Tight, uphill lie, front pin, which shot?

In all reality I'd play it like this. 60* opened flat to the ground, play the ball to the front of my stance (just inside of left heel), grip all the way down on the club, aim about 3-5 feet left of the target, full swing with as flat of a plane as I can possibly muster. Absolutely do not, i repeat DO NOT let your hands get in front of the club head. Bad juju will ensue! What I get out of this shot is a ball that flies at least 20 feet in the air and travels well less than that forward and lands with little to zero roll out. I like to call it the Phil-Mick.

Disclaimer: I practice this shot a LOT and will not be responsible for any broken windows or playing partners bruised and battered family jewels!

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

Like ward said it depends on the level of your short game. Some like to bump. I like an open 56* with some cut spin to leave it below the hole.
If you can pull off the harder shots then you should!

In all reality I'd play it like this. 60* opened flat to the ground, play the ball to the front of my stance (just inside of left heel), grip all the way down on the club, aim about 3-5 feet left of the target, full swing with as flat of a plane as I can possibly muster. Absolutely do not, i repeat DO NOT let your hands get in front of the club head. Bad juju will ensue! What I get out of this shot is a ball that flies at least 20 feet in the air and travels well less than that forward and lands with little to zero roll out. I like to call it the Phil-Mick.

Disclaimer: I practice this shot a LOT and will not be responsible for any broken windows or playing partners bruised and battered family jewels!

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

I could be wrong but if you open up the club your adding bounce, therefore by playing the ball further forward in your stance there is a huge chance that you could just blade the ball across the green. From what your describing it sounds like a pretty straight forward flop shot which I always thought should be played from the middle of your stance. At least that's where I was always taught to hit it from.

I'll use my magical flop shot which would be even floppier on the uphill lie. If there's slope behind the pin I'll go over and roll it back to the pin, if not stop it close.

I have great confidence in my flop shot game so that is probably the shot I am going to go with. If not, I'd say a bump and run with a hybrid.

Think I'd take a 60, put it a little back in my stance, chip it, hope it lands on the fringe and then rolls out to the hole.

I would find a way to putt unless its over water, I can putt from anywhere!

Probably use the 4I in that situation.

The ole Philly flop for me,I hit those anywhere around the green

I prefer to take the Mikelson approach and lob it near and it'll stop with a high spin ball. I tend to over roll when I attempt to bump and run.

I go up high. The uphill lie helps with this, and I aim to land it at the pin. If it lands real soft, I might luck out with maybe a 6 footer, if not, I'm middle of the green, with a two putt. Basically, I make sure my miss is an 'ok' miss.

~Rock

get myself to the middle of the green and 2 putt

I'd take out the 64 and IceJack it close! In reality I would consider taking a hybrid and bump and run it in.

I'd just wedge it soft and in the air and play for a little roll out. Or, I might try to wedge it up there, wussy out, and have a second try at it.

You shouldn't have to flop with an uphill lie. The slope will get your ball up in the air all it needs. No way I would try to hit it into the bank or fly the stick and hope for a two putt. I'm getting that shot up and down 99% of the time. There's no easier short game shot than the uphill lie b/c you don't really need to open the face up at all.

You shouldn't have to flop with an uphill lie. The slope will get your ball up in the air all it needs. No way I would try to hit it into the bank or fly the stick and hope for a two putt. I'm getting that shot up and down 99% of the time. There's no easier short game shot than the uphill lie b/c you don't really need to open the face up at all.

lots of truth right there. The high flopper might be the worst shot selection in that situation.

I like to bump and run when possible. I would just gauge my distance and go with the appropriate club that would get it rolling quickly and make it over the hill close to the hole. I'm not good enough to flop and stop it so I go with what I've practiced.

Unfortunately, how easy the shot is hinges a lot on your equipment (ie the bounce).

Unfortunately, how easy the shot is hinges a lot on your equipment (ie the bounce).

I would be just fine in that situation without custom grinds, etc.

I agree TC. Depending on the severity of the upslope, that will get the ball up just fine. I love that shot and for me it is the easiest short game shot except maybe a pitch out of the fairway with nothing in front of the green.

I'm sure it is TC, I don't doubt you one sec. I prefer downhill, ball above my feet and flat ground well before the uphill lie. I just don't like it. Only one that is worse is ball below your feet on a tight cut.

I'm sure it is TC, I don't doubt you one sec. I prefer downhill, ball above my feet and flat ground well before the uphill lie. I just don't like it. Only one that is worse is ball below your feet on a tight cut.

I use to struggle with the uphill lie, especially if its severe but choking up, taking a little more club, and trusting the slope has made a differenc for me.

Think I'd take a 60, put it a little back in my stance, chip it, hope it lands on the fringe and then rolls out to the hole.

^^ This right here. Without seeing the shot it's hard to pick the landing point but it may not be the fringe, it may be into the hill a little bit depending on how little green is available. The other thing I would do is to choke down on the club and get a little closer to the ball. Helps to get better contact with less chance of hitting it fat or thin. Choking down also helps you stay aggressive with the shot and not come up short. If I don't do that I get a mental block that keeps me from hitting it hard enough and I end up short.

The man speaks the troof. The uphill lie will add all the loft you need. Just put the ball in the middle of your stance and play a normal chip, it'll fly up and land soft. Bringing the bank into play adds another unknown factor to the shot. Putting the ball forward in your stance brings the blade into play. Keep it simple and make sure 100% you give yourself a putt for your next shot.

Back