them.

Im partial to the MP R-12s. Great feel, good weighting and theyre a very versatile club that are easy to open the face with. Like the others have said though, theres lots of great options out there and IMO you need to just plan a day to go to the pro shop and see what catches your eye and feels good to you.

If you want some forgiveness you could try the new Mizuno JPX wedge.

I love my Cleveland wedges. Always the top of my list...and I have some older CG11s!

Hopefully this is for a purchase her removing the Wedge and not to used as a weapon chasing you down the driveway. I'll keep an eye on the news just in case.:D

I love my Cleveland wedges. Always the top of my list...and I have some older CG11s!

I love my CG11. Very reliable. If you can find one, I'd suggest that.

I have enjoyed my VR Pro wedges for the limited time I've had them. Just another option. I would say go hit everything you can, of that's possible for you, and see what you like.

My friend has a Scratch and it does nothing for me. I prefer my xFT's and old Vokey's to it. I would add the 588's to your ponder list.

The new Vokeys look amazing but I haven't hit them.
Theyre Vokeys, so 'nuff said. Have you ever known Bob Vokey to design a bad wedge?

My friend has a Scratch and it does nothing for me.
Ive always kind of felt like much of the appeal of Scratch is that they are exclusive and expensive. Great clubs, no doubt but I still feel like the appeal is more in having a club that not many people have.

Yeah the new Vokey SM4 wedges look great

I really still enjoy my MPT-11s. I've had them over a year now and the grooves are starting to dull, but I'll probably replace them with more MPT-11s if nothing new blows me away by the THP outing. The CG 588s do have me intrigued however....

I'm looking for more myself and I am highly considering the 588s, CG16, Vokeys.. Just haven't had the chance to demo any.

I'm now in the market for new wedges (56 and 60). Currently have CG10s that I have had for a few years. Lately, though, I've had a lot of issues with distance control on the 56. And, they're old, and the grooves are starting to wear a bit.

I'm looking at the new Vokeys and 588s. I suspect they are about the same clubs (they certainly look like it). Does anyone have any insight? I'm going to try to hit some this weekend.

I love my CG11. Very reliable. If you can find one, I'd suggest that.

That's because they have inch wide grooves...hehe!

Vokeys and Cleveland 588s get my vote, they both are awesome wedges....

I'm looking at the new Vokeys and 588s. I suspect they are about the same clubs (they certainly look like it). Does anyone have any insight? I'm going to try to hit some this weekend.

They actually are quite different. The weighting feels totally different to me. Both are very good wedges, but I do prefer the 588s for that classic hosel shape they use and the balance in the weighting.

Wedges are so personal. I really think it is going to be hard to see what you like in a store. Maybe you can find a demo day on some real grass somewhere and see what you like. For me, I have been through several CG15 wedges and continue to be in love. I practice my wedges about 85 percent of my practice time and I got to have something that I enjoy pulling out of the bag. I am very intreagued by the 588 wedges, but it is going to be hard to switch from the CG15. I guess the point of this that you gotta find a wedge that you just love. They are more paint brushes than they are golf clubs.

I'd truly be amazed if the new 588 wedges are significantly better than the old. I recently put a set of old 588 RTG's in the bag (49*, 54*, 60*) and couldn't be happier.

In five rounds this past week in Myrtle Beach, I chipped in a couple of times and was consistently close with both pitches and chips. Absolutely LOVED them.

If the new ones manage to share the old charm while offering some modern advancements, anyone in the market for a wedge would just have to at least check them out, imo.

I know it's not on your ponder list. But you should really give SCOR a try. They have a 100% buyback if you don't like them. That fact alone makes them worth a shot.

thanks for all the feed back guys. i think your right i'm gonna wait for the golf store up here to get the 588's then decide.

Back