Hunter Mahan Wins with new PING Nome Putter

GolferGal

Chick Norris
Boss Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
Hunter Mahan agreed with the assessment of his caddie, John Wood, who felt it was the best Mahan has ever played over an entire tournament. His opponents would have a hard time arguing. Mahan won the prestigious WGC-Accenture Match Play Championship with a 2&1 victory in the finals at the 7,833-yard Ritz-Carlton Golf Club outside Tucson, Ariz. Three of the four top finishers were PING pros, as Mark Wilson defeated Lee Westwood in the consolation match, 1 up.

Mahan never trailed in the finals, where he made seven of his 35 birdies for the week. Starting with the 6th, he won four out of five holes to build a 4-up lead after 10. The performance was typical of his dominating week -- he went his last 74 holes without falling behind in a match. He was consistently superb on the greens, and in interviews he repeatedly gave credit to the new mallet-style Nome. On Monday of the Match Play, an alignment session on the putting green using a laser device showed he was aiming left of the hole. With the face-balanced Nome, he aimed squarely at the hole and made putts. After a nine-hole practice round, the Nome went in his bag.

“I made a putter switch to the PING Nome and it felt great on the greens immediately,” Mahan said of his fourth career win, which elevated him to a career-best 9th in the Official World Golf Ranking. “This win gives me a lot of confidence. That’s how you separate the great players from everyone else – with wins – especially at the big events, and it doesn’t get much bigger than this, except the majors. So this is really special.”

In addition to the Nome putter, Mahan carried a G20 driver (9.5º), G20 3-wood (15º), i15 hybrid (17º), S56 irons, and Anser forged wedges (56º, 60º).

i-cSGb7sZ-L.jpg
i-JBhfLZj-L.jpg

i-Nc9PJsm-L.jpg

golfergal, tell me this is going to be at the outing. :cake:

That is a good looking putter!

god I hope so. If it feels similar to the Sydney it could easily be a winner.

Wow, that is one gorgeous mallet. Love it.

Not the putter for me, but a great win for them and Hunter.

Its a great looking putter that's for sure

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Pretty nice looking flatstick. A different look, that's for sure. Much better than the CRAZ-E or whatever they called that thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

god I hope so. If it feels similar to the Sydney it could easily be a winner.

Agreed. I was rolling a used Sydney this weekend and thought this very thing about the Nome.

Not a big fan of mallets, but when the commentator was talking on TV about how Mahan found out he was aiming way left with his blade and then switched to a mallet and his alignment was spot on made me reconsider, I might have to try one out. This is definitely a sharp looking putter, I really like the alignment.

Good looking putter for sure, looks a little dartish but I'd give her a roll to be sure.

It is supposed to be coming out in April so I will definitely request to have it at the outing.

EDIT: Request just sent. :smile:

Respect!! Thank you mucho!

That's definitely a putter I could get used to looking at. Much better looking than the sydney. Can't wait to roll it at some point.

@pingtour Nome putter is very nice, Hunter made 35 bird with it in 96 holes

@pingtour Nome putter is very nice, Hunter made 35 bird with it in 96 holes

Thats what impressed me was he birdied one out of every three holes he played over the course of 5 days...pretty impressive run for sure!

Talk about getting good press for a new release. Not sure Ping could have planned it better if they tried.

I second this! GG, thanks for sending the request to Ping!

I normally don't like mallets, but this is a beauty. And boy oh boy does it work. I want to drop bombs like Hunter.

I'd have to see it in person but I'm not digging the initial looks of it

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

Thanks! I have been missing the WITB tour edition on Monday mornings!

Mahan was lights out with this putter in his win. I can't wait to check this thing out!

It appeals to me. Literally. Not like Donald Trump. I would try that putter and probably like it.

Kevin

Back