What happened to Never Compromise?

Did they lose many of the shapes? I can think of a couple, but not too many.
There is some irony there because when they launched, more than half the people said they were too expensive. So they made similar shapes in the Cleveland line and they got passed over and ask for NC back. It is interesting how price plays a role in terms of quality perception.

You're correct, they didn't lose that many now that I look at their site.

I think they were seen as a "bang for the buck" over the last few years with the brand not doing much and prices dropping. I'm not familiar with their initial pricing when viewed as too expensive but I can see some saying that as they are not a boutique brand. Some STEALS out there over the last 6 months - hell probably 75% off of initial price.

I think it was necessary, and honestly, smart.

You now get the same shapes, in a more affordable package with just as good of quality. I think many got caught up in the flash of the final iteration of NC.

Great point about the flash. The "bling" on the sole and some sweet headcovers did help the cause.

I think it was necessary, and honestly, smart.

You now get the same shapes, in a more affordable package with just as good of quality. I think many got caught up in the flash of the final iteration of NC.

But flash is fun, affordable with face milled written on the face really isn't.

Shame, I love the Sub-30 insert, and I always liked the designs. Still, makes sense for Cleveland/Srixon to consolidate.

Off to e-bay for some shopping.

I don't think that insert is gone.. Seemed very familiar in the Classic 1i I tested late last year.

But flash is fun, affordable with face milled written on the face really isn't.

Flash also didn't sell well. The milled putter market is a tough nut to crack.

I've been blunt on my feelings of the "face milled" on the putters (non-insert, their insert is very good BTW), but the rest of the package is aethetically money. With the sole they took some of those NC traits and put it into a more complete Cleveland package.

At 99.00 they can compete there, at the price the NC's were on release, they couldn't. My humble opinion, of course.

There's something about the metal that my putter is made of that feels so good when rolling a putt. The ball seems to bond with the face and there is no loud clicky sound. Some folks might like the loud click but for me, the smooth silky smack feels great.

Read today that the guy that originally start NC started a new putter company called Brainstorm Golf and created the Happy Putter

There's something about the metal that my putter is made of that feels so good when rolling a putt. The ball seems to bond with the face and there is no loud clicky sound. Some folks might like the loud click but for me, the smooth silky smack feels great.

One of the "Grey Matter" putters. Fun fun sticks, had a lot of names rolling them for a while.

One of the "Grey Matter" putters. Fun fun sticks, had a lot of names rolling them for a while.

Yup! Exactly and back in the day these putters cost a nice little chunk. You can probably find them on the bay for a fraction of the cost now.

You're correct, they didn't lose that many now that I look at their site.

I think they were seen as a "bang for the buck" over the last few years with the brand not doing much and prices dropping. I'm not familiar with their initial pricing when viewed as too expensive but I can see some saying that as they are not a boutique brand. Some STEALS out there over the last 6 months - hell probably 75% off of initial price.

They were $299 at launch.
A few people bought them under $100
That is normal for clubs several years old of course.

Yup! Exactly and back in the day these putters cost a nice little chunk. You can probably find them on the bay for a fraction of the cost now.

They did indeed. When you can get one in good shape, they are wonderful sticks. I used to have a few in the arsenal (go figure, right? LOL)

They were $299 at launch.
A few people bought them under $100
That is normal for clubs several years old of course.

That's what I paid for mine several years back.

They did indeed. When you can get one in good shape, they are wonderful sticks. I used to have a few in the arsenal (go figure, right? LOL)

haha you ole putter ho :D

I don't think that insert is gone.. Seemed very familiar in the Classic 1i I tested late last year.

I haven't had a chance to hit that one, but I wouldn't be surprised. I liked the Sub-30 using a very tall insert, as my miss with the putter tends to be more vertical than lateral. Plus the insert itself is really nice. Pulled out my NC Sub-30 this morning while messing around and really liked how smooth that insert feels. Might make its way back into the bag come springtime when the courses around here get very dry and very fast.

If you're telling me I've already got a Cleveland Classic, you're saving me money. That's now how this site normally works. :alien:

ive owned a bunch of putters, seemores, bettinardi, scotty camerons, My favorite is my NC GM xchange. I wont ever be selling it.

ive owned a bunch of putters, seemores, bettinardi, scotty camerons, My favorite is my NC GM xchange. I wont ever be selling it.

Maaaaaaaan I enjoyed the Exchange line. One of the first putters I "splurged" on.

I'm actually pretty sad about the companies end. When i was maybe 14 I brought a Never Compromise Sub 30 A-2 putter that I loved. After later falling in love with the original Ping Crazy-E I traded the NC to a buddy in High School for a lacrosse stick. He still games it and loves it, and I still wished I had never traded it. When I learned Never Compromise had moved more towards milled putters is was quite intrigued and when I started seeing them pop up on ebay for cheap I convinced a different buddy to buy one, and he loved it and I knew I needed on. I loved the Dinero Tycoon, looking down at it. So when I saw one pop up for $100 on ebay I couldn't resist. Threw a Pure Midsize grip on there. Best putter I've ever gamed. So buttery on pure rolls, and great distance control. I would highly recommend any person who has lusted over them to buy one if you can find one because they are great. The head covers blow though. Really large and poorly constructed.

Last edited:
I still have 2 of em, 1 custom and 1 at the discounted under $100 price towards the end.

The person that designed the putters is still there. In fact he has a new design rolling out later this year that THPers will have a shot at something special with.
See the THP Events calendar.

The person that designed the putters is still there. In fact he has a new design rolling out later this year that THPers will have a shot at something special with.
See the THP Events calendar.

I was going to pick up a Smart Square TFI, but this has me wondering if I should wait a while. Or, who are we kidding, buy both?

I'm actually pretty sad about the companies end. When i was maybe 14 I brought a Never Compromise Sub 30 A-2 putter that I loved. After later falling in love with the original Ping Crazy-E I traded the NC to a buddy in High School for a lacrosse stick. He still games it and loves it, and I still wished I had never traded it. When I learned Never Compromise had moved more towards milled putters is was quite intrigued and when I started seeing them pop up on ebay for cheap I convinced a different buddy to buy one, and he loved it and I knew I needed on. I loved the Dinero Tycoon, looking down at it. So when I saw one pop up for $100 on ebay I couldn't resist. Threw a Pure Midsize grip on there. Best putter I've ever gamed. So buttery on pure rolls, and great distance control. I would highly recommend any person who has lusted over them to buy one if you can find one because they are great. The head covers blow though. Really large and poorly constructed.

Loved the Tycoon and agree about the head covers.

I do like the artwork on the Sub 30 putters. eBay has them cheap but they are really banged up. Those are great prices on new ones. I think I saw Jimenez playing a NC this weekend...

My old Voo Doo Daddy seems to always crawl back in my bag and it will never leave my possession while I'm still able to play golf.

Bring back the Grey Matter!

was my first ever premium putter. The gamma

zi_gamma_putt_large.jpg

Back