Tiger Woods Schedules News Conference

Re: Tiger Woods Schedules News Conference

JB said:
Even if he took questions, it would be a prepared for media thing as you put it. It would be now, but heck it always has been. The guy has been a PR robot from the beginning, we all know that.

that's very true...

...so really what's the point?? If people stop paying attention and following it like the messiah.....it'll go away....

that's very true...

...so really what's the point?? If people stop paying attention and following it like the messiah.....it'll go away....

Here is a quick question for you? WHo else has held his last 2 press conferences without taking questions?

Answer:
Spoiler
Our President

I have stolen this material from Maurice Jones Drew

Here is a quick question for you? WHo else has held his last 2 press conferences without taking questions?

Answer:
Spoiler
Our President

I have stolen this material from Maurice Jones Drew

Well he and Tiger are apparently equals in their respective fields, one of them already won a Nobel and the other surely will at some point.:bomb:

I think it is a bit unfortunate that Tiger still is not willing to be and more than likely never will be, a little more transparent. He is going into this with his normal defense system in place so he can be so selective about what he says, who is allowed in to hear it and of course, no questions allowed.
What I would love to see (and it will never happen) is that no one from the media show's up to send a message to him that some questions (and not pre-approved ones) need to be asked and answered.
Tiger has a well oiled machine in place and until those that make up part of the machine are willing to longer take part, we will only get what he wants us to get and nothing more.

Personally I don't think he should have a press conference at all, just show up and play.

It's not a press conference anyway, it's Tiger reading a statement. No reason for live coverage of it.

Personally, I am worn out from Tiger and his shenanigans. This has all grown tedious and I don't care anymore if he returns to golf or not. Actually seeing the guys at the Match Play practice day has given me a fresh perspective on the talent I have available to watch.

Golf will survive without him as it did for 1000 years before him.

Im going to play Devil's advocate here for a second. If he took questions, people would say these things:
1. He did not take the tough questions
2. He gave PR spin for answers
3. He did not take enough questions.

At this point people are angry (for god knows what) and they want answers (which they have no right to). But I absolutely agree with not taking questions.

At this point, no good can come out of it.

In a perfect situation, if he answered questions we should all be able to move on after and the media would stop the hounding. However, that would not happen so I dont see a point of him answering questions. Once TMZ got involved in this whole thing it became a circus.

I think it is a bit unfortunate that Tiger still is not willing to be and more than likely never will be, a little more transparent. He is going into this with his normal defense system in place so he can be so selective about what he says, who is allowed in to hear it and of course, no questions allowed.
What I would love to see (and it will never happen) is that no one from the media show's up to send a message to him that some questions (and not pre-approved ones) need to be asked and answered.
Tiger has a well oiled machine in place and until those that make up part of the machine are willing to longer take part, we will only get what he wants us to get and nothing more.

Padraig Harrington put it this way:

"The first time out, he's better controlling it, over time, there will be questions. At the moment, the best thing is a more controlled environment and gradually ease his way back into it."​

There is some wisdom in that thinking because instead of a short statement, a regular Q&A press conference would quickly become the usual three-ring circus. If people think that Tiger's "scheduled statement" is interfering with the WGC, a full-fledged press conference would bury it altogether.

It's obvious that the timing of all of this is to take a shot at Accenture as Rory McIlroy pointed out when he said, "I suppose he might want to get something back against the sponsor that dropped him." and frankly, I can't say that I blame Tiger for wanting to do so. Is that selfish and self-serving? Absolutely. But it's his way of letting them know just how big he is and how small they are by comparison and it's human nature to want a bit of revenge.

The guy who I thought was acting like a complete idiot was Golf Channel's Alex Miceli, who worked himself into a lather on TV assaulting Tiger calling him selfish and gutless and nearly blowing a gasket when asking:

"Is that what we want? Is that what the world wants? They want to hear Tiger answer questions from the media about what he did to his wife and kids and why he treated the world this way..."​

What he did to his wife and kids? How is that any of our business? And why he treated the world this way?

What way is that, Al? That he totally screwed up his life and wanted some time to think things over? Is that what you're mad at?

Alex Miceli is behaving the same way that the rest of the TMZ "media" is behaving. He's not interested in "why", all he wants is what everyone else wants; a detailed accounting of room numbers and sex positions - the usual National Inquirer sensationalism so that irrelevant gasbags such as he can get a quick vicarious thrill from someone who lives a life that he could only dream of living.

Maybe the timing of all of this is suspect and maybe there are ulterior motives afoot, but can't we just wait to hear what Tiger has to say before we trot out the slings and arrows?

-JP

Personally I don't think he should have a press conference at all, just show up and play.

It's not a press conference anyway, it's Tiger reading a statement. No reason for live coverage of it.

I don't get why he doesn't just release it. Not a lot of benefit to anyone from his showing up in person, unless it's to show off his facial reconstruction (or whatever it was).

Padraig Harrington put it this way:

"The first time out, he's better controlling it, over time, there will be questions. At the moment, the best thing is a more controlled environment and gradually ease his way back into it."​

There is some wisdom in that thinking because instead of a short statement, a regular Q&A press conference would quickly become the usual three-ring circus. If people think that Tiger's "scheduled statement" is interfering with the WGC, a full-fledged press conference would bury it altogether.

It's obvious that the timing of all of this is to take a shot at Accenture as Rory McIlroy pointed out when he said, "I suppose he might want to get something back against the sponsor that dropped him." and frankly, I can't say that I blame Tiger for wanting to do so. Is that selfish and self-serving? Absolutely. But it's his way of letting them know just how big he is and how small they are by comparison and it's human nature to want a bit of revenge.

The guy who I thought was acting like a complete idiot was Golf Channel's Alex Miceli, who worked himself into a lather on TV assaulting Tiger calling him selfish and gutless and nearly blowing a gasket when asking:

"Is that what we want? Is that what the world wants? They want to hear Tiger answer questions from the media about what he did to his wife and kids and why he treated the world this way..."​

What he did to his wife and kids? How is that any of our business? And why he treated the world this way?

What way is that, Al? That he totally screwed up his life and wanted some time to think things over? Is that what you're mad at?

Alex Miceli is behaving the same way that the rest of the TMZ "media" is behaving. He's not interested in "why", all he wants is what everyone else wants; a detailed accounting of room numbers and sex positions - the usual National Inquirer sensationalism so that irrelevant gasbags such as he can get a quick vicarious thrill from someone who lives a life that he could only dream of living.

Maybe the timing of all of this is suspect and maybe there are ulterior motives afoot, but can't we just wait to hear what Tiger has to say before we trot out the slings and arrows?

-JP

Very well put. I heard all of Miceli's comments early this morning for the first time.

To say he has some kind of agenda to push is an understatement.

He crossed the line when he started ranting about how Tiger should come clean about the personal stuff. Saying that's what "we" want to really hear about.

Well, no, a lot of us don't. The TMZ gossip fans of the world want to, and will cry about this conference not having enough or any detail, like they already are before it's happened, but there are those of us who realize and know that Tiger is just a golfer and entertainer.

He should start being looked at as those two things and nothing more.

I stuck around to watch Golf Central right after the tournament ended for the day and what got me was when Miceli started off his rant by saying the he should be talking about Mike Weir and he should be talking about the WGC...

And I thought to myself, "So what's stopping you?"

HE's the one that's making a big deal out of this. HE's the one who's frothing at the mouth and going off on a venomous rant.

I saw the "update" during the tournament that told me Tiger was going to make a statement at 11:00AM on Friday. Now I'm just as interested as the next guy to hear what he has to say, but I'm not planning my week around it.

And I for one WOULD have liked to hear about Mike Weir because I tuned in late and missed his round, so Miceli deprived me of something I'd rather know about but instead he wasted MY time by going off on Tiger.

So who do I complain to about that, Al?

-JP

I stuck around to watch Golf Central right after the tournament ended for the day and what got me was when Miceli started off his rant by saying the he should be talking about Mike Weir and he should be talking about the WGC...

And I thought to myself, "So what's stopping you?"

HE's the one that's making a big deal out of this. HE's the one who's frothing at the mouth and going off on a venomous rant.

I saw the "update" during the tournament that told me Tiger was going to make a statement at 11:00AM on Friday. Now I'm just as interested as the next guy to hear what he has to say, but I'm not planning my week around it.

And I for one WOULD have liked to hear about Mike Weir because I tuned in late and missed his round, so Miceli deprived me of something I'd rather know about but instead he wasted MY time by going off on Tiger.

So who do I complain to about that, Al?

-JP

Yep. Agree 100% again.

I had heard on this forum a little about what Mecelli said, so I made a point to catch it all.

He went into it right away and I was just left raising my eyebrows a little bit and thinking, "wow, who put a quarter in this guy"?

Like yous said, he didn't even need to talk about Tiger if he didn't want to. He could have talked about Weir having an aweseome round or about anyone else's round. I would also have been interested in hearing about those things. However, he obviously had to get the Tiger press conference off his chest.

There had better be a damn good reason for scheduling this "event" on Friday of the Match play. I don't think Tiger will be anywhere near Phoenix next week.

There had better be a damn good reason for scheduling this "event" on Friday of the Match play. I don't think Tiger will be anywhere near Phoenix next week.

There are no matches going on during the time Tiger's press conference is going on. TV coverage doesn't start until the afternoon.

How is Tiger taking anything away from the match play tournament?

Outside of the golf channel, where do you see any coverage of the tournament? Outside of the golf channel, who is talking about this tournament?

So, how is Tiger taking anything away from something that no one is talking about?

I would make the argument that people are now talking about the tournament BECAUSE of Tiger. Instead of ESPN doing a ten second clip of the tournament, now that Tiger is in the news, I bet they pay more attention to it.

Another article on the ridiculous timing of the faux press conference:

Shedloski: Curious Timing: Golf Digest

Curious Timing
Tiger Woods' decision to hold a press conference in the middle of the Match Play Championship caught some of his fellow players' attention

By Dave Shedloski
Photo by Sam Greenwood/Getty Images
February 17, 2010

MARANA, Ariz. -- Curiosity permeated the still desert air Wednesday afternoon at Ritz Carlton Golf Club as news of the reemergence of Tiger Woods to a public forum spread throughout the 64-man field at the Accenture Match Play Championship.

There was curiosity about what the No. 1 player in the world might say when he delivers his premeditated remarks to "a small group of friends, colleagues and close associates," at the TPC Sawgrass clubhouse at PGA Tour headquarters at 11 a.m. EST Friday.

And there was curiosity about the timing of the media event, coming in the midst of one of the biggest non-major tournaments of the season, a World Golf Championship event, not to mention a tournament sponsored by Accenture, which was among the companies that dropped Woods as a spokesman after his post-Thanksgiving auto accident ignited a tabloid firestorm about his questionable off-course behavior.

Though few players would speak on the record about it, those approached for comment by Golf World were universally dubious of Woods' decision to choose a tournament day to make his first public appearance. Not many were amused that "Golf's Global Summit," which these World Golf Championships are billed as, were being pre-empted by golf's global icon.

"That was the first thing we all thought of, like he is sticking it to Accenture -- and that the PGA Tour is part of it all," one player said in the locker room, shaking his head. "It's like Tim (Finchem, the tour commissioner) has lost his head. He wants Tiger back in the worst way, and so he lets this go on. I mean, we all want to see Tiger back, but this doesn't look good."

Strong sentiments, for sure. Some players weren't afraid to echo them in more diplomatic terms.

"The timing of it is not the best," Sergio Garcia said, "but he has to do what's best for him, I guess."

Added Rory McIlroy: "He's got to come out at some point. I suppose he might want to get something back against the sponsor that dropped him."

Ouch.

"It's just went on for so long, I think," McIlroy added. "I'm sick of hearing about it. And I'm just looking forward to when he's getting back on the golf course."

Finchem, meeting briefly with reporters in the media center, didn't think Woods was overshadowing Accenture or the $8.5 million event it is sponsoring and that Woods has won three times.

"I don't think so. You know, we have tournaments every week," Finchem said while surrounded by about 20 members of the media, when asked if the WGC event was being undermined. "I think it's going to be a story in and of itself. And a lot of people are going to be watching golf this week to see what the world of golf says about it, my guess is, so that will be a good thing."

Asked why Woods couldn't have chosen a Monday for his public statement, Finchem replied, "You'd have to ask the Woods camp about the schedule. We were asked to make the facility available and to help with the logistics. That's what we're doing."

Regardless of the message Woods delivers, his peers were at least heartened by the news that he was going to perhaps show some contrition for his admitted "transgressions" and give some indication when he might return to competitive golf.

"Anything that starts the healing process is a good thing," England's Paul Casey said.

"It's encouraging that he's coming back to at least be seen by the public, and the rest of us, too, I consider myself the public when we're talking about this matter. So it's good that we're going to see Tiger Woods," said British Open champion Stewart Cink. "I think it's coincidental that he would pick the Friday of Accenture to announce. It's probably got more to do with his schedule than anything else. It will be good to see Tiger's face again, and see that he's actually out there somewhere."

Added David Toms, who like Cink has played in the Ryder Cup and Presidents Cup with Woods: "We're all going to be interested in what Tiger has to say. It's a huge topic in the locker room, around the lunch tables, everywhere we go. We all want to know as players what he's going to do. We hope that he's OK and that he comes back soon."

Two-time Accenture Match Play winner Geoff Ogilvy, the defending champion this week, also admitted he is intrigued by what Woods might say. "Maybe we can put the whole tournament on hold for 10 minutes to watch (on TV)," he said with a laugh.

He was clearly joking. But in the next breath, Ogilvy turned serious and was forthright in openly wondering why the whole affair was being so meticulously orchestrated.

"The only thing I will say about it is that I would like to see him answer some questions," Ogilvy said. "If he answers some questions, then that would make it real because he wouldn't be working off a script. But it's a start. And he's got to start somewhere."

You can not believe Tiger did this to HELP the tournament? It is a distraction and meant to be one. This could easily been done on a Monday or Tuesday. I am a little miffed the PGA let Tiger schedule it on Friday.

i can think of better things to be doing with my morning than watching his 'conference'. i refuse to call it a news conference. maybe the one camera feed will be TMZ.

bring on some match play.

If I were Tiger the first person I would fire from my entourage when I got back to playing is Finchem.............:sarcastic:

:D

It appears that Tiger isn't happy with Accenture - hence the timing of this press conference. It makes me wonder if he did want to play and was refused.

1 2 3 4

It appears that Tiger isn't happy with Accenture - hence the timing of this press conference. It makes me wonder if he did want to play and was refused.

1 2 3 4

I heard on the radio that he checked with Accenture first.

Kevin

1 2 3 4

What's the 1 2 3 4 in white?

Back