"No thanks, I'm a Taylormade guy..."

JDax

The Finley Cooler
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 12.1
I work once a week in the Golf Department at Dick's. Tonight, I had something happen that I found strange. I had a customer come in to hit and compare the M1 and the R15. He hit both about the same, although not extremely well. He also complained about the unique sound of the M1. I asked if he wanted the hit the Great Big Bertha while he was at it, he just responded, "No thanks, I'm a Taylormade guy..."

I'm all for brand loyalty (look at my signature), but I'm not so loyal that I wouldn't even demo other brands of clubs that aren't my normal brand. How many THP'er are "No thanks, I'm a Brand X guy/gal"?

Dax

I don't think any THPers are this way, but I've definitely seen guys out there who are brand loyal to a fault. My brother used to be this way with Nike, now I've broken him a bit after introducing him to W/S's M3 hybrids and fairways.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• Staff
I don't think any THPers are this way, but I've definitely seen guys out there who are brand loyal to a fault. My brother used to be this way with Nike, now I've broken him a bit after introducing him to W/S's M3 hybrids and fairways.

I agree... After the guy left, I just kept thinking what if another brand driver would get him 15-20 more yards off the tee, but he would never know because his just a Taylormade guy...

Dax

I personally like having a matched set, but if I were to demo a club that I hit much better, I'd have no problem switching. Though I prefer to stay in one brand.

I chose my clubs based on brand preference and research and test hitting with irons and driver. The 3 wood, and hybrids, well I really just stayed brand on those, but I am contemplating switching out the hybrids at some point, or ditching them and just adding a 3 iron instead and adding another wedge.

Are you actually speaking for all 33,589 members of THP, or are you just making assumptions? Were you being serious?
I mean yeah, I was obviously making some assumptions. Just basing it off my experiences on here; there are definitely those with brand loyalties, but I've never encountered anyone who would only demo clubs from one brand.

Until recently, I was one of those guys. Nothing but Callaway and like hell anything but the chev was going to be tried or put in my bag. Don't get me wrong, it's still mostly Callaway but now I'm open to trying another brand whereas before i wouldn't even look at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wasn't quite this close minded, but i'll admit... i used to have some strong tendencies where i would give certain manufacturers first crack at what i was going to get.

Taylormade Drivers
Exotics woods
Mizuno/Cleveland Irons
Cleveland Wedges

This site has opened me up to more possibilities... but looking at my sig... old habits die hard

I'm all for brand loyalty (look at my signature), but I'm not so loyal that I wouldn't even demo other brands of clubs that aren't my normal brand. How many THP'er are "No thanks, I'm a Brand X guy/gal"?

Dax

I am brand loyal to several brands and very open to trying out many different brands. I hate to admit it but I tend to stay away from a few brands like TM and Nike. I am more of an anti-brand guy with a short list of brands I will not try.

Last edited:
I'm brand loyal to Callaway, but I have a new set of Titleist irons sitting in my shop and a new Titleist driver in my bag right now that I am demo'ing before the season ends. One never knows!

I don't care if its name is Mud for as long as it gives me 15 extra yards and stays on line no matter how I hit it...

Im brand loyal to no one

I'm a bit like member Rallo....
Ping driver/woods
Taylormade rescues (if I bag them)
Mizuno irons

I'm all for trying different wedges...

I have various putters which I swap around from time to time... 2x scotties (blade and mallet), two rife blades, odyssey mallet and mid mallet, bettinardi mid mallet (arm lock), and a family member has had my mizuno blade putter for years (I don't think I'll see it again).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm brand loyal to Callaway but as bad as I am I'm sure they'd rather I try other brands! At any rate I'd most definitely demo other brands, can't understand why someone wouldn't swing a different club when it doesn't even cost them anything??!! That being said I do hate the name "Great Big Bertha". I wish they would have left that name in the archives.

I actually have a friend who is like this. Not sure if he wouldn't try something from another brand, but he's said multiple times that he'd never buy anything but taylormade. For something that he plays a couple times a year, it's probably not hurting him. Play what you want I guess, if it makes you happy then that's all that matters.

This right here is why the Club Clash will be so good, hitting balls outside and comparing results side by side. I am SIM Challenged and never in my golfing life have hit the ball good in a SIM, just a mental block or something but just awful.

Nowadays there is so much great equipment out there you can pick almost any OEM and they can fit you into sticks that will fit your game, but we all have our preferences and bias. Myself no TM, but everyone else gets a shot. No real logic to it, just don't care for the brand.

I think buying golf clubs are an emotional purchase, so I have no issue with brand loyalty at all. One thing I always find interesting however is that the people that make clubs change companies. So really, in some cases, one is merely brand loyal to a logo. The guy that made all of those TaylorMade drivers people played in the past is not with TaylorMade anymore. Guy that made those old Cleveland drivers is not with Cleveland anymore. Now it doesnt make them any better or any worse, just different and something I always find interesting.

I know a couple guys like this and have seen several at the driving range by my house. My old fitter loved those guys because he knew it was a sale when they came in for a fitting.

I think buying golf clubs are an emotional purchase, so I have no issue with brand loyalty at all. One thing I always find interesting however is that the people that make clubs change companies. So really, in some cases, one is merely brand loyal to a logo. The guy that made all of those TaylorMade drivers people played in the past is not with TaylorMade anymore. Guy that made those old Cleveland drivers is not with Cleveland anymore. Now it doesnt make them any better or any worse, just different and something I always find interesting.

IMO The average consumer doesn't really know who's behind each brand though. They see Tour Players and a logo. Although employees move around throughout the employment world. The face of the brand though doesn't change as often.

IMO The average consumer doesn't really know who's behind each brand though. They see Tour Players and a logo. Although employees move around throughout the employment world. The face of the brand though doesn't change as often.

Agree 100%. That's why I think it's really loyal to a logo rather than a brands equipment. And that's cool too.

Despite what gets put out there by some "media" golf is a subjective purchase.

Like most THPers, I am not brand loyal at all. I have a buddy that because of his success hitting the RBZ2 FW has now only those for his Driver and FW, and RBZ irons so I have seen it when it bites someone hard. He hits them pretty well so that is the bottom line as with all clubs.

Sometimes I wish I was more brand loyal, it might make the process a bit more easier. But since becoming a THPer, I've spread my wings and found most if not all brands put out a decent product that I could play. It comes down to cost, and pulling the trigger.

I know lots of people that are brand loyal and don't stray to other brands even just to try them. They like what they like and most of them have pretty darn good games, good enough to make a decision on what they like.

I like how a bag full of the same logo looks. I like buying from Callaway.

I definitely give a few select brands a stronger look every year, but I'm never blindly loyal to one brand.
Similar to blugold, I do like the way one logo looks throughout the bag.

Back