What is the most difficult shot in golf?

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
I am wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the most difficult shot in golf. Is it a long par 3 tee shot? Fairway bunker? Driver of any tee? Layups on par 5? The recovery shot after a bad drive? The re-tee after an OB ball? What do you feel is your toughest shot, the shot that give you pause.

Laying up on Par 5s for me. I think because it new for me.

I'm gonna go with re-tee after OB. You already know the hole is going badly and repeating the previous shot can just ruin the score for that round.

The 1st tee at #THPMC

For me it seems to be the tee on holes that I always seem to hit bad drives on. You mentioned the re tee after an OB shot, that could very well be the toughest, so easy to step right up and hit an identical bad shot.

230 yd carry over water when you only have 200 carry in the bag......that and the half wedge approach shots/pitch shot......I have a twitchy twitch in my swing and either skull or chunk those.

The 1st tee at #THPMC

Solid option, I wasn't thinking event specific.

18 TB or Caladonia on the 2nd shot with a Cup on the line are quite the challenge also.

Downhill chip after a missed green.

to me it is a wdge shot on a wet course

Personally, fairway bunkers. Can never hit all ball and get good distance.

10y sand shot. Then fairway bunkers. The theory is simple, the execution I have issues with. That's what happens when there's 4 bunkers on my home course, all on one hole. I go weeks without being in one, then travel somewhere else and I'm lost.

The 1st tee at #THPMC

1st tee at ANY THP event, but I'm sure the #THPMC is a whole different beast.

1st Tee at Love is in The Air, and knowing if you don't beat JB you have to wear a skirt!!!!

The downhill lie. Not the below your feet one but the one thats downhill in the forward direction. Of course if mixed with the other its then even worse :)

Any putt with something on the line.

The dreaded re-tee for me, nothing worse for me than hitting a ball OB and then having to hit another right after it.

Downhill lie needing to get the ball in the air.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For me it's probably that 1st tee shot in front of a large group. Always has been.

I'm really not sure. Lately I feel I can hit the ball from anywhere in any lie, but I learned in Florida that when in real bunkers my sand game is awful. I'll say fluffy bunkers.

The NEXT shot after a shank!

I'm amazingly good at the retee.....

There are a ton that are hard for me. Immediately off the top of my head, these come to mind.
--Any tee ball that has to move left to right.
--A downhill lie in the fairway with a 3 wood in my hand.
--A ball below my feet.
--Any ball in a bunker (this is recently new for me)

any bunker shot other than a green side bunker shot, whether it be a fairway bunker 150 (or more) yards out or a 30 yarder.

It'd definitely be a specialty shot or a shot that I never get a chance to practice. I try to avoid putting myself into situations I don't practice to combat this.

On shots that one might routinely encounter on the course, some tough ones are:
- Fairway bunker with the ball lower than my feet (i.e. I'm standing on the lip of the bunker)
- Needing to hit it right with the ball on a mound > 6 inches above my feet
- Downhill lies (a hill where the elevation is higher behind me than in front) when I need to elevate the ball and hit it a long ways

On just straight out routine shots from a good lie:
- The 200 yard par 3 into a guarded green. I'm going to end up in one of those traps unless I flub it completely and end up 40 yards short.
- 150+ yard forced carry shot from the deck over water. That water seems like a magnet for my ball.

Back