Odyssey Versa Putter Preview

got a chance to roll quite a few models the other day at golf galaxy while waiting to get in the bay to hit the Xtreme..... As most know i am not a huge insert fan but i was glad to see the inserts were a little harder than the white ice insert that i've tried before. so i got a little more feedback still not sure if it was enough for me personally. i think some of the models work well and i could see the way that the Versa could help some people but i could also see how some models were distracting to my eye. I do like the #7 models with the vertical alignment i think that would be more helpful for me and my eye personally. def gonna have to give them a roll, they didn't have that model at the store.

I got to roll these the other day. I tried the B/w/b #1, the b/w/b #7, and the white 2ball. I must say that I really like the 2ball the best. Just lined up really well and I surprisingly liked the insert. Not as soft as the old white hot but definitely softer than the metal-x. Looking forward to giving these a couple more go arounds.

Rolled the Number 7 Black inside with white on the outside the other day and liked it quite a bit; made the putter feel much smaller looking down and helped with alignment. I rather liked the roll of the ball off the putter face. Quite nice.

My whole family played with Zebra putters for like 7 years lol

Haha. Yeah my dad had a few and growing up he didn't use them anymore so that's what I used for a couple of years. Really good putters IMO.

I got to roll these the other day. I tried the B/w/b #1, the b/w/b #7, and the white 2ball. I must say that I really like the 2ball the best. Just lined up really well and I surprisingly liked the insert. Not as soft as the old white hot but definitely softer than the metal-x. Looking forward to giving these a couple more go arounds.

I know it's an "acquired" taste, but I really wish Odyssey would bring the two-ball F-7 back into its usual lineup. I'm a huge fan of the #7 style, but adding the two-ball feature puts it over the top for me. I've tried (several times) to replace my White Ice two-ball F-7, but I can't find a replacement.

Having that style putter in the Versa line would be incredible. I may have to settle for the W/B/W #7, though. Really like the look and feel of it.

Im pretty interested in this line. Kinda hard to see how it would help through pics, but I can see it helping me more than the DART system they had before. Looking forward to checking them out in person.

Im pretty interested in this line. Kinda hard to see how it would help through pics, but I can see it helping me more than the DART system they had before. Looking forward to checking them out in person.

I like this, I did not like the look of the DART system putters at all. However the Versa does not instantly turn me off, I would like to give it a try.

I like this, I did not like the look of the DART system putters at all. However the Versa does not instantly turn me off, I would like to give it a try.

I think for me when I tried a lot of the models there were some I felt worked and others that didn't for me I feel comfortable with a lot of different models. But some just didn't seem right for me or like I said distracting but I think with all the options odyssey has out this year I dunno how you couldn't find something that works for you.

I was one of those who disliked the look when I first saw them, and somewhat wrote the "alignment" idea of as gimmicky. I now have a #7 W/B/W with the black insert in the bag. After rolling a few putts with one in a big-box store last week, I realized that a) the idea of using a contrasting edge to help alignment really does work, and b) the feel of the new insert is awesome.

The combination of the #7 shape and the alignment features really make this putter super easy to set up and get putts rolling on line.

Did you go with the vertical color scheme?

I went with the "Zebra" scheme - not sure if that is the vertical one you mean.........

This one?

putters-2013-versa-7___1.png

I liked the White Hot inserts. Nothing spectacular about them, but they were always sort of a benchmark for me. Is the new one much different?

I was one of those who disliked the look when I first saw them, and somewhat wrote the "alignment" idea of as gimmicky. I now have a #7 W/B/W with the black insert in the bag. After rolling a few putts with one in a big-box store last week, I realized that a) the idea of using a contrasting edge to help alignment really does work, and b) the feel of the new insert is awesome.

The combination of the #7 shape and the alignment features really make this putter super easy to set up and get putts rolling on line.
Slowly I am becoming quite enamored with the Versa #7, particularly that W/B/W one. Can't wait to roll some putts with one soon.

You beat me to it, just tried to attach a pic of this as well. Yep this is the one I went with. The 90 model didn't do anything for me. The new one is different - difficult to explain exactly how, but it feels a little firmer but more responsive (if that makes sense) and more consistent. I used to find the original White Hot insert a little dead at times.

Right on man. Congrats on the new putter and good luck with it.

I had the opportunity of checking out the versa line up close and personal today and I was shocked at how much I didn't mind the new look. I guess with all the white out there, this look isn't all that crazy as I first thought.

They also had a cool mat to show the closed/open heads as they were discussing at the show. It's soft so you're able to rest the putter on top to see the differences and check out the alignment aid as it should be -- Pretty cool. I didn't roll them all but I did give the #1 wide a roll (as I liked that look from the black series) and had some success with it. Not too hard to get squared and it looks surprisingly good at address. Insert was great, moreso than the metal X for me.

Surprised to say the least -- I didn't hate them at all.

I was much the same, extremely pessimistic at first, but after actually getting them in hand it wasn't bad at all. I just wish there was a CS model.

I had the opportunity of checking out the versa line up close and personal today and I was shocked at how much I didn't mind the new look. I guess with all the white out there, this look isn't all that crazy as I first thought.

They also had a cool mat to show the closed/open heads as they were discussing at the show. It's soft so you're able to rest the putter on top to see the differences and check out the alignment aid as it should be -- Pretty cool. I didn't roll them all but I did give the #1 wide a roll (as I liked that look from the black series) and had some success with it. Not too hard to get squared and it looks surprisingly good at address. Insert was great, moreso than the metal X for me.

Surprised to say the least -- I didn't hate them at all.
Very interesting, I'm not super fond based on looks, but I'm holding judgement until I see them in person, sounds like it struck a good chord with you.

I was much the same, extremely pessimistic at first, but after actually getting them in hand it wasn't bad at all. I just wish there was a CS model.

I wish people listened to me, I said they looked good and felt good. But nooooo, can't take my word for it. :D

Very interesting, I'm not super fond based on looks, but I'm holding judgement until I see them in person, sounds like it struck a good chord with you.

At first look I compared them to Oreos... Rolling them on the Galaxy store greens, I didn't get that at all.. Just a functional way of aligning the ball.

I'm also a really, really big fan of clean lines and I think that is accomplished really well on a number of these.

I wish people listened to me, I said they looked good and felt good. But nooooo, can't take my word for it. :D

I've tried more then a few times, I still can't like them. I get what they are going for but it's just not for me.

More than you know brother.. I wouldn't have bothered with them if it weren't for the great advertising through social media and the commentary in this thread.

I've tried more then a few times, I still can't like them. I get what they are going for but it's just not for me.

I am with you here.

I think the inset feels very good. I just find it more distracting than helpful if I worry about that instead of making my stroke.

Back