TaylorMade Project 5 Golf Ball Review Thread

Oh the packaging is pretty. Reminds me of the slick penta black dozen box. Just the opposite. Looks excellent as a corporate gift

I should clarify, that odds are the retail packaging will look totally different. When THP receives items prior to release, they are rarely in retail packaging and many times in all white boxes.

Wanted to make a quick post about me, how I will be testing, and what I look for in a ball.

I am the kind of guy who in the past just grabbed whatever ball was manufactured by a brand I liked and had a decent price tag. It wasnt until after I started playing a bit more regularly than I was, and really started working on my game did I realize that the ball was far more important to my game than I realized. Looking for the right ball was quite an experience, especially with the options available to us and all the marketing that we see on a daily basis surrounding properties of the balls. We see longer, straighter, more spin, less spin, durable, etc etc, how are we to decide? Easy enough, put them in play and see what the results tell you.

Enter ball testing, specifically ball testing that we go in to without a preconceived idea of what we are to be expecting. Just gaming the ball on the course and watching and feeling the results that you get.

For this testing my plan to start is simple, put the Project 5 in to play on the course. See how it works for me and get some general ideas. From there, my plan will be to break the different areas of my game down and really focus in on what I am seeing from each aspect of my game; From the tee, full iron shots, wedge shots, short game (pitch and chips) and on the green.

Really looking forward to getting these out on the course, seeing the results, and following along with the rest of the testers over the coming weeks!

Gamed the Penta TP5 the biggest chunk of this past summer and I was pretty dang impressed with the ball (my first time playing a TaylorMade ball). At first glance, these certainly look a lot different than the Penta TP5.

Good start so far dudes. I never got the chance to try the TP5, but I did like the original Pentas a good bit. I look forward to seeing how you guys like these.

I'm playing the Penta TP5 now and I'm interested to read about the new ball. It looks like no other Taylormade ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is my initial post with my background and plan for the testing.

I'm listed as a 7 handicap (although I've been playing closer to a 9 or 10 for the last couple months). I think I am a longer hitter (driver plays about 280-290, 5i plays about 190-195, PW plays about 135). I try to use that to my advantage on the course. With that said, I do not look for a ball that will add distance to my game. Instead, I focus on how the ball feels on all of the clubs in the bag and how well I can control the ball around the green.

I will usually try out new golf balls, but I have pretty consistently played a Bridgestone B330 or B330s this season. I will also play a ProV1x, and I have played the TM TP5 and the Callaway Hex Black. I have had some success with a lot of these balls, but I have found that the B330 and B330s have been the most consistent for me, so far. Of the remaining balls, I really enjoyed the TP5, which intrigues me for this testing.

My primary concern is to make sure I complete the testing before losing all of the balls. (One bad driving day on the wrong course and I will likely be done.) So, for the first week or two I am going to focus on the short game. Pitches (60 yards and in), chips, flops, sand, putting. I will see how the Project 5 reacts to the various shots and how it feels on the club face. I will also use a Bridgestone B330s as a "control" for the testing and compare the results of the two balls during the testing.

I will then take the Project 5 onto the course for some long game work. While I will consider distance, it will not be an important factor for me unless the difference is substantial. I am more concerned with feel, trajectory and spin. I will also follow the durability of the Project 5, as I think it is an important factor when choosing a golf ball.

I'm looking forward to the testing, and I'm also interested to see if it will change my focus on the factors that I consider important for selecting a golf ball.

Looks like a good diverse group. I'm excited to see your findings.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts guys. Over the winter I switched from the Pro V to the Penta, so i'd love to hear about the replacement!

Im interested to see how these balls fare compared to the others you guys are used to gaming. We have quite the diverse group and plans for testing, so this will be fun to follow. I havent gamed a TM ball in quite some time, since the TP Black to be exact.

Do they have a urethane cover or something similar?

There is print on my packaging that states that "Urethane cover made in California". It also says "Core and 2nd to 4th layers made in Korea". Now that assumes that this specific packaging sleeve was made for these balls. The sleeves could have been left over from a previous model.

Im interested to see how these balls fare compared to the others you guys are used to gaming. We have quite the diverse group and plans for testing, so this will be fun to follow. I havent gamed a TM ball in quite some time, since the TP Black to be exact.
I was a huge fan of the original Penta, but got away from them this year after going through a ball fitting. Will be interesting to see if it can live up to my memory of how much I enjoyed playing the Penta a year ago.

Great initial thoughts guys. Can't wait to see what you think when you take them to the course.

I am quite excited to see what you guys think! Thanks to Taylormade for giving us a preview. I have been between a lot of balls this year (Nike 20xi, E6, B330, and a few others) and I still am not settled on one. I enjoyed the Orlimars that were given away (until I lost them...) and may game them next year but these intrigue me. They look awesome. Can't wait to see what you guys think.

I have been playing with TM balls quite a bit the last 2 years, but I have gamed Bridgestone Tour B330-S and the Callaway Hex Black some this past year too. I have found TP5 to be my favorite for my game. I am quite interested to see what you all think of this new version.

Looking forward on reading the reviews on these balls.

Hex pattern design both surprised and intrigued me right out of the gate.

With thoughts of the deeper dimples, I wonder how much that will be impacted by sidespin considering one of bridge stones new tech suggests shallower double dimples reduce the impact of wind

With thoughts of the deeper dimples, I wonder how much that will be impacted by sidespin considering one of bridge stones new tech suggests shallower double dimples reduce the impact of wind

I am very curious about this ball in the wind. One would think that shallow dimples could lead to lower ball flight.

Is project 5 part of a larger group designed for varying skill levels? It seems like TaylorMade has effectively focused on getting the ball airborne in their recent releases..

Is project 5 part of a larger group designed for varying skill levels? It seems like TaylorMade has effectively focused on getting the ball airborne in their recent releases..

Time will tell I guess.

Good first thoughts guys....nice photos too....I would be interested to see a pic of one of these next to a Hex Black to compare the dimple pattern. Can't wait to start hearing some results!

Jank, glad you are getting simulator numbers buddy...always good to have hard data to go with feel when it comes to comparing golf balls.

Good first thoughts guys....nice photos too....I would be interested to see a pic of one of these next to a Hex Black to compare the dimple pattern. Can't wait to start hearing some results!

Jank, glad you are getting simulator numbers buddy...always good to have hard data to go with feel when it comes to comparing golf balls.

I will try and grab some pics next to a hex black for you TBT.

This is one thing that I will be watching. The dimples really do look deep, and I would think they would promote more spin and a higher ball flight. I already hit a high ball, and it will be interesting to see of these balls fly even higher. Will also be interesting to compare with the B330 offerings for that reason as well.

Looks like a good diverse group. I'm excited to see your findings.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Always nice to see a good mix of skill/distance for a testing like this.

Back