Pure Shot Forum Testing Review Thread

Ninja I am firmly in your camp on this. I can't see the benefits of practicing with something that is not what you will bring to the course. Plus seeing all of the awful shots that you will hit with this would kill my confidence. I would rather go impact tape. I hope it helps some of you though

I agree and I don't mean to come across as dead set against this but it just makes no sense to me. Maybe someone could enlighten me, it would not be the first time.

Jrod, I've been in agreement with you on this since day one, if this included a DVD or some sort of instruction with some drills to help you correct your misses then I could see some benefit, but without that, I just don't get it.

Date: September 24th, 2011
Product: ExcitoGolf PureShot Driver
Weather: 67 degrees, drizzly, turning to sunny as the session went on

Initial photos:
IMG_0421.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0422.jpg

OK, so this is my first full write-up, but it is my second day using the PureShot Driver. Yesterday was a quick lunchtime range session, so today I wanted to get out and take my time with it to fully decide what I really think of it, and if it is a product I would normally purchase. The first thing I wanted to do was hit 10 shots with my R11 and see where I made contact. That is one thing I love about my R11...if I clean the face off I can tell where I made contact after taking some swings because you can see the marks on my face...unfortunately because of the rain the face of the driver just kept getting wet and it made it hard to tell where it was making contact by looking at it. Here is the face after 10 shots:
IMG_0449.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

Hard to tell but out of my ten shots I hit 8 of them very well. Very straight and very close to dead center of the face. One went high near the toe, and the other I just pushed but made decent contact.

After starting with my own driver I moved to the PureShot and hit about 25 balls. The very first swing only got about 5 feet off the ground and went to the left about 30 yards left of my target line. After looking at the face the driver I could see the wet spot and it was clear I hit it low and near the heel. From then on I started hitting it pretty well. Based on where the ball mark was on the club face I could tell I was hitting the silver circle every time, although it was on the bottom half of it, so the ball flight was a mid-penetrating flight. I could a few dead center and they got up higher, but I would say that at least 20 of my 25 shots hit the silver circle. Now, while that sounds great, here is one thing I want to point out...the claim of ExcitoGolf is that the driver will make me hit longer, straighter golf shots by hitting the center of the face. This is my conclusion after hitting 25 balls: Hitting the center of the clubface does not cure a push, pull, or fade. I have been fighting a fade lately with my driver, and before that I was pushing the ball a lot. As I was hitting numerous shots with this driver I was hitting it in the silver sweet spot, but I still pushed a couple, and faded a few. At first I had to look at the face to make sure I didn't hit it closer to the toe, but my thoughts were correct, the mark from the ball was dead center, but I still faded it quite a bit. So this club is not helping me hit straighter shots, it just tells me if I am hitting it near the center. As I stated earlier, out of 10 shots I hit 8 of them very well with my R11, pretty much dead center. For the most part I am pretty consistent at hitting the sweet spot on the course, but this club can't fix a push, pull, or slice.

Now, one of the biggest questions I had before receiving the driver, and one brought up by pretty much everyone here now, is if using this club and getting consistent with it can translate into doing the same with your own personal driver. All I can say is this...it all depends on your driver. For me, this club weight seems very similar to my stock R11. If I had a custom shaft or had messed with the weights in the head much I can see how it would change the way the club feels throughout the swing. But what is obvious without testing the product is that there are just too many driver lenghts, flexes, and shaft combinations out there for me to say that this club could work for just about anyone. Honestly after spending more time with it today, I would rather throw some impact tape on my own driver in order to see where I am hitting the ball. Maybe for a brand new golfer who needs a lot of help learning how to swing a club and make good contact this club could assist them a little bit, but once you start shopping for drivers, it would be best to hit your own driver with some impact tape because there are just too many variables in play here that will chance the way the PureShot feels compared to your own driver. Yesterday I only hit a couple of balls with my R11 driver before spending most of the rest of my lunchbreak session with the PureShot. Because they feel similar to me I think I was able to hit the PureShot well. Someone who uses a different combination than me would probably notice a bigger difference between the two drivers and may have a hard time adjusting between the two.

So in summary, if I had to choose between spending $150 on a training aid that MIGHT work depending on my personal driver, or spending a few bucks on some impact tape that can do the same thing and I can use my own driver...I would go with the impact tape any day. When it comes to golf, consistency is everything. Developing habits with a club that create bad habits with another driver can cost someone some dear strokes, so the best way to get consistent with your own driver is to use your own driver. I will continue to take the PureShot out a little bit and work with it and maybe even get some feedback from some other people at the range. I was hoping to record some other people's thoughts of the club at the range today, but because of the rain it was pretty much dead so that didn't work out. Hopefully within the next couple of days I can get a few golfers at the range to use it, and even the pro that works there, and see if it is something he would suggest to his students to use. My video is about 50% upleaded, so I will edit and attach it to my post once it is complete.

Great initial review INgolfer - look forward to seeing the video. I can definitely see what you are saying about just using the impact tape to see where you are hitting it. Seems like a much cheaper training aid and you are training with what you actually use on the course.

Tappin' from my iPad!

OK here is the video:

SO excited I know how to post videos now...like I said...this might end up getting a little video crazy...

First time watching this back...boy I need to shave! lol, I don't think I can rock the beard to well

OK here is the video:

SO excited I know how to post videos now...like I said...this might end up getting a little video crazy...

First time watching this back...boy I need to shave! lol, I don't think I can rock the beard to well

Great job on the video! Really liked being able to see the ball flight with this.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Just read a lot of this thread and this tool is certainly interesting. As for J-Rod's question... I'm not exactly sure either. My guess would be that the premise is to make you think that all misses are bad because of these exadurated misses. Trying to scare you into hitting it well? Otherwise I'm not sure.

Great job on the video! Really liked being able to see the ball flight with this.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Yes, seeing the ball flight shows you where you mis-hit the ball before you even look at the face. You can clearly see on my first shot it went very low and left. I could tell it I hit it low and toward the heel. I had a miss that went high and right, and looking at the face afterward I could see I hit it high and toward the toe. Is it worth $150 to SEE the flight and know the mis-hit or to spend just few dollars and all you have to do is look at the impact tape to see where you missed. Another thing is with my driver I don't even need impact tape to know where I missed, I can just feel it. So it really comes down to what type of feedback you want. Do you want to see it through flight, see it through a sticker, or feel it?

OK here is the video:

Nah, the 5'oclock shadow worked great for George Michaels for years ... hmm ... alright bad reference.

As for the club, I love the concept but after reading the forum, it doesn't seem the PureShot quite works out. How subtle is the ... table top? ... on the driver face? Would the club benefit from a less severe transition?

Its not so much the tabletop, it is the fact that there are so many different drivers with different headweights, shafts, and lengths that it may just be better to put some impact tape on the face of your own driver to see where your misses are. As some may have seen earlier before my afternoon session today, I was trying to be positive about this and keep an open mind even though there were some other negative thoughts about it, that way I didn't go in with any preconceived notions about how it woould work. My short range session yesterday seemed to go well, I hit the PureShot well first, then I hit my driver well. Today I started the other way around, and I was hitting my driver well before I even started swinging the PureShot. Between my driver at the PureShot they seem very when I swing them (obviously the R11 performs MUCH better) but I agree that it can save SO much money to just use impact tape on your own driver rather than throwing down $150 for this aid that may be completely different than the driver you own.

That was a really good video, INgolfer! I loved being able to see the ball flight so clearly.

Great post INgolfer, I really like the video and seeing the balls coming off the face. You have a very nice looking swing. Interested in your thoughts as you go on with this training aid, and whether or not you think you become a better ball striker with your driver.

Went out again today with this thing for another bucket of 30 balls.

I'm trying my best to understand this "aid" but I just don't understand. I warmed up with my sand wedge as I always do before hitting a few with a 7i before moving on to the Pureshot. I hit the first 3 dead center and then had my famous high miss and the ball went sailing a mile into the air. I then went to my RAZR Hawk and proceeded to hit 5 balls pretty well. I then sat there and tried to figure out what exactly this thing is for and I honestly still don't have an answer.

What does this thing provide that my own driver with some impact tape can't?

I leave this question out to everyone, testers and non alike because I just don't get it. I don't want to start an argument here but i am geniunely curious. Personally I would rather learn to groove a swing with the driver I take to the course, but perhaps I am in the minority. I just can't see the benefit of spending this kind of money for something that really does nothing to improve my game.

I really appreciate ExcitoGolf for giving me the opportunity to test this thing, and it seems very well made, but I just don't see the advantage of it. So I ask you as forum members, and it may be difficult without having actually seen or hit the club, what is the advantage. I would like to have an honest and intelligent discussion about this so please feel free to speak up!

Sincerely,

The Ninja.

Hi.

Well I can see a couple benefits... One is even though I'm guessing its a lot more expensive than impact tape, you basically never have to buy it again. Also I think the instant feedback without having to look at the face would be good. For me, I can miss the sweetspot and still think I've hit a good drive.

But, man I dont know. Swinging a driver with a shaft that doesnt fit could lead to all sorts of over compensations I'm guessing. Can you reshaft it>?

I finally got out on the range with the yellow beast today. Before I talk about the club, a little background on me. I'm a 15ish handicap. I played growing up and stopped in middle school Just got back into it in April. My game has steadily improved, but I have struggled mightily with the driver. I have fought a huge slice, which I have really started to do away with lately. I also really struggled to make solid contact with the ball. I recently took an inch off my driver and went to a stiffer shaft, this has made all the difference in the world. Since switching, I think I am hitting over 50% of my drives on the sweet spot. This really showed as I hit 10 fairways yesterday, my most ever.

I had my girlfriend take pictures on her Iphone of the driver in action and some face tape shots. Unfortunately she went to the Apple store and had it replaced right afterwards (it was over heating and wasn't holding a charge) and didn't upload the pictures first, so no pics this time. I will have at it again monday and might try my hand at video as well.

Alright, enough dribble, time to talk about the Pure Shot driver. I started off hitting my current driver with tape on it (like I said the pictures got lost). I hit 5/10 in or very close to the Sweet spot. I hit one right at the edge of the crown near the tow, one high and inside, and the rest were low. I think I may have been teeing it up too low early on.

I then moved it on to the Pure Shot. It is certainly odd feeling at first. I am playing a fairly stout shaft, and this thing is certainly not near as stiff. I took quite a few practice swings at first. It started off ROUGH. Luckily I was all alone when I started off, because the ball was going everywhere but straight. I got better as I went along, After about 25 balls I got to the point where I was hitting about 50% on or right off the sweet spot (which are the worst looking shots). It was nice getting instant feedback on where you hit the ball. I was feeling pretty confident when it was time to switch back to my normal driver.

I threw another piece of tape on there, and got up to hit my normal driver. My first one was near the middle but a HUGE BLOCK. I shook it off, and went to swing again, and once again did it again. Thats when I realized that I had slowed my tempo and swing speed way down to try to make contact with the Pure Shot. When I went to speed it back up, I missed badly for my first two. I then regrouped. Ended up hitting 4 of 10 in the middle, slightly down from my results prior to hitting the Pure Shot.

I like the idea of this training aid, like Ghsace, I think it could really give me a mental edge when standing over my normal driver. I'm just worried how much effective this can be when the shaft is so whippy. Even if it isn't the same shaft or same weight, I think it could work really well if it was close. If I could just get it in a stiff flex I think it could be effective. I am going to try to just keep swinging away at it next time, but it will be tough when it is SOOO different from my normal shaft.

I am extremely impressed with the club, I expected a very cheaply built driver, but it really is well built and gives a solid feel when hit on the platform.

Random question, what kind of distance are you guys getting out of this. I was struggling to follow the ball today, but it didn't seem like it was far off from my normal driver when struck on the platform, but it was slicing more.

I do want to apologize to Excitogolf, THP, and everyone following the thread for taking so long to get a review up. I was just really concerned about hitting it at a range that wasn't empty, didn't end up being too much of a problem however. I did have one guy move all the way across the range from me, looked more than a little concerned.

Good review wakerider. Look forward to some pictures and videos

Went out again today with this thing for another bucket of 30 balls.

I'm trying my best to understand this "aid" but I just don't understand. I warmed up with my sand wedge as I always do before hitting a few with a 7i before moving on to the Pureshot. I hit the first 3 dead center and then had my famous high miss and the ball went sailing a mile into the air. I then went to my RAZR Hawk and proceeded to hit 5 balls pretty well. I then sat there and tried to figure out what exactly this thing is for and I honestly still don't have an answer.

What does this thing provide that my own driver with some impact tape can't?

I leave this question out to everyone, testers and non alike because I just don't get it. I don't want to start an argument here but i am geniunely curious. Personally I would rather learn to groove a swing with the driver I take to the course, but perhaps I am in the minority. I just can't see the benefit of spending this kind of money for something that really does nothing to improve my game.

I really appreciate ExcitoGolf for giving me the opportunity to test this thing, and it seems very well made, but I just don't see the advantage of it. So I ask you as forum members, and it may be difficult without having actually seen or hit the club, what is the advantage. I would like to have an honest and intelligent discussion about this so please feel free to speak up!

Sincerely,

The Ninja.

Jrod,

The only advantage that I can think of is seeing the results. I know you can see where the ball hits on the face of the impact tape or on some drivers. The Pure Shot gives you the wild ball flights when you don't hit it on the sweet spot. Do I think this is worth the price of the training aid? No not at this time. I might changed that thought process later in the testing, but for now I would not pay $150 for this training aid. The problem the company has with the price, is that it is a quality driver and it most likely cost a fair amount to make it. I think it is solidly constructed and looks really nice. This could be a problem down the road if people are not willing to pay for it when they can achieve similar results with $15 impact tape.

Jrod,

The only advantage that I can think of is seeing the results. I know you can see where the ball hits on the face of the impact tape or on some drivers. The Pure Shot gives you the wild ball flights when you don't hit it on the sweet spot. Do I think this is worth the price of the training aid? No not at this time. I might changed that thought process later in the testing, but for now I would not pay $150 for this training aid. The problem the company has with the price, is that it is a quality driver and it most likely cost a fair amount to make it. I think it is solidly constructed and looks really nice. This could be a problem down the road if people are not willing to pay for it when they can achieve similar results with $15 impact tape.

I agree the instant feedback is nice, but not worth the price to me. Also having to adapt to a different driver is such a drawback.

Hi.

Well I can see a couple benefits... One is even though I'm guessing its a lot more expensive than impact tape, you basically never have to buy it again. Also I think the instant feedback without having to look at the face would be good. For me, I can miss the sweetspot and still think I've hit a good drive.

But, man I dont know. Swinging a driver with a shaft that doesnt fit could lead to all sorts of over compensations I'm guessing. Can you reshaft it>?

I suppose you could, but I have a hard enough time buying 300$ shafts for my driver, nevermind some training club.

Testers that are having problems with the shaft not matching up to you shafts. This will actually help you with your swing. Think about it, if you starting hitting this club pure with a whippy shaft...you have now grooved your swing plane, tempo, lag, your grip will have to be correct, stance/posture. The whipiness of the shaft should help you. I say this because I used to work with a very whippy 5 iron and it really helped by out. Just some food for thought

Testers that are having problems with the shaft not matching up to you shafts. This will actually help you with your swing. Think about it, if you starting hitting this club pure with a whippy shaft...you have now grooved your swing plane, tempo, lag, your grip will have to be correct, stance/posture. The whipiness of the shaft should help you. I say this because I used to work with a very whippy 5 iron and it really helped by out. Just some food for thought

That is interesting Tadashi. I would think it wouldn't help but real world examples are better than what I think.

I would tend to disagree with this bro. I don't think mixing and matching set ups would be beneficial at all. I believe I have great tempo, and I actually hit this thing just fine 80% to 90% of the time. I was actually worried I would be all over the place but its actually the opposite. Even with great tempo a regular shaft is not going to keep up or feel good with a high SS. Plus it reacts completely different.

ok, I see your point.

I would tend to disagree with this bro. I don't think mixing and matching set ups would be beneficial at all. I believe I have great tempo, and I actually hit this thing just fine 80% to 90% of the time. I was actually worried I would be all over the place but its actually the opposite. Even with great tempo a regular shaft is not going to keep up or feel good with a high SS. Plus it reacts completely different.

ok, I see your point.

I guess I should rephrase, I would agree with you to a certain extent, however reaching higher swing speeds there is only so much a shaft can hold up. Once again perhaps this would be more beneficial to someone with a slower swing speed.

I guess I should rephrase, I would agree with you to a certain extent, however reaching higher swing speeds there is only so much a shaft can hold up. Once again perhaps this would be more beneficial to someone with a slower swing speed.

I got you the first time, I replied quick cuz my daughter was demanding breakfast.
I can see your concern with really getting after it. Since you really seem to be hitting this consistently, would you say it for a higher hdcp golfer? Or would this aided any golfer?

Kongfrontation

I got you the first time, I replied quick cuz my daughter was demanding breakfast.
I can see your concern with really getting after it. Since you really seem to be hitting this consistently, would you say it for a higher hdcp golfer? Or would this aided any golfer?

Kongfrontation

Honestly bro I really don't know. Like I said I am really struggling to know what this is really for. Heh.

Back