Nike 20Xi Golf Ball

Nice job all4's.

Nice review all4s
so the X version would not be an option?

Had the chance to play both the X and S version for a couple of rounds. Both had great and comparable distance off the tee and I gained on average 5 more yards on my drive from the One Tour D (the ball on multiple occasions I have been fitted for). I personally liked the S version a little more because it felt softer on solid contact and it felt like I was really compressing the ball. Plus around the green I had a little more control and precision

I was actually able to play one ball for my entire round and while it definitely at the end had evidence of scuff marks, I guess I just tolerate that a little more. I did not notice a great deal of difference in performance in the beginning and at the end of the round

Nice review all4s
so the X version would not be an option?

I can't say without trying it, but I doubt it. I would expect the X to feel firmer compression wise and clickier cover wise. I will still probably try it, but right now I still favor the Penta TP from a subjective viewpoint. I would bet $ though that a ball fitting session would say that the 20Xi X is the best ball for me. Because my clubhead speed is just barely high enough to achieve compression for the firmer versions, they always recommend the distance version of premium balls for me=ProV1x, Tour D, B330, Cally i(x), etc. But I like a softer feeling ball on everything but a driver, so I am conflicted between what I like to feel and what the data says.

Had the chance to sneak in 18 today holes today and since it is Derby day the course was really open for a Saturday. So I took the opportunity to compare the 20XI-S, the Penta TP and the ProV1x; shot for shot. I played every shot with all 3 balls, switching the order on every shot, for the first 9 holes. That allowed me to eliminate the ProV1x and I played the 20XI and Penta head to head the last 9 holes on every shot. I was swinging well today, so it was a great day for comparing them. Here is how they performed for me:

DRIVING
-The 20XI is now my favorite ball to drive with, hands down. I couldn't tell any real difference in distance between the balls, but there was a clear difference in trajectory and shot shapes for me with the 20XI-S. It is hard to describe, but the ball comes out like a rocket (the high MOI maybe?), climbs beautifully but then the flight "softens" and it quits turning with the shot shape and just keeps boring ahead. I hit the exact same fade on a hole today and the 20XI was the only one to stay in the fairway because by the time it was descending it was going more forward than left to right than the other 2 balls. I suppose that has to mean it has less sidespin. It also gets me a few extra yards of roll. I'm infatuated with it off the the driver.
1) 20XI-S
2) Penta TP
3) ProV1x

IRONS
-very little difference between them other than the trajectory of the 20XI being a little lower than the rest and again, it seems to stop moving with the shot shape as it reaches it's pinnacle and always came down more vertically than the other 2. It spins in the middle of the pack.
1) Penta TP
2) 20XI-S (maybe too much spin for me, but I think I could adapt to it)
3) ProV1x (definitely too much spin for me)

WEDGES
-basically a tie

PUTTER
-the Penta TP feels the best to me, but I made the most putts with the 20XI. Hard to pick one over the other really.

FEEL
-they all feel great but the Penta feels a bit softer than either of the other 2 to me, particularly off the putter. It is hard to honestly tell the difference off the other clubs.
1) Penta TP
2) ProV1x
3) 20XI-S

DISTANCE
-dead heat. I can't tell much of a difference in them but suspect that the 20XI might get me a little more roll.

SPIN
-this was the most surprising part of today. After yesterday I was sure the 20XI spins too much for me. After today I would instead say it spins as much as I can stand, but not too much. I like that I can dial up a ton of spin when I need it, which I can't do with the Penta TP. Or I can just hit it normal and factor for the backspin based on the club. This the category that got the ProV1x dropped from consideration for the last 9 holes. I steadily backed it up 2-3 times more than desired. I stood no chance of getting near back pins today with the V1x as it always landed hole high and sucked back to the middle or worse the fringe.
1) 20XI-S
2) Penta TP
3) ProV1x

DURABILITY
-this is the worst aspect for all 3 of these balls. They all were unplayable after today's round. The 20XI-S is the most prone to "whiskers" after an iron/wedge shot and I found myself pulling them off after marking the ball on several holes. The Penta is the least likely to have shavings or whiskers but shows the most general wear throughout a round, due to the softest cover I guess. It doesn't take much to scratch the cover. The ProV1x was the most durable and I never thought I'd be using the words "durable" and ProV1x in the same sentence. I took a picture of the 20XI and Penta TP after the same 100 yard, 54* Vokey SM wedge (1 year old club) shot in which they both were hit as close to identically as I can imagine. You can see the 20XI looks a little rougher but both were worse for wear. BTW-the Penta spun back 3 feet in front it's landing mark, the 20XI spun back 10 feet in front of it's landing mark.

CONCLUSION
-I am 1000% convinced that a fitting session would tell me the 20XI-S is the best ball for me. I am also pretty sure it is the ball I am going to try and play for a while to see if I can tame the spin. I love the trajectory and ballflight too much not to give it a try.

Thanks for sharing All4s. Very nice write up.

Had the chance to sneak in 18 today holes today and since it is Derby day the course was really open for a Saturday. So I took the opportunity to compare the 20XI-S, the Penta TP and the ProV1x; shot for shot. I played every shot with all 3 balls, switching the order on every shot, for the first 9 holes. That allowed me to eliminate the ProV1x and I played the 20XI and Penta head to head the last 9 holes on every shot. I was swinging well today, so it was a great day for comparing them. Here is how they performed for me:

DRIVING
-The 20XI is now my favorite ball to drive with, hands down. I couldn't tell any real difference in distance between the balls, but there was a clear difference in trajectory and shot shapes for me with the 20XI-S. It is hard to describe, but the ball comes out like a rocket (the high MOI maybe?), climbs beautifully but then the flight "softens" and it quits turning with the shot shape and just keeps boring ahead. I hit the exact same fade on a hole today and the 20XI was the only one to stay in the fairway because by the time it was descending it was going more forward than left to right than the other 2 balls. I suppose that has to mean it has less sidespin. It also gets me a few extra yards of roll. I'm infatuated with it off the the driver.
1) 20XI-S
2) Penta TP
3) ProV1x

IRONS
-very little difference between them other than the trajectory of the 20XI being a little lower than the rest and again, it seems to stop moving with the shot shape as it reaches it's pinnacle and always came down more vertically than the other 2. It spins in the middle of the pack.
1) Penta TP
2) 20XI-S (maybe too much spin for me, but I think I could adapt to it)
3) ProV1x (definitely too much spin for me)

WEDGES
-basically a tie

PUTTER
-the Penta TP feels the best to me, but I made the most putts with the 20XI. Hard to pick one over the other really.

FEEL
-they all feel great but the Penta feels a bit softer than either of the other 2 to me, particularly off the putter. It is hard to honestly tell the difference off the other clubs.
1) Penta TP
2) ProV1x
3) 20XI-S

DISTANCE
-dead heat. I can't tell much of a difference in them but suspect that the 20XI might get me a little more roll.

SPIN
-this was the most surprising part of today. After yesterday I was sure the 20XI spins too much for me. After today I would instead say it spins as much as I can stand, but not too much. I like that I can dial up a ton of spin when I need it, which I can't do with the Penta TP. Or I can just hit it normal and factor for the backspin based on the club. This the category that got the ProV1x dropped from consideration for the last 9 holes. I steadily backed it up 2-3 times more than desired. I stood no chance of getting near back pins today with the V1x as it always landed hole high and sucked back to the middle or worse the fringe.
1) 20XI-S
2) Penta TP
3) ProV1x

DURABILITY
-this is the worst aspect for all 3 of these balls. They all were unplayable after today's round. The 20XI-S is the most prone to "whiskers" after an iron/wedge shot and I found myself pulling them off after marking the ball on several holes. The Penta is the least likely to have shavings or whiskers but shows the most general wear throughout a round, due to the softest cover I guess. It doesn't take much to scratch the cover. The ProV1x was the most durable and I never thought I'd be using the words "durable" and ProV1x in the same sentence. I took a picture of the 20XI and Penta TP after the same 100 yard, 54* Vokey SM wedge (1 year old club) shot in which they both were hit as close to identically as I can imagine. You can see the 20XI looks a little rougher but both were worse for wear. BTW-the Penta spun back 3 feet in front it's landing mark, the 20XI spun back 10 feet in front of it's landing mark.

CONCLUSION
-I am 1000% convinced that a fitting session would tell me the 20XI-S is the best ball for me. I am also pretty sure it is the ball I am going to try and play for a while to see if I can tame the spin. I love the trajectory and ballflight too much not to give it a try.

Very nice job, thats how the S was for me (picture) but i had them all over the ball when i tossed them, prob 6 or 7 just like that, i loved the performance from it just cant change balls every 4 holes, Zstar, Tour i(s), Penta, B330RX has all lasted me at least a full round before getting tossed

Great review All4's. Played the X version and wasn't impressed. Didn't outperform my everyday ball so no need to look at that particualr ball. Will try out a sleeve of the S's and see if I have similar issues with durabilty. I can usually get 18 holes out of a Penta so I'll be interested to see what happens with the S.

After hitting my B330RX into the water I grabbed one of these new Nike balls that I had left from my last round. First shot was my drop from the water ball which left me a PW into the green. Hit the Nike high and soft for a chance to save par. Then proceeded to 3 jack for a double lol. But I really liked this ball. It was great off the driver and just as good as everything else with the other clubs. I had no issues with durability either. Probably wont play it due to price but its a very good ball, probably the best Nike ball to date IMO.

After reading all of these recent posts, I think I will stick with the B-330 RX, I don't have the cover issues I am reading about here at all, and I see no need to chance it. I get a full round from the RX and usually it is a very good practice ball for a round after that.

I was eyeing these at Dicks today but just could not pull the trigger. Last year I would have bought some without question, but since joining THP I love seeing all the honest feedback and it has helped me narrow down my equipment this year, especially my ball.

I was eyeing these at Dicks today but just could not pull the trigger. Last year I would have bought some without question, but since joining THP I love seeing all the honest feedback and it has helped me narrow down my equipment this year, especially my ball.

i agree, you always get honest feedback on here, if its not good your going to know it and if its great your going to know it. I had high hopes for this ball but went through 2 in 8 holes today, switched to the Zstar and used it the rest of the round and its not nearly as bad as the 20XIs was after 4 holes.

Yeah I know everyone's opinion here can always be different and some equipment will work better for some than others. And while I can't argue that it sounds like the 20XI might be a decent ball, it sounds like a majority of those on here that have played it do not like the durability at all. I've finally gotten my game to a level where I am hardly losing any balls, I don't want to have to buy balls just as often now just because the ones I play get scuffed up really bad, lol.

Yeah I know everyone's opinion here can always be different and some equipment will work better for some than others. And while I can't argue that it sounds like the 20XI might be a decent ball, it sounds like a majority of those on here that have played it do not like the durability at all. I've finally gotten my game to a level where I am hardly losing any balls, I don't want to have to buy balls just as often now just because the ones I play get scuffed up really bad, lol.

haha very true, i ended up shooting a 89 today but really played like i should of shot high 70's, hit everything well today but lost 5 balls today just off the fairway from the rough being so thick, those strokes killed me, i also had tons and tons of putts lip out or burn the edge, my card today didnt do me justice lol

Very nice All4's. Enjoyed the read

Great info All4s... The Penta is still my gamer... but the 20XI-S is right there.
I found out most of what I thought my durability issues was my new Vr wedges... They were shredding my Pentas too. I went back to my old Ping Tour W's and it was much better. The 20XI-S are still not quite as durable as the Pentas and I have a little bit better greenside control with the Pentas. Both will get more testing as the weather starts getting better here in the NE.

Thanks guys.

I played another 18 with the 20XI-S today and this is my new ball for now. The durability was better today, in part because I played a longer course and had more mid irons than wedges, unlike yesterday. I played all 18 holes with 1 ball and it could have gone another 18.

I still like the feel of the Penta TP fractionally better, but the ballflight, trajectory, spin and overall performance of this ball have won me over for now.

EDIT: For perspective I thought I should add that I have been playing the Penta TP for the last year after a pretty exhaustive search to select it.

Last edited:
I played with the S a few holes this past weekend hadnt really had a chance to really test it to be able to trust it in a round but I saw no durability issues with the ball, and I hit quite a few wedges with it, maybe its because of the conforming grooves.

I played with the S a few holes this past weekend hadnt really had a chance to really test it to be able to trust it in a round but I saw no durability issues with the ball, and I hit quite a few wedges with it, maybe its because of the conforming grooves.

Mustng I was thinking the same thing. The first few rounds I didnt hit many wedges and the 20XI was holding up really well as my irons are conforming. I actually considered switching out my wedges for new conforming wedges so I'd never really have to buy balls again. My VR wedges are putting some decent size cuts in both the 20XI and B330 when I hit them full.

Bought a sleeve of the S a couple of days ago to try out so I took one out on a couple of holes where I can really get a hold of one without fear of losing it. Distance for me was roughly the same as the ZStar but the feel off the driver was on par. It didn't feel like a rock nor did it feel like mush. I had a full wedge shot for a second and the spin is fabulous on this ball. One hop check a foot away. Drilled the putt and the feel on this feels a bit firmer than the ZStar off the putter. Durability wise, I can see where there are some issues with this ball. I only played one hole with this ball and I had a full scuff after my wedge shot and some abrasions after my drive. Definitely something I didn't see in such a short period of time in any of the comparable balls in this category. I think that's where it'll be difficult to justify the price for use on these balls.

I can honestly say for the price it's not for me. It's a great ball though and I think Nike might have something with their new tech on this ball. It's definitely the best Nike ball I've played to date.

Mustng I was thinking the same thing. The first few rounds I didnt hit many wedges and the 20XI was holding up really well as my irons are conforming. I actually considered switching out my wedges for new conforming wedges so I'd never really have to buy balls again. My VR wedges are putting some decent size cuts in both the 20XI and B330 when I hit them full.

I know someone will come on here and say thats not what it is, but thats the only logical thing that makes sense to me. And I have played every top premium ball that has come out with my conforming grooves and durability has never really been an issue, unless I hit a tree or the cart path.

There definitely may be something to this depending on the lie you are hitting from.

I really like this ball, but so far in 3 rounds, these become completely torn up (as you can see from the pics) after about 6 holes.

So it seems like those that tried the S version are seeing durability issues and those that tried the X are not? I tried the X and didnt see any problems with it.

So it seems like those that tried the S version are seeing durability issues and those that tried the X are not? I tried the X and didnt see any problems with it.

I had issues with the X as well Kev. One of the pics shows the X ball. I have been alternating.

Back