TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Review Thread

Im finally done, started yesterday at page 1, just finished up all 1700+ posts

First off, it was a great read, good insight not only by the testers, but those people that purchased them along the way in the 5+ months the thread has been out there.

Went to golf galaxy this past week after hitting the Cleveland CG16 7I and falling in love with it. Went there to try out the KBS Tour shafts, as that was the shaft that was in the CG16's that were for sale in the marketplace. Well when I got there, they had the shaft available, and put a TM CB iron head on it. Having been playing these Burner XD's for the past few years, I thought there was no way I could hit a "players" iron, but gave it a whirl anyhow.

All I could say was "wow", I was hitting them flush, not sure on distance as I was hitting into the nets, but each shot just felt like a winner. Canadan could tell that I was excited to be able to "feel" when I hit a good shot, which does not happen with the current shovels I play.

Well things didnt work out with the CG16 purchase, so now Im pondering between those, and the CB's. 2 different types of clubs obviously, but I figure I need to at least pit them up side by side, with as many shaft options that are available and see what happens.

Wont be able to do it this weekend, but will definitely try early next week. Thanks again to everyone that provided the quality thoughts and discussions in this thread!

Good luck with your future purchase Mike. After a few months of trying clubs I took my top two favorite irons from the lot and pitted them against each other during a fitting. The CB's obv won out and have been treating me right ever since.

Good stuff Mike...Thanks for taking the time to read the thread. THe CB's are some great clubs!

Congrats Ross. Let us know how your first round goes with them. It took me about 2 rounds to get into the "swing" of things with the CB's, but now they are helping me to slowly lower my scores.

Will do Mardin. I ended up going to the Range again last night and found myself elated. I'm not exaggerating when I say I had butterflies in my stomach and felt like I was in love with the clubs at one point. hah.

I am so friggin' confident behind the ball now that I can increase my club head speed a bit. I usually try to be accurate and am willing to choose a club down and keep the temp nice and easy at 75mph - but with these I'm probably able to get to 80+mph with similar tempo and the ball just launches for me. The shots are so pure it makes me feel like a pro or at least a decent amateur ;) I was hitting right next to a guy that was more than likely a Club pro with his wife watching him hit them long and straight, and I just kept matching shot for shot and found myself 'giggity giggity.

Before I got these I really didn't know the difference between many clubs. I'm not sure if the positive results are because it's forged, or if it's because it's a cavity back or both, but these things just feel so good at follow through.

I will continue to post and let you know if this translates to the course. I'm still waiting on a newly ordered 3 rescue, 3 wood, driver and putter before I can hit the course. Ahh, can't wait. Wondering if any guys on this thread are from Dallas and if there's a recommended league to join. I'll start wandering the boards as to not change this thread.

It's Christmas in July! The shiny objects in my golf bag are keeping me from getting work done..

Ross

Will do Mardin. I ended up going to the Range again last night and found myself elated. I'm not exaggerating when I say I had butterflies in my stomach and felt like I was in love with the clubs at one point. hah.

I am so friggin' confident behind the ball now that I can increase my club head speed a bit. I usually try to be accurate and am willing to choose a club down and keep the temp nice and easy at 75mph - but with these I'm probably able to get to 80+mph with similar tempo and the ball just launches for me. The shots are so pure it makes me feel like a pro or at least a decent amateur ;) I was hitting right next to a guy that was more than likely a Club pro with his wife watching him hit them long and straight, and I just kept matching shot for shot and found myself 'giggity giggity.

Before I got these I really didn't know the difference between many clubs. I'm not sure if the positive results are because it's forged, or if it's because it's a cavity back or both, but these things just feel so good at follow through.

I will continue to post and let you know if this translates to the course. I'm still waiting on a newly ordered 3 rescue, 3 wood, driver and putter before I can hit the course. Ahh, can't wait. Wondering if any guys on this thread are from Dallas and if there's a recommended league to join. I'll start wandering the boards as to not change this thread.

It's Christmas in July! The shiny objects in my golf bag are keeping me from getting work done..

Ross

good stuff Ross, nothing beats Christmas in July!!

Im finally done, started yesterday at page 1, just finished up all 1700+ posts

First off, it was a great read, good insight not only by the testers, but those people that purchased them along the way in the 5+ months the thread has been out there.

Went to golf galaxy this past week after hitting the Cleveland CG16 7I and falling in love with it. Went there to try out the KBS Tour shafts, as that was the shaft that was in the CG16's that were for sale in the marketplace. Well when I got there, they had the shaft available, and put a TM CB iron head on it. Having been playing these Burner XD's for the past few years, I thought there was no way I could hit a "players" iron, but gave it a whirl anyhow.

All I could say was "wow", I was hitting them flush, not sure on distance as I was hitting into the nets, but each shot just felt like a winner. Canadan could tell that I was excited to be able to "feel" when I hit a good shot, which does not happen with the current shovels I play.

Well things didnt work out with the CG16 purchase, so now Im pondering between those, and the CB's. 2 different types of clubs obviously, but I figure I need to at least pit them up side by side, with as many shaft options that are available and see what happens.

Wont be able to do it this weekend, but will definitely try early next week. Thanks again to everyone that provided the quality thoughts and discussions in this thread!

You hit these so much better than the JPX you picked up after them and hosel shanked a few... I think you need to get these on the range and really get an idea of how well you can hit them.

I'm glad you're not set on the CG16s... I think you've got the game to play the CBs dude.

You hit these so much better than the JPX you picked up after them and hosel shanked a few... I think you need to get these on the range and really get an idea of how well you can hit them.

I'm glad you're not set on the CG16s... I think you've got the game to play the CBs dude.

yeah those JPX shots were awful, thank god it wasnt a real range or a course where I would be able to see the actual outcome

curious to see if anyone tried these out with Rifle Project X 5.5 shafts, and if so, any thoughts?

i hit the CB's extensively at demo day; i like em - they feel good - but not the best IMO. they have little forgiveness so unless you hit em perfect every time, you are punished with a few bad shots here.
i prefer something with a stronger loft, and more forgiveness - when i really start puring the ball everytime - i may look at something for geared towards low handicappers.

mike, i would def try and get a few on the course. My club may be doing a taylormade demo day in august - ill check tomorrow - if so you can come up and hit everything.

i hit the CB's extensively at demo day; i like em - they feel good - but not the best IMO. they have little forgiveness so unless you hit em perfect every time, you are punished with a few bad shots here.
i prefer something with a stronger loft, and more forgiveness - when i really start puring the ball everytime - i may look at something for geared towards low handicappers.

mike, i would def try and get a few on the course. My club may be doing a taylormade demo day in august - ill check tomorrow - if so you can come up and hit everything.

my swing is already so pure lol

yeah Let me know on the demo day, Id love to come up and try them out

:banana: .....more on this later...

I got to hit a 7 iron today and absolutely love the feel of these clubs, wish I could afford these right now. These clubs definitely feel better than my burner plus's and look much better at address.

so me and Canadan headed over to Cincinatti Golf Center for an iron fitting.

My intentions were to try a bunch of different irons such as the CG16's, Burner 2.0's, Taylormade CB's etc.

Started out with the Mizuno shaft opptimizer, my 6I swing speed was about 84, through the few balls I hit.

Top 3 shafts were: Dynalite Gold XP S300, Project X 5.5 and KBS Tour , all 3 in stiff.

Started out with the XP S300 in the TM CB's....and that was all she wrote.

I hit a ton of balls, and that was the pureset feeling 6I I have ever hit. Everything (for the most part) was nice and high and dead straight. Average distances on the trackman were right around 180 from what I remember. My only misses were really just too much lower body movement, but the solid hits WAY outweighed those few bad ones.

The other 2 shafts I was told would promote and even higher ball flight (which I could validate form my limited time hitting the KBS Tours already), so we didnt even try those. I even messed around with the TM MC's, but wasnt quite putting the same swing on those.

All in all, that was the best $25 Ive ever spent, James the instructor was totally cool, helped me out with a few things, hit a ton of balls and was in their on teh trackman for over an hour.

Needless to say im on the prowl to find a good price on these bad boys. Thanks again to Canadan for coming along and cheering me on lol

so me and Canadan headed over to Cincinatti Golf Center for an iron fitting.

My intentions were to try a bunch of different irons such as the CG16's, Burner 2.0's, Taylormade CB's etc.

Started out with the Mizuno shaft opptimizer, my 6I swing speed was about 84, through the few balls I hit.

Top 3 shafts were: Dynalite Gold XP S300, Project X 5.5 and KBS Tour , all 3 in stiff.

Started out with the XP S300 in the TM CB's....and that was all she wrote.

I hit a ton of balls, and that was the pureset feeling 6I I have ever hit. Everything (for the most part) was nice and high and dead straight. Average distances on the trackman were right around 180 from what I remember. My only misses were really just too much lower body movement, but the solid hits WAY outweighed those few bad ones.

The other 2 shafts I was told would promote and even higher ball flight (which I could validate form my limited time hitting the KBS Tours already), so we didnt even try those. I even messed around with the TM MC's, but wasnt quite putting the same swing on those.

All in all, that was the best $25 Ive ever spent, James the instructor was totally cool, helped me out with a few things, hit a ton of balls and was in their on teh trackman for over an hour.

Needless to say im on the prowl to find a good price on these bad boys. Thanks again to Canadan for coming along and cheering me on lol

Welcome to the club. I saw some good deals on Ebay from some pretty reputable dealers recently. I love the DGXP's, they give me just perfect ball flight and height.

I am glad you finally gave in and swung them dude. The flight you were getting was plenty ideal and the mishits really didn't punish you. I love that the pro gave you quite a few things to work on to avoid your misses as well.. Limit that lower body!

I tend to think that golf is 80% mental, 10% execution, and 10% bullcrap that other people say. I really enjoyed watching you convince yourself that you are good enough to play these irons.

I am glad you finally gave in and swung them dude. The flight you were getting was plenty ideal and the mishits really didn't punish you. I love that the pro gave you quite a few things to work on to avoid your misses as well.. Limit that lower body!

I tend to think that golf is 80% mental, 10% execution, and 10% bullcrap that other people say. I really enjoyed watching you convince yourself that you are good enough to play these irons.

Good stuff MD and Canadan, sounds like you found some irons to replace the burners!

yeah that lower body seemed to be the main issue I ran into with any mis hits...the iron just felt awesome with a nice high ball flight without jeopardizing

Good stuff MD and Canadan, sounds like you found some irons to replace the burners!

yeah already got a guy lined up to buy the Burners, Ive just been pushing out the transaction more and more while I find a deal

haha yeah man, I'm just glad the 10% bullcrap I've been feeding since I watched him hit them at Golf Galaxy wasn't way off base haha! I hate being wrong!

haha yeah man, I'm just glad the 10% bullcrap I've been feeding since I watched him hit them at Golf Galaxy wasn't way off base haha! I hate being wrong!

everyone is good off of the Game improvement mats LOL

HAHAHA!!! Until you hit a bad driver and blame the mats for that too! hahahaha!

yeah I couldnt come up with anything else, god I was roping that driver too

The CB's will bite through the turf, no need to worry about hitting them off mats. You put a solid swing on a ball with these babies and you will see nice divots. I love the leading edge on the CB's. They are the quintesential borderline of a GI and Players club.

The CB's will bite through the turf, no need to worry about hitting them off mats. You put a solid swing on a ball with these babies and you will see nice divots. I love the leading edge on the CB's. They are the quintesential borderline of a GI and Players club.

That's an interesting way to put it, as far as looks go I can't agree more, but for me at least they seem to perform more like a GI than a players, but give me the look at address I was hoping for!

this is why everyone must hit clubs for themselves....I thought the exact opposite when I was testing the CB's

That's an interesting way to put it, as far as looks go I can't agree more, but for me at least they seem to perform more like a GI than a players, but give me the look at address I was hoping for!

Back