Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Other

Votes: 13 13.5%

• Total voters

bobgeorge

Kentucky Wildcat Fan!
Reaction score
Handicap
Rory's run away win?...no Tiger? Phil not not on the leaderboard?

Rory's run away win?...no Tiger? Phil not not on the leaderboard?
I bet. Young Rory isn't moving any needles just yet. If that was Tiger instead of Rory, it would have been near record ratings if not higher.

No tiger, not a tight leaderboard and last year was a west coast venue, with the time difference the finishing holes creeped into prime-time on the east coast

--
tapatalk

Final round was over before it started.
Euro was going to win.
Only 2 Americans in the top 10, and nobody could pick them out of a lineup. Garrigus' putter is 5x more famous than he is.

No Tiger and it wasn't even close. Heck, I didn't watch every round.

No Tiger for sure. He brings in the casual viewer.

Not sure the average channel flipper (non-golf follower) knows/cares much about Mcllroy yet. If anything, the casual *might* recall him as the kid who blew up at the Masters.

I thought it was great to watch......although I have to say....Congressional isn't too impressive on TV and Mcllroy's final holes after the birdie on 10 were kinda bleh....

Rory's run away win made it boring? The outcome was obvious after the first couple of holes on Sunday.

No Tiger? Tiger not being at a tournament is always going to hurt ratings somewhat.

Phil not on the leaderboard? With Phil not in contention and no Tiger = less interest for the average golf fan.

I believe it has something to do with all the above.

Rory is great and I hope he has a wonderful long career, but Tiger's star and well crafted image came at a time when the public was looking for the next Michael Jordan. Throw into the other factors like Tiger's his multi-ethnicity, his cred with other athletes, the burgeoning accessibility of the Internet to the masses ... and then Tiger backed it up on the course? With creativity and fire and signature fist pumps. And let's not forget the backing of the single most powerful athletics company on earth that knew how to make an icon? Wow. How many memorable Tiger commercials were played during other televised sports? Hello World? The ball juggling one? (great soundtrack) I am Tiger Woods? The one with Earl's voice? (that one gives me the shivers)

Tiger made golf cool.

Phil has a bit of that, a bit of that swashbuckler, but I feel like as much as some of us root for Phil, there is a large contingent that watches Phil to see if he flames out.

Rory's great but his star exists within the world of golf. That might draw golf fans, but not the channel flipper or the guys in the bar on Sunday afternoon. Too bad really, Rory seems like a genuinely good guy.

The reason I barely watched on the weekend was, zero competition for #1. No big names in the top 3. And watching guys throw darts at a green from 150 yards out just isn't very exciting to me. I know I'm in the minority with this but I never liked watching TW win by 5+ strokes, or MJ run circles around the arena either. I caught all those moments on the highlights. If there isn't competition it's just some guys golfing.

JB said the ratings would be down. He was correct. If TW was where Rory was I'm thinking the ratings would have been higher. I thought it was compelling, but then I'm a diehard golfer.

The ratings were actually down even further than that in quarter marks and key demographics. Scary bad.
Casual viewers did not tune in at all.
They have no idea who Rory is.

I love the diehard comments though. I really do. They loved Tiger Woods during his domination because he would, well, dominate. Run away with it and play incredible golf. It appears every time there is a TW thread. "Tiger is more exciting because of his domination".
Yet when Rory does the exact same thing, they did not tune in.

The ratings were actually down even further than that in quarter marks and key demographics. Scary bad.

I love the diehard comments though. I really do. They loved Tiger Woods during his domination because he would, well, dominate. Run away with it and play incredible golf. It appears every time there is a TW thread. "Tiger is more exciting because of his domination".

Maybe some commercials to tell us how exciting Rory is would help.

Posted via Tapatalk

Purely no Tigger.

They said that some golf clubs actually sent back tickets when they heard he wasnt playing. Keeeerazy.

Tiger did it over and over. Rory keeps winning like that and people will start paying attention more. Casual viewers want to see greatness and not some guy who got hot at the right time. A guy who can pull off multiple wins, put Phil in Rory's shoes and the ratings would have gone up. To true fans, Rory is well known, to joe everybody, not so much.

Tiger did it over and over. Rory keeps winning like that and people will start paying attention more. Casual viewers want to see greatness and not some guy who got hot at the right time. A guy who can pull off multiple wins, put Phil in Rory's shoes and the ratings would have gone up. To true fans, Rory is well known, to joe everybody, not so much.

I dont discount count and it what I was saying all weekend in the US Open thread.
However I hate to hear the non-casual fans (the ones here) say that they love to watch domination and then tune out when we saw domination.

I dont discount count and it what I was saying all weekend in the US Open thread.
However I hate to hear the non-casual fans (the ones here) say that they love to watch domination and then tune out when we saw domination.

Totally agree with you, the way Rory played this weekend was amazing, and the most impressive was how easy he made it look.

jb said:

:clapp:

I couldn't agree more. I even read a few people that complained there was no competition because the course was too easy. But easy should equate to all players across the board. There were only 20 people below par and the top 3 in the world were +2 combined. Easier maybe, but not easy. I absolutely loved all 4 rounds.

Personally, I watched more holes of this Open than any in the past few years. Rory's Saturday round blew me away. His shotmaking this day was amazing to me. Sunday was just mailing in pars, but still awesome. Had anyone been within 3 of him all weekend, ratings might have improved.

THreads like these just prove to me how some folks just like golf b/c of Tiger. That's what really makes me sad. He's a scumbag, Rory is the exact opposite. Rory is great in post round interviews and handled himself like a much mature person after his collapse at Augusta. Threads like these just confirm how narrow minded Tiger fans truly are. They only like golf when Tiger is around and winning. I hate that.

I tuned in. I was impressed that Rory was able to pull it all together after fading in the last Masters and British. I was happy for him. He's got a great career ahead of him.

Tiger was a decorated American athlete before he turned pro. He made watching US Amateurs must watch TV. He had a following before he turned pro. If Rory continues to dominate, people will watch.

I personally didn't watch it because half the field shouldn't be -4 or better at a US Open. Alot of people don't realize when Tiger won by 15 he was the only guy under par. When a guy does what only 4 other people before him have done in 110 years and finishes T6 something is wrong.

The general public didn't watch because Tiger wasn't playing.

Both are strictly my opinion but that is what I would guess.

Back