The Ultimate Golf Event Period - The 2014 Morgan Cup - #THPMC

I don't think it's possible for me to get any more excited than I already am. I've mentally checked out of work already and I'm ready to go! A week from right now I should be on the 7th hole with WCB, Castor and Castor's Friend (I'm sure he has a real name, but I'll call him CF for now). It's so real now!

I was just on FB and saw the one week countdown...i cannot believe it's almost here! So excited for all of you!

Oh wow..........

That got the old ticker goin!

JM

It's so close I can feel it...I need to pack....but I think I'll wait until it's too late not to get stressed about it! :D

As we lead towards the final week before the final Morgan Cup, I have to say I am getting a bit emotional as we finish the planning. The remainder of this week will be rather frantic for GG and myself as we put together some bags, go through every single piece of equipment that has arrived to inspect and of course begin our journey to Myrtle Beach, only to do all of this again upon arrival.

There are highs and lows in everybody's life and this event brings out both. For me personally there are certain things that just take me back to why it was created. Whether that be the company interaction (and more coming) during one of golf's largest stages or hearing the excitement in their voices, it makes me glad that we were able to host this wonderful competition and complete journey.

I've written enough long and sappy posts for you to realize right now that this one is not ending. In fact to further move on that thought, in some ways the Morgan Cup is not ending. While it is true that this is the final event, we have some major plans in store for our wonderful community about the future. Each of the past 6 years has shown such a tremendous amount of growth, enjoyment, disappointment, satisfaction and it all mimics the highs and lows that life gives to us with each step. There will always be valleys and peaks, and in a week, you will see a peak that few can say they have been a part of and then the curtain will be closed and the chapter will end.

The ending of the chapter, will absolutely open up a new chapter as we have done each and every year on THP. What started out as a single event and then the addition of this incredible journey, has moved towards near 15 events with each special in their own way. The term #FranchiseRewritten was born because we believe we have changed the playbook in how communities interact and how THP will continue to evolve moving forward. That campaign will continue next year along with a few others including, but not limited to #OutingApproved.

We are proud of what we have moved towards and are even more proud of the 40 participants for gritting out the journey known as #THPMC not knowing anything that awaits them. Gritting it out with format changes including when as a tour player, their staff equipment and accessories are given to them. And of course gritted out amidst the turmoil that always comes out behind the scenes by some during this event. When push comes to shove, you 40 are amazing and nobody will ever be able to take this away from you.

In just a week, each of you will have a jolt of electricity hit you that you have never felt before. Gone are the days of media day and mundane interviews and from the ground a phoenix rises full of fun and excitement. The day of spending 20 minutes with your staff sponsor member died last year and in its place the birth of a special number of hours, where you are their clay to mold. There are so many exciting things that await you, but the one constant is the competition to win the Cup and call yourself a champion.

Next week there will be a lot of smiles. There will be a lot of nerves. And most importantly there will be a lot of fun. As we close this chapter of THP and put it into the record books, just remember this was all done for you. Everything you are about to witness is done because we think the world of the people here and believe they deserve the best that can be offered. Nothing will stop the creative process and thank you for your continuing support of myself, my wife and the people that make this place what it is.

You are about to become an icon and a rock star, so take a deep breath, take it all in and enjoy the ride. This is the Gawd Damn Morgan Cup...THE ULTIMATE GOLF EVENT PERIOD!!!!
To
The
Freaking
Top!!!!

1 WEEK BABY!!

I can see the Spanish Moss from my front porch!

JM

Man I am so ready, work had been crazy busy and I am just ready to get away for a bit, enjoy all of your company and have a great time. Cheers fellas!

Twitter is going crazy with #THPMC buzz! It's here single digits until Sponsor Day!

As we lead towards the final week before the final Morgan Cup, I have to say I am getting a bit emotional as we finish the planning. The remainder of this week will be rather frantic for GG and myself as we put together some bags, go through every single piece of equipment that has arrived to inspect and of course begin our journey to Myrtle Beach, only to do all of this again upon arrival.

There are highs and lows in everybody's life and this event brings out both. For me personally there are certain things that just take me back to why it was created. Whether that be the company interaction (and more coming) during one of golf's largest stages or hearing the excitement in their voices, it makes me glad that we were able to host this wonderful competition and complete journey.

I've written enough long and sappy posts for you to realize right now that this one is not ending. In fact to further move on that thought, in some ways the Morgan Cup is not ending. While it is true that this is the final event, we have some major plans in store for our wonderful community about the future. Each of the past 6 years has shown such a tremendous amount of growth, enjoyment, disappointment, satisfaction and it all mimics the highs and lows that life gives to us with each step. There will always be valleys and peaks, and in a week, you will see a peak that few can say they have been a part of and then the curtain will be closed and the chapter will end.

The ending of the chapter, will absolutely open up a new chapter as we have done each and every year on THP. What started out as a single event and then the addition of this incredible journey, has moved towards near 15 events with each special in their own way. The term #FranchiseRewritten was born because we believe we have changed the playbook in how communities interact and how THP will continue to evolve moving forward. That campaign will continue next year along with a few others including, but not limited to #OutingApproved.

We are proud of what we have moved towards and are even more proud of the 40 participants for gritting out the journey known as #THPMC not knowing anything that awaits them. Gritting it out with format changes including when as a tour player, their staff equipment and accessories are given to them. And of course gritted out amidst the turmoil that always comes out behind the scenes by some during this event. When push comes to shove, you 40 are amazing and nobody will ever be able to take this away from you.

In just a week, each of you will have a jolt of electricity hit you that you have never felt before. Gone are the days of media day and mundane interviews and from the ground a phoenix rises full of fun and excitement. The day of spending 20 minutes with your staff sponsor member died last year and in its place the birth of a special number of hours, where you are their clay to mold. There are so many exciting things that await you, but the one constant is the competition to win the Cup and call yourself a champion.

Next week there will be a lot of smiles. There will be a lot of nerves. And most importantly there will be a lot of fun. As we close this chapter of THP and put it into the record books, just remember this was all done for you. Everything you are about to witness is done because we think the world of the people here and believe they deserve the best that can be offered. Nothing will stop the creative process and thank you for your continuing support of myself, my wife and the people that make this place what it is.

You are about to become an icon and a rock star, so take a deep breath, take it all in and enjoy the ride. This is the Gawd Damn Morgan Cup...THE ULTIMATE GOLF EVENT PERIOD!!!!

Im quoting myself here just in case a few had missed it.
Tonight is a perfect example of what this event is about.
It will be missed. It will not be forgotten. But as the curtain closes, the next act begins. #FranchiseRewritten

Jesus. My personal life is in turmoil right now but THP and the Morgan Cup keep me going for with a smile on my face. Can't freaking wait

I'm so freaking exited for you guys!!

My wife told me I'd be downright obnoxious if I were in it!
She is right! I talk about the Morgan Cup to all the time with her.

You guys (and volunteers) are going to close this storied event in grand fashion, I know each of you hold
that honor in high regard.
Trust the work you've done, let the nerves serve as an indicator of how much this event means to you.
Congratulate the great shots even if they help another team win a hole, pick someone up if they are having a hard time, play your best and in good health.

You guys ARE FREAKING ROCK STARS! Now its time to show the world what we already know!

I woke up this morning with some renewed excitement, a week from today we'll be on Amateur golf's grandest stage. I find myself wanting those new clubs in my hand and I'm envisioning the shots.

I woke up this morning with some renewed excitement, a week from today we'll be on Amateur golf's grandest stage. I find myself wanting those new clubs in my hand and I'm envisioning the shots.

Damn skippy my man! One week and it's on like Donkey Kong

One Week #EnoughSaid

Going to the course this morning to tee it up with a great friend and fellow participant. Kangnam style. Oh the difference a week can make...so close!

Going to the course this morning to tee it up with a great friend and fellow participant. Kangnam style. Oh the difference a week can make...so close!
You text me about how well from today at this time we will be giddy with anticipation. It really kicked the excitement to another level

Sweep the leg, Doug!

#DoWorkDotCom

This event is almost here, 1 week from today I get to see my name on a staff bag, just like a tour pro. I get clubs that were custom built for me, just like a tour pro. I get someone to help me figure out a matching outfit and it isn't my wife, just like a tour pro. I get to play golf in front of cameras for the world to see, just like a tour pro. To set the record straight, I am not a tour pro, but for one magical weekend, I get to go to fantasy camp of sorts and get the tour pro treatment because 2 people out of 6 billion thought it would be a neat experience to offer to hackers like us, and they built an event so incredible that 5 of the biggest names in golf wanted to get involved too.

The fact that this event is almost here is somewhat surreal because it feels like yesterday I still had 7 months of prep work to do. The good news about the event being almost here is that I actually did the prep work and didn't push it off until tomorrow. I hit the balls in my basement when it was -5* outside, I took the lessons to figure out my swing glitches, I've spent hours on the range and the course working on my game, and I feel at peace with where my game is at because of it. There was a long part of this journey where I was scared. What if I wasn't good enough to hit Bridgestone clubs? Well, they're incredible clubs and I have no problem hitting them. What if I'm not good enough to keep my index below an 18? I am, and as of this past Tuesday I'm under a 15 handicap. What if I play like crap and let my team down? I won't, because I've put in the work and my game is sharp, and the only way I'm losing is to good golf by my opponent, not bad golf by myself.

I was afraid of this journey for most of it, and there were some really dark patches where my scores weren't where I wanted them, and it felt like I wasn't doing anything right, but my team helped me through it, and all of you helped me through it. I've turned a corner and all of that fear has been replaced by confidence and excitement. I'm ready for this event, I've done the work and now it's time to reap what I've sowed and enjoy the culmination to this journey by playing some great golf with some great people, while participating in the greatest golf event ever.

Well said Neb, well said!!!

Knowing you're fired up with the game you have just gets me completely jacked up! Let's do this partner!!

Awesome post Neb. Gave me the chills reading that buddy.

Good stuff Neb. Congrats on the hard work put in and the results you have seen.

Well said Neb...well said.

Sitting here watching The Open and a blue collar worker named John Singleton approaches the first tee. Appears cool, calm, and collected...until his name is announced.

HaHa. Matt, this is a post I wish I hadn't seen. It brings back some memories I would have been better off not re-living. I played in the Buick Open Pro-Am a few times, and at the first one I was having a grand time that morning warming up with the pros, and enjoying all the perks from being in such an event as one of the sponsor company execs and was cool as a cucumber right up until they announced my name, title, and responsibilities with GM at the time. Suddenly, the realization hit me that I had to hit a tee shot in front of all those people and not embarrass myself, and I panicked. It felt to me like I was visibly shaking as I approached the ball and I hoped that no one could notice. I remember praying Dear God, let me just hit this ball somewhere in the general direction of the fairway. I took what I felt was a very weak, tentative swing. Since it was early morning and we were directly into the sun, I could not see where the ball went. I asked quickly where did that go, and Tom Lehman, who was my pro for the event and probably saw how panicked I was, said "not to worry Ken, it went right down the middle". (Yes, it was quite a few years ago and Tom was still on the big tour).

Something tells me I'm going to experience that feeling again in eight days when I have to hit that first tee shot in front of perhaps not as may people, but, people that mean far more to me than all those that were watching that day. Dang. Now that I've shared that, everyone will know the little prayer I'll be saying when I step up to that first tee shot.

Back