gbigoose1

Reaction score
Handicap
Ok, so Aggros thread has inspired me to try to get help with something that I have to get rid of. I am addicted to pop. I can drink up to three a day, normally at least two. It's almost a habit now to just randomly grab one. My favorite is coke lol.. I'm 15 and weigh only 140 pounds, but to much pop can be bad for your blood, stomach, skin and your athleticism as it tires you out much faster. I try my hardest to just drink water but can never do it. I often get headaches when I don't drink at least a pop a day. My goal is to get down to one, as I think that would be fine, hopefully one every other day. Any body else ever have a pop addiction that they've broken? Tips?

Dude I feel your pain. Love me some mountain dew. I've cut it out of my weekly diet all together and then go ape sh*t on the weekend. I drink wawa lemonade ice tea and also water. Get those things you add to water to make it less boring and taste better. Soda is terrible for you and your body will thank you for cutting back.

OEM Kevin

Every once in a while I'll have a Dr. Pepper. My drink of choice :good: Luckily its not all the time :D

I used to go through a couple bottles per day as well. The trick for me was to switch to diet soda first. Once I did that, I cut out a quick ~400 caleries per day out of my diet. Next I switched to non cafinated diet beverages (diet sprite or most diet rootbeer). That kept the carbonation I was used to. After that, which I didn't care for too much, I moved onto water with flavor packets added to them - lemonade, kool-aid, etc. Now I'm on water only during the work day.

Dude I feel your pain. Love me some mountain dew. I've cut it out of my weekly diet all together and then go ape sh*t on the weekend. I drink wawa lemonade ice tea and also water. Get those things you add to water to make it less boring and taste better. Soda is terrible for you and your body will thank you for cutting back.

OEM Kevin
That's the exact same with me. Last week I went with only 4 pops the whole week, but then on saturday I had a basketball game and went to pizza after, had like 2 refills there so 2.5, then went to his house for 11 hours with a bunch of kids and had 4. It happens sub consciously. Half the time I'm not even thinking I'm going to get another pop. It doesn't help he has a fridge in his basement that's loaded.

I used to go through a couple bottles per day as well. The trick for me was to switch to diet soda first. Once I did that, I cut out a quick ~400 caleries per day out of my diet. Next I switched to non cafinated diet beverages (diet sprite or most diet rootbeer). That kept the carbonation I was used to. After that, which I didn't care for too much, I moved onto water with flavor packets added to them - lemonade, kool-aid, etc. Now I'm on water only during the work day.

Thanks for the idea. I'm thinking about going to Coke Zero, then slowly lowering the count and then trying to move on to flavored water.

The reason you got a headache when you stopped drinking them alltogether was from caffeine withdrawal. Just like any other drug if you quit caffeine cold turkey there will be symptoms. With caffeine it's headaches, irritability, anxiety. Got to do a gradual withdrawal

drink the zero sodas, you will get used to the taste and I swear they leave you not craving soda

I quit drinking pop over a year ago and drink Vitamin Water .
Was drinking over 2 liters of Dr.Pepper a day , the kidneys were screaming !

I quit drinking pop over a year ago and drink Vitamin Water .
Was drinking over 2 liters of Dr.Pepper a day , the kidneys were screaming !

Yah I'm concerned with my health. Nothing has happened yet or indicated anything happening but rather safe than sorry.. Yes I think I'm going to have my mom buy me some Coke zero at the store. I will just have to control myself in restaurants or at friends houses as it's way to easy to just pile up.

We go through Dr Pepper like its going out of style. I went on the atkins diet for a few weeks at teh end of last year and I cut them out for a while. But I wasn't able to keep them out lol. I've done a lot better than I use to though, esp with the carbonated cherry limeade flavored water from Target that I found, and diet Mr Pibb/diet cherry dr pepper. The bubbly helps for sure, I'm down to 1 or 2 DP's a day usually. The key is finding a substitute that you will actually drink, and the will to just order water or tea at resturants.

Yes, and another thing is I realized I rarely find myself drinking pop because I'm thirsty. If I'm at a restaurant and get water, I might only finish half of it but if I get pop I'll drink 2 or 3.

Alcohol here, that pop is just bad for you, lol.

I had no idea you were only 15. I had you pegged for 35. Wow.

I last drank a pop on April 2nd 2010. We were playing in a golf tournament that day and I drank 4 Dews before the end of the round, I decided right then I had to cut that out. I was tired of all the extra weight I was carrying and I knew how bad all that pop was. I drank that last one and haven't touched pop since then. It was hard at first but I don't think I could even drink one now. Once you get past the first 3 weeks its a breeze. I also cut out Sweetened Ice Tea as well, that was harder than the pop.

Thanks for the idea. I'm thinking about going to Coke Zero, then slowly lowering the count and then trying to move on to flavored water.

Try carbonated water as a substitute too. I found when I cut soda out of my diet a few years ago that helped me make the change too as I missed the carbonation. Good luck and congrats on making a decision to change your diet.

With soda you have to go with diet soda. Way too many calories in regular.

I like the coke zero and drink about 6 a day. I also make my own seltzer water to add carbonation to juices and this also reduces calories in my drinks. I also like Dr. Enuf.

I have a coke about every 3-4 days. I used to drink at least 1 a day but just cut back for some reason. Its usually just water with every meal and during the day then I just have a coke every once in a while mixed in. Try finding a different drink that you like a lot. I got addicted to those apple juices in the small bottles and I dont even have the urge to get a coke.

I love a can of pepsi with a meal but am slowly trying to switch to water. You're doing the right thing by gradually decreasing your intake a day. I think completely stopping would drive you insane.

My favourites are Dr.Pepper, Pepsi, Mountain Dew, and Grape Crush

I have a coke about every 3-4 days. I used to drink at least 1 a day but just cut back for some reason. Its usually just water with every meal and during the day then I just have a coke every once in a while mixed in. Try finding a different drink that you like a lot. I got addicted to those apple juices in the small bottles and I dont even have the urge to get a coke.

Sadly those almost have the same amount of sugar in them than a coke.

Only 35g of sugar in the ones I drink (10 FL oz.) Idk if thats bad or not though? At least its healthy sugar lol

A 12 FL. oz. can of coke has 39g of sugar, so I don't know the math but perhaps more sugar in your apple juice? :D

A 12 FL. oz. can of coke has 39g of sugar, so I don't know the math but perhaps more sugar in your apple juice? :D

Yes it is, lol. I dont drink cokes out of the can, we have the big bottles that I just pour into a cup.

But coke is just bad for you, apple Juice is healthy.

That equates to 3 more grams per 12 OZ for juice. ouch.

Back