Odyssey Versa Putter Preview

Lots of hate on the apparent buttery, buttery softness of the Versa. I think the Versa feeds on the hate.

I am in serious ponder mode on this one. Can't wait to try it in person. The W/B/W #7 is calling.

No hate from me, I just don't get along with the White Hot insert. If this had a MX insert, I'd be pondering a Versa 90 #7 pretty hard.

Sound is feel. Soft inserts mute the sound at impact. This insert really muffles the sound. I don't like it.

Bingo. Lack of sound from the insert equals the "soft" feel.

I like the roll, hate the lack of audible feedback.

I saw these in Golf Galaxy yesterday.......3 different Versa styles for the #7..........alas still no center shaft model. Pardo the crappy cell phone pic

29005BCD.jpg

I saw these in Golf Galaxy yesterday.......3 different Versa styles for the #7..........alas still no center shaft model. Pardo the crappy cell phone pic

29005BCD.jpg

I really liked the first two in that picture for the #7 model

Tapping away on my S3

29005BCD.jpg
I really like the first one. The other too, not so much.

I am not sure why the went to the White Hot insert with these....put a Metal X insert in one and then you would be talking!

Agree with that sentiment - I love my Metal X #6, that insert is money for the greens I play on.

I really like the first one. The other too, not so much.

Yeah, that's the one I liked too....it truly is like a giant RST like SeeMore uses

Sound is feel. Soft inserts mute the sound at impact. This insert really muffles the sound. I don't like it.

Bingo. Lack of sound from the insert equals the "soft" feel.

I like the roll, hate the lack of audible feedback.
It's interesting because I can feel the feedback in my hands. I know people like to say sound it feel and the sound on versa is to loud but the feel I get is greater than the metal x.

I wonder though what the sound/feel is like with a ProV or the like vs. an NXT or Wilson Staff or something like that. Also, speaking of alignment with the putter, I saw kingdom59 with a rife sale. I've never held a rife personally, but I've heard there's some sort of alignment system there too. Anyone care to explain it to me?

So, how does the vertical alignment come into play on these two putters?

putters-2013-versa-90-7___1.png

putters-2013-versa-90-7-black___1.png

I get where they are coming from with the other two styles, but these are both opposite of the rest of the entire line (aside from the 2ball).

I get where they are coming from with the other two styles, but these are both opposite of the rest of the entire line (aside from the 2ball).

My guess is that it's just a new play on the two-ball style.

Im with you, just not my style, but im sure it will work for plenty out there

Hate to say it, but I just wouldn't ever play one. Not considering that you can get the same designs and a couple inserts to choose from in a normal looking package. I'm old and boring though.

As for the last post - mainly my point is, with the four #7's, two of the styles don't have any of the Versa tech in them, aside from a 2-tone color scheme. The other two use the vertical color blocks, but the two I pictured go away from that completely. Just an odd choice to me that they'd do that.

I have no idea, if the point of the BWB or WBW is the degree of difference, I don't see how that comes into play with this or the two ball, but the weird part is these and the 2 ball are the only ones I could see myself gaming. I can't wait to see what they look like in person and while putting.

These are like the only two designs that I can actually understand even after laying hands on a few different models briefly this weekend, but it's an entirely different design that the vertical striping of all the other models. If you were constantly watching your putts in super slo-mo, maybe I could understand the feedback of the vertical stripes, but in real-time, I'm just not smart enough to understand.

On the other hand, these #7s with the horizontal alignment framed the ball pretty nicely. I've become a center-shafted person myself, and that was the main thing missing from these for me. The face just felt like the normal old White Hot face which I don't mind.

It's interesting because I can feel the feedback in my hands. I know people like to say sound it feel and the sound on versa is to loud but the feel I get is greater than the metal x.

I couldn't feel anything through my hands with the Versa models. It felt like it hitting a golf ball with a stick of butter thats been in the sun for about 3 hours. No sound and no feel and no feedback. On the Metal-X, I could feel the feedback and also it had some audible feedback. Much more my prefrence.

I rolled both versions of the 7 and the 9, and I rolled the white 2ball. I like them, but I am happier with my SeeMore's...

Ahhh! My eyes! Putters arent supposed to look like zebras!

Hit it at Dick's the other day. Couldn't stand it. I'm sorry but the look was very distracting and I couldn't make any quality putts. It was visually queer and not for me. Maybe for someone else but I didn't like it. Sorry, just my 2 cents

Versa wasn't as distracting as I thought it'd be, at all.

Back