Do You Make A Good Partner?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I dont mean playing partner, because almost all #OutingApproved THPers I have encountered are great playing partners. What I am talking about is competition partner. Whatever the game me be. Alternate Shot? Shamble? Pinehurst? Whatever they throw at you.

Keep your partner up when he needs it, throttle back when its getting too crazy? Are you a good teammate and partner? And why?

I do believe this is something I'm good at regardless of the format.

I have a decent enough game and the right mentality to have fun while keeping us focused at the same time.

My favorite golfing memories are when playing in a competition and teamed with someone.....just something about it really gets me going and I have such a blast.

I believe that I'm a good partner. When Tyno and I played in alternate shot we found it better to not worry about the next shot. Play the shot in front of you. I feel my game is strong enough to help any team mate that I have. Whether it be finding the fairway or sinking a knee knocker putt.

I think I am. I try to find common ground with my partner, keep the mood up and if need be, build up my Teammate. There's no "I'm sorry" or "My bad" allowed in the cart. Golf is hard enough, and we're not Tour Pro's. When things are rolling, I'll play off of whatever and however my teammate is rolling. I'm all about keeping the momentum in our cart. If it's not there and we're struggling some, I'm looking for any way to bring it back. Positives, positives, positives! One shot at a time, that hole is done, it's in the past, let's start over here!

I truly think I am a solid partner. I try to make sure we are enjoying the round as well playing well. I try to play to my partners strengths

I've only played once in a competitive tournament golf wise, so you'll have to ask Adamw and wardy...but I think so.

I am assuming I do. Have a very good female golfer at my course that always asks me to play with her in team events. We score about the same, get along with each other well and seem to feed off of each others positive energy on the course and well played shots. I try to read my partners early in the round to see what kind of motivation I can use to bring out the best in them and maintain an encouraging attitude throughout the round even during some rough spots.

Oh hell yes, much better partner than competitor.

Definitely! Clutch putt? Drive in the fairway? Chutt one close? That is me and my game. I love being able to support my partner, really in any way I can.

I am quiet, but can be boisterous and full of laughs. Really try to take it easy on the course, since we are all out there for fun to begin with. But competition really gets me going! I give my all, to the point of not being able to stand sometimes. All for the sake of the team.

I think I am. Coming with always having a good time, I can be counted on when I am needed and know how to keep it relaxed so me and the partner can play better and keep our emotions in check

Oh hell yes, much better partner than competitor.

You're the best partner I've ever had. I'd tee it up with you anywhere anytime and face just about anyone! Me on the other hand I think I make a good partner but I need to work on some stuff to become better!

Not one bit lol.

Id like to hope i am and have been. Ive had the distinction of being paired with some awesome partners in events. Sometimes we won, sometimes we didnt but id like to hope that we had a good time no matter what.

I think I am but I also think it depends on personalities. Overall in competition I keep my emotion pretty level. I dont think I would be a great partner for someone who might be a bit of a hot head and would need help calming down but also don't feel I would do anything to knock my partner off their game.

I can only hope so. I'd like to think I am. I try to keep the team in the moment. Focused on the goal as a team, and keep the fun rolling as well.

I certainly hope so. I'm usually even keeled during the course of a round so that translates to playing with most personalty types. In a team match I try to stay positive and keep it fun.

I think so. We sometimes play in partner formats, and we usually end up winning.

There's a balance between intervening and letting things as they are. The hardest part of this kind of format is when my partner is faltering and I have to pick up my game a bit to make up for it. It's fun because I don't have to be dialed in all 18 holes, and someone else can help out if I'm in a funk.

I think so. But I don't know for sure. I try to be positive all the time, which I hope is infectious.

I will let Adwillingham, v.man, Hawk and HBirdman80 answer - they would have a better idea.

I've never played in a team event but I would like to think I would be a great partner. I've grown up playing team sports my entire life and think I would be good at motivating my partner when they need it and be able to help them when the time comes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're the best partner I've ever had. I'd tee it up with you anywhere anytime and face just about anyone! Me on the other hand I think I make a good partner but I need to work on some stuff to become better!

I'd be your wingman any time dude, you are great, believe it!

I certainly hope so. I'm usually even keeled during the course of a round so that translates to playing with most personalty types. In a team match I try to stay positive and keep it fun.

You certainly are Barry, you're a great partner.

I think so. I can make some mistakes like anyone else, but they don't define me or my team mate. We have our share of fun regardless of format.

JM

I think I am. I played in our men's league the past few years with my brother in law who is a super long hitting, and a decent putter, but lacks GIR and short game. I help in the area's where I'm the best of the two of us, approach shots, short game and putting and he gets us out there and normally in play off the tee on the long holes, so we are able to score very well as a team.

Same can be said in skins. We do ABCD so we have all handicaps in each group and even the high cap guys for the most part are good at something and seem to come through when the rest of us blow it. I tend to be a cheerleader type and never let anyone get too high when it is going great or too low when it is bad, which is the way I play. You often have to remind the club throwers that they can do NOTHING about the shot they just hit, but can do anything with the next one. I also don't allow negative thoughts. You never tell yourself not to hit it OB, you tell yourself to hit the FW! Plain and simple.

I hope I have been a good partner on the human level. But the unfortunate truth is maybe 70% of my team competition rounds have been substandard. I'm really unhappy about that but it's the truth. So if it's a competition and we're trying to win I guess I have to say I have not been a great partner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. I'm pretty level and don't get too high or too low. An even-keeled partner is always best in competition, in MY opinion.

Back