Limited Edition Putters

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Speaking to a friend of mine about putters and how he has used the same putter for 12 years. Its a plain old putter and he hates the finish on it, but loves the style. So I asked him why not buy one that is the same style and get some form of private reserve or something along the lines and his response was "Its just not for me".

If you loved a certain style and the manufacturer made reserve editions of the putter you liked, and knew you were not changing styles any time soon, would you consider it?

What makes you jump on the reserve versions of flat sticks?

No. I don't have a real reason either. Its a tool that I'm going to use. If its limited edition then I'm having to pay a premium on top of the normal price. No reason for that. Limited edition and reserve models, in my mind, are more for the collector market and not for gaming.

I'm still waiting to fall in live with a certain style. Once that happens, if ever, I would definitely jump on a reserve putter. Putter preference is such a personal thing, I feel that a reserve putter adds even more of a personal touch.

I switch putters often. As the wind blows almost. I have a few private reserve options as well. If a company made me fall in love and only use one for 12 years, I would start watching for the four horsemen

Speaking to a friend of mine about putters and how he has used the same putter for 12 years. Its a plain old putter and he hates the finish on it, but loves the style. So I asked him why not buy one that is the same style and get some form of private reserve or something along the lines and his response was "Its just not for me".

If you loved a certain style and the manufacturer made reserve editions of the putter you liked, and knew you were not changing styles any time soon, would you consider it?

What makes you jump on the reserve versions of flat sticks?

Yes, as I did that this past year going from the SeeMore si2 to the m7 to the m7 Private Reserve. I buy into what works, and for this year, it worked wonderfully for me.

Whether I stick with it for an extended period of time remains to be seen, but it will be my anchor putter until I find something that improves my numbers. Why not invest in what works by getting a more attractive, better made putter -- Something unique that is limited that you can call your own?

i dunno limited edition putters are usually pretty pricey... :alien:

that is exactly what i did with my custom betti i got a full putter fitting and i got specs that work really well for me and although it was a gamble with how much it was its paying off great now i'm rolling it really well and i have all winter to dial it in even more working on my mechanics with it.

I've never really been a collector of anything.

I do enjoy looking at the really nice different finishes out there, but doubt I'll ever even consider picking one up, even if it does happen to be a model I've used for 10+ years.

I'm not a putter collector by any means, but I've definitely grown to love the Odyssey #7 shape. It started with messing around with them in golf shops, but got to the point that I knew I wanted one. When the U.S. Open Limited Edition Versa model came out last summer, it just spoke to me and I pulled the trigger. Now I'm really happy that I did. First and foremost, I love the performance. Secondly, I've yet to run into anyone else with the same putter (only 250 made and I got #250) and I really like that. If additional #7 limited editions come out, I'll be very tempted to jump on those as well.

I'm not a putter collector and even if I had the means to be one I still wouldn't be. As for buying limited edition putters, I can't see it happening. I paid nearly nz$500 for my SC and I will use it til it dies. If I ever grow tired of it I'm not hung up on the model and style and would consider all options.

I'm all for it. I often buy limited edition things (just look at my collection of staff bags) and I like to use them as if they were something cheap off the rack. I haven't made a move to a See More (haven't had the opportunity to really try any out.) But as my collection grows, I am considering more and more.

And the more someone doesn't have what I have, the more I like it.

Lol, I am really bad. If it says limited edition on it I feel like I have to have it.

Keep Calm and Golf On.

Since I haven't really fallen for a specific head shape, no, I wouldn't consider getting a LE putter unless I just had the feeling that I absolutely HAD to have it...and I just haven't seen a putter that has made me say that yet. Price also comes into play for me as well, as I just don't have a lot to spend on a putter purchase.

If I loved that model, and knew I wasn't planning on changing any time soon, I would totally try and see about getting a limited or reserve edition. I would game the heck out of it too. I'm not one to collect for the sake of collecting.

I feel like it's just that much more special to have a special edition , especially if it's a club you already know you like. Sometimes it's color scheme or theme that would make me want to. It has to be something that touches me somehow to have a special connection with the club.

I'd consider it if I was looking for a new putter, but honestly I'm not really too concerned with putter looks beyond the shape really, as long as it's not too beat up or something. I'm also pretty cheap, so I don't think I'd want to pay an upcharge vs. the standard model for purely cosmetic differences.

I won't do it. I like having and trying various putters, but the LE or PR models do nothing special for me personally.

I had trouble convincing myself to spend $180 on a putter, there is no way I am going to spend in the $300's for a LE or "special" putter.

If it is an exact replica of the putter I had been using for 12 years down to the material used, finish, etc., then I would not pony up the additional $ for a LE / PR of that putter. If it were an upgraded model of that putter in regards to milled vs. cast, nicer finish, etc., then I certainly would if I loved the head shape and feel of the putter that much. This coming from a guy that just forked over $450 for a putter which is something I thought I would never do.

I won't do it. I like having and trying various putters, but the LE or PR models do nothing special for me personally.

This is me as well since I've more less stopped collecting. I found out long ago that the ball could care less about the price of the putter and I putt just as well with inexpensive putters as I do with higher end versions.

IMO Limited Edition/Private Reserve putters are for collectors. I've played my current putter for 2 years after gaming the same Scotty for about 10. I see no reason to spend 2-4 times more for a putter that is not functionally any better than my current version.

I would love to have one but don't think I could spend the coin. I know Scameron offers the GoLo N5 but every time I'm faced with spending a couple hundred (or more) on golf equipment I always choose to either buy something new, try a different shaft, or just buy apparel instead of customizing or getting a limited edition putter. Maybe one day but not right now.

Maybe, but only if my putting style were to fit a more traditional or even pleasant looking style of putter, and I was confident it wasn't changing. Since right now I'm liking the results I get from a center-shafted blade, I accept the idea that I don't need to care how ugly it is, because it's pretty functional. If my putting style were more inclined to, say, a #9 or #6 putter, and there was a limited edition that I could game, and it was exactly what I was looking for, finish and all....I might consider dropping the coin. Then again, I'm a combination of hard on clubs and unlucky with them, so that might dissuade me.

I think putters are gorgeous, I love them, its an addiction and something that makes me incredibly happy. There are much worse things to do than to collect and enjoy putters, its something that I will always do.

I completely understand why some shy away from LE and custom putters from a price-tag standpoint though, it just doesn't stop me LOL

Im not a collector by any stretch. If I were to find a LE or a PR that felt better than my current flat stick then I would purchase it, and game it. It's the one club my bag that I have that connection with, and I don't normally switch around after it's earned its spot, so paying a higher price wouldn't be so bad. But I do have limits lol.

If Callaway offered a limited edition Versa #1 Wide, I'd buy it. Same holds true for my M5 by SeeMore. So yes I would.

the fact that it's a limited edition means you will be one of few that has the putter.

The old Duey would go limited, or more correctly special and one of a kind if the head shape and style I like, but the more fiscally responsible guy still might, just not often.

Back