Tour Edge Exotics XCG6 Driver Preview

Hotled and Tadashi: I agree that the adjustment capability is nothing special. It's going to have the standard "closed adds loft, open reduces loft" problems. Nike and Cobra's systems are clearly superior for adjustments and that's why they're my top 2 things to hit this year.

I hit this driver with the Matrix shaft the other day at PGA SS and was really impressed. It had a nice, softer feel and wasn't extremely loud like my R11s. The numbers were pretty good on the LM as well. It launched the ball fairly high and I picked up a ball speed increase over every other driver I hit in there (Anser, Razr fit, RBZ, Classic). The adjustability isn't the greatest out there, but overall it worked well for me. I can't wait to hit it again at demo day next May.

I hit this driver with the Matrix shaft the other day at PGA SS and was really impressed. It had a nice, softer feel and wasn't extremely loud like my R11s. The numbers were pretty good on the LM as well. It launched the ball fairly high and I picked up a ball speed increase over every other driver I hit in there (Anser, Razr fit, RBZ, Classic). The adjustability isn't the greatest out there, but overall it worked well for me. I can't wait to hit it again at demo day next May.

More ball speed, huh? That's interesting to hear. Thanks for the input.

I hit this thing terribly at the PGA Superstore, to the point where I was losing noticeable difference between that and other clubs. With that said, I really enjoyed watching that Staples fella hit it. Quite the swing if I do say so myself.. Glad to see you pulled the trigger on the fairway wood dude!

How did it setup? Was it square, open or closed?

I hit this thing terribly at the PGA Superstore, to the point where I was losing noticeable difference between that and other clubs. With that said, I really enjoyed watching that Staples fella hit it. Quite the swing if I do say so myself.. Glad to see you pulled the trigger on the fairway wood dude!

Thanks bro. You mean you don't like spin rates around 8000 rpm's with your driver? The fw is a freaking cannon and pretty easy to hit off the deck.

Thanks bro. You mean you don't like spin rates around 8000 rpm's with your driver? The fw is a freaking cannon and pretty easy to hit off the deck.

haha it's amazing how much different heads and shafts impact people's games.. I was dialed it BIG time with my personal driver, and don't think that XCG could have been worse. Boggles my mind, really.

I am disappointed I didn't hit the fairway while I was there as well. I sure wish you'd have encouraged that instead hahaha! Did you hit it a few times at True Blue?

haha it's amazing how much different heads and shafts impact people's games.. I was dialed it BIG time with my personal driver, and don't think that XCG could have been worse. Boggles my mind, really.

I am disappointed I didn't hit the fairway while I was there as well. I sure wish you'd have encouraged that instead hahaha! Did you hit it a few times at True Blue?

Yeah, I hit a few tee shots with it there and a couple at Myrtlewood. I think out of the 5 times I hit it off the tee, 4 were in the fairway. The other one was topped and ended up in a bush, but we don't have to talk about that one, haha. I took it to the range today and hit a few balls with it and had no issue launching it off the deck.

I love their fairway woods and have every loft available in the CB4 tour that I change out depending on the course. I can hit them a mile. However, I've never liked any of their drivers. They all seem dead to me when I hit them. There doesn't seem to be any explosiveness and I don't really get any distance. I was especially discouraged by the XCG5. Closest one I would ever considering gaming would be the XCG4 but even that is a long shot.

Very nice Driver, I will have to demo it soon. I have not seen the prices for this new one yet.

Very solid looking driver

I love their fairway woods and have every loft available in the CB4 tour that I change out depending on the course. I can hit them a mile. However, I've never liked any of their drivers. They all seem dead to me when I hit them. There doesn't seem to be any explosiveness and I don't really get any distance. I was especially discouraged by the XCG5. Closest one I would ever considering gaming would be the XCG4 but even that is a long shot.

I love Tour Edge's fairways as well and have been mixed on the drivers. I really didn't like the XCG5 (driver or fairway) at all. I think it was just too shallow.

Staples: Thanks for the review. Do you think you might get one of these? The XCG6 is the third driver on my "to try" list this year with the Covert and Amp Cell.

I'm surprised you didn't walk out of the store with this one in hand. you def. crushed this one Staples. Your fairway is a beast you could save a spot in your bag with the distance you were getting with the 3W.

I have to say that vid in JB's first post looks like a late night infomercial that will rival the hammer.

I will demo the club however.

I hit this club today and it impressed the crap out of me. I will preface this by saying that I LOVE my Razr Fit and it performs so well for me with my Tour AD EV shaft in it; lots of carry and accuracy to boot. I am dialed in with this thing.

The XCG6 with the stock made-for Ozik HD6.1 outperformed it handily, and looked and sounded better while doing it. I will let the numbers do the talking...these are all averages of about 7 swings with each.

Razr Fit 9.5 -> Tour AD-EV 6s ->Optifit hosel set to 'C'.
Distance - 269
Carry - 259
Run - 10
Club Speed - 112
Ball Speed - 154
Launch Angle - 12.7
Backspin - 3050
Attack angle - +1
Dispersion - 10 yards
Smash Factor - 1.38

Tour Edge Exotics XCG6 10.5 Ozik 6.1 Stiff
Distance - 285
Carry - 268
Run - 17
Club Speed - 108
Ball Speed - 150
Launch Angle - 11.7
Backspin - 2200
Attack Angle - +3
Dispersion - 11 yards
Smash Factor - 1.38

I realize the roll-out may differ if real-world application but I was getting more carry with less spin and club head speed. The club looks and sounds deadly too, and the price point is hard to beat.
It may not work for everyone, but people should really give this club a try.

Does anyone know if any retailers offer this with a choice of custom shafts and at what cost?

Both GS and PGASS have them, but would have to go in to get pricing on shaft upgrades. Hit them at the local GS demo day yesterday, liked the 3W and it's low spin.

By summer I will have the driver and a fw in my bag. It is an absolute travesty that I have overlooked this club for so long.

I hit XCG-6 at a demo day on Friday & fell in love.

After hitting almost all the OEM offerings at the demo day, i had pretty much made the decision to go with the new W/S D-100. I was hitting it LONG & straight, but every now & then I'd lose one way left & I can't stand doing that on the course.

Stopped by the Tour Edge booth on a whim because there was no waiting & picked up a 10.5* XCG-6 with a stiff Graphite Design Tour AD 40 in it. I didn't like the look of the orange & white shaft with the black head, but it felt very balanced when I took a couple of practice swings. Not too heavy & not too light.

1st ball- holy crap... Did I just hit that shot?? It was a long mid-high draw that hit the ground & took off running.
2nd ball- ditto
3rd ball - again? No freakin way.

About that time I hear my friend Ronnie say, "Damn Shakey, did you just hit a draw with that club?"

I continued to hit a lot more balls with great results, so I took a break from it & walked away with the intent of coming back later to see if I could duplicate the results. When I did come back after hitting several brands of irons (I liked the Adams CB3s the best BTW), I went back to the Tour Edge booth & this time talked to the rep.

After talking about my swing & shot preferences, he suggested a 12* combined with a stiff Matrix Ozik HD6.1 shaft. He recommended the 12* because most people have trouble getting a high enough launch angle with the Matrix shaft combined with the low spin head. I managed to talk him into the 10.5* head because I have no trouble at all getting it up.

From the first swing I knew I had a winner with this combo too. Swing after swing produced the mid flight baby fade that I love to play because it takes the left side totally out of play. And the best thing about it was that it gave a lot more run out than I get out of my Classic 270 gamer.

So now I have a big decision to make. Do I get the GD AD Tour 40 & start trying to play a draw or get the matrix Ozik HD6.1 & keep playing the fade? Either way I have to wait to hear back from Cleveland. I sent in my driver 2 weeks ago for them to replace the badge that popped out off the bottom.

Either way, the XCG-6 will be in my bag soon.

Yes! My thoughts were the same as yours. After 5 swings I could have been convinced that those shots weren't actually hit by me. This club is a demon.
Definitely have to add loft from whatever you are used to to get the launch angle up with the Ozik. It kind of reminds me of last years Classic but with a better look, sound, and feel.

Yes! My thoughts were the same as yours. After 5 swings I could have been convinced that those shots weren't actually hit by me. This club is a demon.
Definitely have to add loft from whatever you are used to to get the launch angle up with the Ozik. It kind of reminds me of last years Classic but with a better look, sound, and feel.
Did you have a chance to hit it with the GD Tour AD 40?

I bit the bullet & bought a very lightly used one on ebay today. Hope to have it by this weekend.

I decided to get a 10.5* in the Ozik shaft & keep playing a reliable fade rather than give in to the temptation to go with the lighter GD Tour AD 40 & try to tame the sexy draw. I may try to find one of the GD shafts on ebay to throw in for scrambles & wide open courses.

Here's to hoping the demo day magic lives in the new club!

Back