The 2015 Grandaddy Recap Thread - Thanks For The Memories

I feel like people are getting sick of how much i mention the Grandaddy in all the threads around here. But i cant help it. Its not to rub it in, its not to gloat about how lucky i was, its the freaking truth. This event has changed my outlook on golf. I guess you can say my love for the game is sort of revived. I desperately want to get out and play golf just to be able to use my gear and look at that logo.

Still with hopes of more jumping in here as well as making it easier to find all parts of my recap, I'm putting links to previous recap posts of mine below:

Part #1 - #TheGrandaddy as a Whole - http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...The-Memories&p=4171794&viewfull=1#post4171794

Part #2 - Travel Day - http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...The-Memories&p=4176917&viewfull=1#post4176917

Part #3 - The ECPC/Fitting - http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...The-Memories&p=4222847&viewfull=1#post4222847

Part #4 - Callaway HQ/Dinner/Breakfast

So, I left off last time at the conclusion of our mind blowing fittings at the ECPC and watching 11 other guys on my team like kids in a candy store. Incredible.

From there we headed over to Callaway HQ to take the full tour of the office, R&D, and studio areas. Like most, I had seen tons and tons of videos/content about the Callaway offices but it was way cooler to see it all in person. Yes, its an office space, cubicles if you will, but they are effing AWESOME cubicles because of the people who are in them. Was fun to get to see the rest of the #ZooCrew all around the office and see just how excited they were to see us, including JRod's office with mood lighting, music, and a badass belt (which he was naturally wearing).

20151207_114412-L.jpg

20151207_115725-L.jpg
20151207_115713-L.jpg

Coolest to me was getting to go tour the R&D areas, particularly the golf-balls. Ddec and I have been able to do some REALLY cool stuff because of THP, and he had been the Cally HQ before, but we were BOTH truly left saying "wow" about 20 times on our tour through the areas. First, the golf ball cores will mess with your mind, they're heavy, but they bounce/sound like a ping-pong ball....craziness. The winner of the tour though was clearly the golf ball cannon and getting to stand out there in the dark and watch the ball zoom past. We wanted them to crank it all the way up speed wise, but there was something about safety whatnot. Hahahaha

20151207_115134-L.jpg

Another thing to note for me, the Callaway Talks/LIVE! studios are INSANE. True, 100%, fantastic, super quality, TV sets and equipment. I don't know exactly what I pictured in my head, but it wasn't what it is. Crazy the things they can do in there.

20151207_121046-L.jpg

20151207_120837-L.jpg

20151207_121230-L.jpg

Got to have lunch with all of the marketing and R&D guys, also, FREAKING CHIP FREAKING BREWER stopped by and let us ask questions. The guys had some brilliant Q's and I won't like this part made me maybe the most proud of my team, no awkwardness, just right into the questions. Well thought out q's, nothing goofy, and honest answers right back at us. My highlight, naturally was Koske and Austie talking putter styles when Koske looked directly at me and addressed the center-shaft and flow-neck question with a smile on his face (they DO pay attention and read, people, I'm telling you), I got to have a chuckle with him on that later when he and Austie signed my #TheGrandaddy cover (even though I had to convince Koske to do it!).

camera-p-L.jpg

image-20151207_143202-L.jpg

After lunch we headed back to the Callaway Talks studio and there were two men sitting up front, Ddec and I introduced ourselves while the others were finishing up the tour and it turned out it was Victor Afable (President) and Teter Sanchez (SR VP) of Oban Shafts......WHAT WAS ABOUT TO HAPPEN? Sure enough, they were debuting and new shaft they had designed with Callaway and we were going to be the first ones to have one of them, right then and there. Incredible. Add to that, Finley came through and handed out the insane leather Patrick Gibbons scorecard holders complete with the Callaway Chev on it. At this point my mind was putty.

20151207_144046-L.jpg

20151207_144634-L.jpg

From here, the #ZooCrew was ready, and so were we, we all loaded up on the bus to make the trip to the desert and this was honestly one of the most fun times I think I have ever had. Just getting to shoot the breeze with all of the #ZooCrew and everyone being all smiles and laughs (even Chad did good this year as far as not being sick as a dog!). Finley talked crap, everyone laughed, I got to chat up the Ethanator and Effin' Pete (EFFIN' PETE!) a ton while we all enjoy the copious amount of snacks and beer/hard-cider that Ethan had gotten for us. Soon enough, JRod emerges from the bathroom in a Superman...er....Super-J footie pajama outfit and tackles me, followed by a big ole hug, Johnny Rod is one of the coolest people you will EVER meet, and its funny how something as crazy as being tackled by him while he is in pajamas can make me emotional, but it does. These guys/gals just get it, they so, so, so, so, get it.

Here is what I saw w/ Johnny running at me:
20151207_154822-L.jpg

After the long trip (that really wasn't long because of the company) got closer to a close, Finley stands up to let us know we don't have time to change and have to go straight to dinner.....we are cool with that. Even cooler when we pull up TO THE EFFING HIDEAWAY!!!!!!!!!!!! Dinner AT the Hideaway? Are you kidding me? We were all (ALL, #ZC included) like kids in a candy store at that point. Full mexican buffet that was insanely good and made me stuffed to the gills (and CHURROS!) as well as the most delicious Margaritas (STRONG!) I have probably ever had. Favorite moment though even beyond the matchups and the hilarity that ensued there, was sitting outside with my teammates, and hearing Philly say it best, looking out off the balcony into the darkness we couldn't see a thing, "Its like a curtain that hasn't been lifted yet, we are here, but we just can't see it ALL yet". Man. What a night. At this point I knew, I loved my team, and I really didn't care what happened after this, I got, IMO, the best total group of guys from top to bottom to get to go to #TheGrandaddy yet. Fantastic. Oh, and SWAG!

20151207_203109-L.jpg

Because I want to do the next two posts on just the competition, I'll do breakfast here too. I slept like a baby, no one stayed out too late the night before. We woke up, met up, waited on Velardo and #RALLO, headed to the course and had BREAKFAST SLIDERS. Yes folks, they are that good. From there, it was to our carts, then the range where I was afraid to hurt the grass until I saw Dean take a crater. Then, to the course!!!! More soon!

20151208_081559_001-L.jpg

20151208_081142-L.jpg

I hope everyone who is gunning for this years #TheGrandaddy w/ Captain Dan at the helm goes through and reads this and the other two recap threads....though you STILL have no clue what you would be in for LOL!

Random Memory:

During our tour of the Zoo Crew offices, Jrod decided he was going to put on the belt and box with a punching bag chanting "THP! THP!" hahaha

Random Memory:

During our tour of the Zoo Crew offices, Jrod decided he was going to put on the belt and box with a punching bag chanting "THP! THP!" hahaha

GG and I were in his office and said "as they pass by, get the belt on" and his response was "Already planning on it"

I hope everyone who is gunning for this years #TheGrandaddy w/ Captain Dan at the helm goes through and reads this and the other two recap threads....though you STILL have no clue what you would be in for LOL!

It's something that will still hit us all right square in the face for a few days later this year... I'm just glad you guys are going so in depth (and were so in depth) during the event.. Makes it easier to not go cross-eyed with awesomeness when it's finally our time!

It's something that will still hit us all right square in the face for a few days later this year... I'm just glad you guys are going so in depth (and were so in depth) during the event.. Makes it easier to not go cross-eyed with awesomeness when it's finally our time!

Hopefully we have a couple more of the guys jump in with theirs soon. I really love hearing things from another perspective.

Hopefully we have a couple more of the guys jump in with theirs soon. I really love hearing things from another perspective.

For some it's tough to put in words what left them speechless a month ago, haha! Then again, it's got to be up there as 'the' golf experience of a lifetime, which sounds pretty darn fun to recollect via recap!

Random Memory:

Did I miss the video on that one??? That's too funny.

For some it's tough to put in words what left them speechless a month ago, haha! Then again, it's got to be up there as 'the' golf experience of a lifetime, which sounds pretty darn fun to recollect via recap!

Have to agree with the tough to put into words. Not impossible, just tough. It's just hard to describe how many different ways your jaw can possibly drop?

Have to agree with the tough to put into words. Not impossible, just tough. It's just hard to describe how many different ways your jaw can possibly drop?

You could always take the Jman approach and use ALL the words... hahahaha! #MyBrotherIsVerbal

You could always take the Jman approach and use ALL the words... hahahaha! #MyBrotherIsVerbal

Darn if I didn't read every word though

Love reading the recaps. Just takes you right back to that place. I know the rest of the guys will jump in with theirs. I still think about this event everyday. No joke, every day. Nothing compares.

Love reading the recaps. Just takes you right back to that place. I know the rest of the guys will jump in with theirs. I still think about this event everyday. No joke, every day. Nothing compares.

Same here dude. Every day I re-live this one. Every single day.

Cannot wait to read the other entries I know will be soon to come from our teammates.

I may do a video recap of my rounds.. haven't decided yet. I started to type them out, but it is so hard to put that stuff into words. I have recapped everything else but my actual rounds to this point, and think video might be the route to go

I may do a video recap of my rounds.. haven't decided yet. I started to type them out, but it is so hard to put that stuff into words. I have recapped everything else but my actual rounds to this point, and think video might be the route to go

I love it Taylor. Plus, its an easy way to recap when one doesn't have the time to type it all up. I considered the heck out of it for my matches, so much to try and remember, but I'm typing because its what I have been known to do from time to time. Hahahaha

The 2015 Grandaddy Recap Thread - Thanks For The Memories

Travel Day: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?77162-The-2015-Grandaddy-Recap-Thread-Thanks-For-The-Memories&p=4173783&viewfull=1#post4173783
Day 2-Part 1 ECPC: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?77162-The-2015-Grandaddy-Recap-Thread-Thanks-For-The-Memories&p=4183453&viewfull=1#post4183453
Day 2- Part 2 Callaway HQ/R&D Tour
Leaving ECPC was bittersweet based on the fact that I maynever spend 3-4 hours pertaining to golf like we had just experienced.Nonetheless we knew we were heading to another slice of amazing at Callaway HQ.To start our time at HQ we did a tour of the offices, build room, indoorfitting center(same setup as the indoor facility at ECPC), Callaway Live Studioand Lunch in the Conference room for some Q&A with the best of the best!
As we made our way through the offices I quickly realizedhow large the ZooCrew is! The Callaway squad is so much bigger than those whohave been fortunate enough to play with THPers so far. Smiles around everycorner and they are as envious of their coworkers as we are of those who get tobe a part of these incredible events. My favorite part of the office tour wasthe Podcast Studio, I didn’t grab a picture but the simple, straightforward andinformative content coming out of that quaint room is awesome to me. The CallawayLive Studio is pretty awesome too, so simple but so well done. The execution isgetting better and better which is pretty impressive, because outside of ourEmmy wielding friend Neubarth, everyone is new to productions of this levels. Iwould say they are doing a pretty damn good job! Thank you for continuing to goabove and beyond the norm.

6fa1271ec7319d73c62b826a15e589c9.jpg

Following the office tour we sat down for some lunch in theconference room alongside some Q&A with the some of the best minds in business.We had the likes of Dr. Hocknell, RFC, Austie, Koske, countless ZooCrew, manyothers, and as mentioned by others, the CEO Chip Brewer even casually stoppedby and joined the conversation. As a single consumer in the Golf World I feltquite small for a few moments in this room, but quickly you realize these arejust folks who love golf and in return love their jobs the same as you and I. Thefact that the CEO can just casually walk by and talk so candidly on the ups anddowns within the Golf Industry since the recession was really cool. The momentthat stands out most for me in our Q&A was with Mr. Brewer. I asked ‘Do youfeel any particular product made the biggest leap for Callaway during the 5 YearWar?’ He simply lowered his chin to his chest, shook his head casually andlooks at Harry and says, ‘you think they would consult their boss before up andstarting a war’ with some humor in his voice.
46f308a1bad1ae4b9eab139a6f1d2492.jpg

Paraphrasing of course based onmemory but was a very cool moment. He has had a lot of faith in Harry and hisplans and they have worked out very well. I can see why having met and playedgolf with Harry, he just gets it. Overall they have been extremely happy withjust about every form of growth in marketshare which obviously means the clubsare meeting the consumers’ expectations. From the Big Bertha Series, ApexSeries, MD3, Chrome Soft, and now the new XR 16 series coming out there areserious clubs and balls for every level of player. Not leaving them out butOdyssey doing Odyssey so damn well! If I had to pick my favorite club so far ofthe new offerings I would say it’s the Apex 4 Hybrid I have securely planted inthe bag. That thing is going to be a serious go to club I know it even as I sithere typing and the real feel is -2 outside :)

After lunch we split up into groups of 6 for the R&Dportion. First I saw more of the club side, almost information overload,clubheads all over the place, cut in various cross sections being analyzed andtested. I knew testing occurred but this went above and beyond what I thought. Acousticsroom, Chatter test, Balls being launched into the faces of clubs, clubsswinging and hitting balls, extreme temperature testing and many more. Beyondall the testing you have the actual individuals running the machines that aremilling and creating the parts of new/prototype irons. A very top secret feelto it all which is beyond understandable. I don’t think I was fully ready forthe clubs side of R&D as some went right over my head and wish I would haveabsorbed a lot more.
The second half of the R&D tour sunk in a whole lot moreand I loved learning all about Golf Balls. Seeing how balls go from a batch ofbulk core, to cut to plugs and then formed into the typical core from the plugswas pretty neat. Learning how the Skin of a golf ball, at least Callawaysmethod, is applied evenly to ensure a centered core was pretty darn cool andmakes a lot of sense. The launch studio was by far the coolest. It was a longroom with machine at one end which launches balls at set speeds and angles at anet on the other end. There are cameras set up between the launcher and the netthat take pictures of the ball as they pass by the camera so they can analyzehow the ball is reacting at different speeds during the rise, peak and fall ofthe ball. All very cool up close and personal and you quickly realize that thetechnology and physics that goes into Golf Balls is absolutely mind blowing.Everyone I talk to about learning the ins and outs of golf balls is alwaysblown away, obviously we know research happens, but when you see it happening,its eye opening.

69e6ed9ab1b9fea86eafd6a9709ede2a.jpg

1341075e6568811d93d43832b74d3e0f.jpg

Will be edited to add photos( All on my phone)

To be continued: Day 2 Bus Ride and Hideaway Dinner…..

I could read recaps all day every day

Yeah buddy, get that narrow face on video!

That is a hell of a recap Harv!

I'd love to watch so video recaps of matches. I'd also love hear from the zoocrew and what they thought.
Yeah buddy, get that narrow face on video!

That R&D stuff is so cool!

Just watched the latest Callaway Live Minute with AJ and Chad. The last 10 seconds is the Callaway live song and I just had a rush of emotions. Damn I miss being in that studio with all you guys

It's on *******. Grandaddy motivation in all facets.

0da15e84e465c7442b7d5bdd2de7fa22.jpg

Back