TaylorMade M1 Driver Review Thread

Probably 97%. I know options are great and I am all for them. But damn sometimes less is more, I think we've all seen that in past events on here. 3 good options they feel pair well with this head. Also means you won't get stuck behind the guy who needs to try all 20 shafts at PGA superstore.

I would have liked to see them hit 6 as many golfers are becoming just as brand loyal to shafts as heads at times and it helps.

But that comes with a fitting emphasis and I hope we see it here.

Meh, f t beats the current gamer, it could get a spot. But it has work to do to prove it.

While I agree with that, when you're already leaking oil in the eyes of many and then don't step to the plate with options and EVERYONE else is, it's not helping your cause.

Just my take on it.

It's not helping to us. How many people do you think actually take advantage of those shaft offerings? It's a big deal to us gear heads. Ping doesn't offer a ton of no charge shafts and their sales have been more than fine with the G30 lineup. I sincerely doubt that the avg consumer notices or cares.

I would have liked to see them hit 6 as many golfers are becoming just as brand loyal to shafts as heads at times and it helps.

But that comes with a fitting emphasis and I hope we see it here.
The shaft loyalist is the next wave. You can see it already happening. 6 would have been a good number. I'm surprised they are at 3, but to me its not a big deal.

There are still going to be close to 20 no charge shaft upgrades beyond the three stock shafts.

It's not helping to us. How many people do you think actually take advantage of those shaft offerings? It's a big deal to us gear heads. Ping doesn't offer a ton of no charge shafts and their sales have been more than fine with the G30 lineup. I sincerely doubt that the avg consumer notices or cares.

PING also has three heads that cover all gamuts of golfers, and we are talking about the brand that started the shaft option craze and is now behind on it. My point isn't what's good for golfers (though I refuse to consider more options bad) its that when you are trying to regain your mojo and others are offering things you aren't, then it does matter.

Love the look of the crown. Will certainly give this a few swings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would love to see Taylormade do live fittings with this driver. Just to validate their design and concept

The shaft loyalist is the next wave. You can see it already happening. 6 would have been a good number. I'm surprised they are at 3, but to me its not a big deal.

And they will have more at no cost upgrades. The shaft thing is a non issue to me as well.

All my negative thoughts have pretty much been covered by others in here, so I'll dwell on the positive for now:

1) I love the look of the crown - never thought I'd say that
2) Sounds great at impact in the clips I've heard
3) 3 shaft options (high/mid/low) is enough for me. It's not impressive but it's enough and still ahead of many OEMs who stick to 1 offering.
4) I LOVE the face being quite 'open' at address. A huge plus for me.

If this head is offered in 14 and 16 degree lofts I can really see myself giving it a fair shot in my yearly winter shootout. If it turns out to be another punishing, low spin toilet plunger than I'll be sorely disappointed.

Reading through most of the posts here. Honest question.... What does TaylorMade need to do to win back the "gear head" population? They've been on the ropes for a few years now it seems.

Having been a cyclist for years (jeeze I have expensive hobbies) I love carbon fiber - especially exposed CF. But I just can't get into this based on the photos. I have never been a fan of white drivers/woods. I've tried them multiple times on range and in store and just don't adjust to the look. I'm sure I'll swing this thing at GG, but looks are a big part of a club for me. I have to feel comfortable with it when I stand over the ball. So far this is ticking a big negative box in my mind.

Reading through most of the posts here. Honest question.... What does TaylorMade need to do to win back the "gear head" population? They've been on the ropes for a few years now it seems.
Honestly I don't know. Callaway was in that position not too long ago. They pumped out some good products and great marketing and things started to turn. They also started using better materials and got more money involved.

Any pricing info yet?

As I said at the beginning of this thread, I was hoping for a forgiving model from TM and I will wait to see how this one works out. So far, I have not heard a lot about forgiveness from TM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From their fb, looks good imo
f78b2a1c7767189172dbd49e91112c9a.jpg

Honestly I think this is kind of what everyone expected. Maybe it will prove me wrong but I don't like the crown(Ill admit I also stated the same about my beloved Bridgestone J815) and it simply looks like all they did was add a sliding weight. I know more tech is involved but if Im a normal consumer and see this next to the R15 I'm saving the $200 or whatever the difference is and grabbing the R15. Not enough to differentiate it IMO.

I read not too long ago that it's not really possible to get adjustments in ball flight from adjustable weight configurations close to the face. It's physics... So, I understand the ability to move weight forward toward to face, or back to the rear to affect spin/CG etc, but to continue to have the sliding weight up near the face still doesn't make sense to me, scientifically.
I don't care about release cycles. They can launch stuff every week for all I care. I just hate to see a company continue to reach! To put stuff out that ISN'T new or innovative. What's new here? Non-metal crown? Done before. Sliding weights? Done before. It's uninspired and the marketing is AWFUL. Don't tell me this is game changing when nothing about it is new.
I understand the brains behind their club design left and went to Cobra. I understand that Harry left and went to Callaway. But are they the only two people in the TM company that could design and market???? Lord, it sure seems that way EVERY time TM launches stuff now!

I really do dig the crown.
Definitely, the gloss looks good I think. Please please knock it out of the park with performance and have a winner for us!

Honestly I don't know. Callaway was in that position not too long ago. They pumped out some good products and great marketing and things started to turn. They also started using better materials and got more money involved.
Outside of those that are "prosumer" group, do you think it matters to TM? Granted they've taken a series of blows to their market share, but has it really been enough for them to take that hard look. It just seems their strategy is to attempt to power through it till the next white head craze hits for them.

The Carbon Fiber look has been done before, not sure how great that did for those OEM's that tried it back then.
Marketing is huge, we've seen it with Callaway. But they've done in a way that allows the consumer to feel like they're truly special and part of the "family". Anyone other of the big OEM's try to duplicate that now and they will be chastised on high for mimicking Callaway.

Oh oh well I was just curious I guess.

Back