"Proper" Bag Set-up

White Rhino

SANDBAGGER!!!!!!!
Reaction score
I would like to hear different people chime in on this one. I will begin the discussion talking about what I am going through and then feel free to give opinions and suggesitons as we go.

Like many people here, I am anxiously waiting for the Mashie to be released by :cleveland: and I am ready to purchase at least one or maybe 2 for my bag for the 2011 season. Presently I carry a 14*, 18.5* and 23* hybrid and at this point I am pondering purchasing a 18.5* and/or a 20.5* and put those in my bag. This leads me to question #1 What is the "right number" of hybrids to have?? Is haveing three so close (18.5, 20.5 and 23) overkill? Would I be better served to just get a 20.5 and remove my current 18.5 and 23 and carry only 2 hybrids?? I know when speaking of wedges those in the know suggest spacing between the wedges to be 4-5 degrees. Does that hold true with longer clubs or with them is it more of a distance thing, seperating te clubs by 10-15 yard increments no matter what the degree stated on the club is marked.

Another point to toss out there for comments is I am noticing that I from one round to the next there are certain clubs I use much more than others, I find my 5i and 6I to be two clubs that rarely get to touch the course. Just seems to workout that way. Knowing my comfort level with hybrids (especially Nickent brand) would you guys suggest taking out the 5i and 6i (27* and 30*) and adding Nickent's # 5 or 6 hybrid which I believe is 29*?

I look forward to hearing what you guys think or suggest.

I would replace them instantly if you hit them better/have more confidence with the hybrid. I try to limit every bit of doubt when it comes to what's in my bag. Granted my bag is under renovation right now, so I'm in a similar spot as you in regards to hybrid lots and effective/repeatable distances.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

If you hit hybrids better, than I would replace them. Also, the degree of loft isn't so important. It's more of how far you hit each one. Although that is a little tougher to fine tune.

I just wanted to point out that as long as you have a consistent gap in between clubs, don't worry if one club is only ie. 2* stronger than the next.

I can't hit hybrids to save my skin. I hit my irons much better. However if you hit them better than you hit your irons and those two irons hardly ever get any use, I would change them out.

If the 5 and 6 irons rarely see any action why replace them with a 5 or 6 hybrid, wouldn't it sit in the bag too ? I would just take the least used iron between the 5 and 6 out of the bag and replace it with a wedge or something and just leave the other one in the bag . Why spend money on 1 or 2 hybrids to replace irons you don't even use ? It just seems like overkill to me . You could use the money and bag space that you saved on a wedge, a specialty club like a niblick or maybe even a 3-wd . Thats just my .02 tho, do whatever you think is best for your game .

I don't think it will ever settle down. Once you start adding and removing clubs from your bag, it's about impossible to find the perfect set up! You see a company come out with a 23.5 hybrid and you'll think 'ooh, that might fill the gap between my 23 and my 24!'

It's just a symptom of being a golfer, and reading this equipment forum!!

I think I've been asking myself that same type of question... I'm caught up in the hype people tell me, which is, "KEEP the 3-wood (15*), you can tee off with it and you need them par 5's" BUT the fact is... I hit the 3-wood off the deck about 215 yards (inconsistently). meanwhile, i hit a 19* hybrid 200 yards (consistently)... so I'm thinking, do I try the 17* and hope to get at least another 15 yards out of it, or more?? maybe find a 16* or a 15*?? Who makes those? Ping? Adams?

Hmmm.. me thinks the_paulo is right. We're here looking for enablers. :)

You mention the 5i and 6i don't see much action, is this because you're not comfortable with them and don't see consistant yardage or the yardage they provide doesn't come by often on the course??

I think the beauty of golf is that there is no "proper" way to set up ones bag. To each their own, whatever works for you. If you feel like you're not using a club or 2 then bail on them for a bit. Put something else in and see if you really miss it or not

I don't always post remotely but when I do, I use Tapatalk.

well, to address your iron/hybrid dilemma, i am a big proponent of using what works best for you. if you find more success out of hybrids, then hit them. i can't help but think that maybe a set like the HB3's would be nothing short of perfect for you but that's another discussion.

i'm kind of the exact opposite in that i hardly notice any gaps at the top end of my bag and i go driver, 3wood, 3iron. lucky for me though, my 3iron is 18* so i have a fairly small * gap between my 3w and my 3iron. personally, i think 2-2.5* is way to close in the top of the bag, heck, sometimes i wonder if i even need a 3wood myself as well as i hit my 3iron, but i like my 3wood.

ultimately, put golf clubs in your bag that make you happy, you enjoy hitting, don't put something in there b/c you feel as though you have to.

I think the beauty of golf is that there is no "proper" way to set up ones bag. To each their own, whatever works for you. If you feel like you're not using a club or 2 then bail on them for a bit. Put something else in and see if you really miss it or not

I don't always post remotely but when I do, I use Tapatalk.

+1000 on this. Rhino play what works for you and your bag does not have to look like a tour pro, TC's, JB's or ole gray's bag. You got to walk your walk and life is short. Play what makes you the most comfortable out on the course. If you like a bag full of hybrids, so be it dude :golf2:

Cleveland HB3

Cleveland HB3

I believe Cleveland makes a full set of hybrid looking clubs?

Rhino!

The bag is the hardest thing to get settled. It was suggested earlier to go by distance andnot by degree which is a really good point. In fact when I look at Mashie's Ill be doing the same. Might even replace my 3w with the 15.5* depending on distance and gaps.

For your case, mainly focus on distance and what would be acceptable to you. I think 10-15 yards is a good gap at the top (maybe a little more dropoff between the top and iron'ish portion, and even driver to 3w type club). Also, I think confidence with clubs is key. Really doesnt matter what you have in there as long as it works for you. I've seen some guys with huge distance gaps but they could control the clubs they had.

WR, I would think 18.5, 20.5 and 23 would be overkill for me, but everyone has their game. I personally want less gaps in the bottom tier and with only 14 clubs any gaps would go to the upper two thirds, (hybrids).

The big problem that had me all messed up for most of the year was trying to come up with one bag for every course and I gave that up. For instance, playing most of these courses close to home are a ton different than say what I play in Omaha, or Florida. We have a little room to miss where you just don't have that option many places. Locally I can get away with thinning out a wedge and adding a distance club, but on the tighter courses I typically pull my 23* hybrid and add my gap wedge back in. It really comes down to what you are comfortable with.

Keep in mind that a typical #5 or #6 hybrid may be one club longer than the same number iron. That's not always the case, but has been for me.

Good luck.

I don't think it will ever settle down. Once you start adding and removing clubs from your bag, it's about impossible to find the perfect set up! You see a company come out with a 23.5 hybrid and you'll think 'ooh, that might fill the gap between my 23 and my 24!'

It's just a symptom of being a golfer, and reading this equipment forum!!

SO very true. Well said!!!

You mention the 5i and 6i don't see much action, is this because you're not comfortable with them and don't see consistant yardage or the yardage they provide doesn't come by often on the course??

Just dont see action much, I can hit my 7iron roughly 150-155, the 23 hybrid goes 170-180 and I usually wll grab the 23 hybrid even if I am 160ish and not try to nuke a 7iron. That is why the 5 and 6 dont get used much

well, to address your iron/hybrid dilemma, i am a big proponent of using what works best for you. if you find more success out of hybrids, then hit them. i can't help but think that maybe a set like the HB3's would be nothing short of perfect for you but that's another discussion.

ultimately, put golf clubs in your bag that make you happy, you enjoy hitting, don't put something in there b/c you feel as though you have to.

I am playing the XLIs which is the previous version of the HB3s or are you suggesting I look at HB3s (or Xlis) 3iron -PW ( you can answer privately)

I believe Cleveland makes a full set of hybrid looking clubs?

See above with the XLis

Thank you everyone who has answered. I appreciate the input and suggestions. I know it ultimately comes down to play what I am most comfortable with but I still wanted to hear the thoughts of others. Please continue to post after this msg if you are so inclined.

This gets a huge thumbs up from me. If you can't/don't like to hit it, why carry it? Maybe it's a club you still work on at the range, but until you like to hit it and are confident with it, I see no point in taking up bag space with it. I have a friend who carries two 5 woods he picked up at yard sales. Somehow he hits them different distances and shot shapes but because he doesn't waste bag space on 3 woods or lob wedges (neither of which his game is ready for) he's got the room for both of these clubs and it works for him.

I agree with those saying there is no proper set up for a bag, go with what YOU like. I have a driver, 3 Wood then 3 iron is the next longest club. Many have told me I need to "fill the gap" but honestly I see no need to, if it is a distance my 3 iron can't get to I am best served just laying up for MY game.

I have in the past swaped the 3 wood out for a 4 wood if I was playing a shorter course and used the 4 wood as a driver all round. While I haven't done that in a few years, I can see why people would change their setup for different courses.

The proper bag setup should include no hybrids or cavity backs, it should be all blades. You'll then have to spend all your time practicing them to discover perfect ball striking. Then you can take them to the course to walk a round so you can be considered a serious golfer.

Spoiler
Muahahah... sorry, I had to slip that one in there.

Actually I've been considering dropping my 5i for a hybrid since I was having a rough time with the 5i most of last season. I usually set myself up so I didn't have to use it most of the time. I am also thinking of finding a 17 or 18 degree hybrid to fill in between my 3w and 3h. The options are nearly endless. Just do what works for you.

WR as a general rule you want about a 3* gap in the longer clubs in the bag. That loft change along with the difference in length will get you the 10-12 yard gaps that you are looking for. Now keep in mind that is a general rule. What you are looking for is what ever it takes to get you the proper gapping in the bag. 10-12 yard gaps is ideal. You need to do what it takes to get that done to make the bag work for you. I hope that makes some sense.

WR as a general rule you want about a 3* gap in the longer clubs in the bag. That loft change along with the difference in length will get you the 10-12 yard gaps that you are looking for. Now keep in mind that is a general rule. What you are looking for is what ever it takes to get you the proper gapping in the bag. 10-12 yard gaps is ideal. You need to do what it takes to get that done to make the bag work for you. I hope that makes some sense.

You always make sense Andy, thanks for the input!

I think it depends on how you swing. If you like to swing the same way with a very repetitive tempo then you might want all 3 hybrids to cover your distance gaps. If you are comfortable with adding and taking yardage off of clubs (how I play) then you can get away with using 1 or 2. I just use one 4i 23' Cobra Baffler and it covers everything for me from 190 to 230 yards. I'm very comfortable choking down or up on the club and it is very predictable what yardage it goes when i do. My best friend is the opposite, is pretty mechanical and likes to swing the same and let the loft dictate the distance.

So Andy, is that a rule for just your long irons or long irons and fairways? I go from my driver (9.5*) to my 3 wood (15*) to my 3 hybrid (21*) to my 4 iron (24*). So I have a 6* gap between my wood and hybrid. I like having a hybrid that more or less fits with my irons. The Nike lines go together in that regard. To be considered "proper" then would I need another fairway or hybrid?

I took out my 5 iron (couldn't hit it to save my life) and replaced it with a Nickent 5h, which I hit very well.
I still carry a 6 iron but rarely use it, so I am somewhat in the same boat as you are Rhino.
I also carry the 3h and 4h that came with my iron set and I do actually use the both of them fairly often.
My gap is between my driver and my 17* fairway wood. I'd like to get a Mashie for that gap too when they come out....

It is all what works for you. I play Driver, 3W(15) hybrid(19) 5-pw and 50,54,58,62 putter. But to each there own if you hit hybrids better go 6-pw

There's no real right answer to this. My feeling is that it is important to feel like you have the right mix.

One thing to consider if you play one course on a regular basis, you should consider par 3s and what clubs you need for those holes.

This year, I set up my bag in part for a couple of 200-210 par 3s.

Back