How Old Are Your Clubs?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
My irons are around 5-6 years old now but are still going strong. The newest club in my bag is the Mashie.

I keep going on about wanting the Nike Combo set but at the moment I really don't see or feel the need to replace my irons

• Admin
Did you watch the video Mike?

Wow. Every three years? I'd never have the patience to wait that long! Good points in the video, especially concerning driver shaft technology.

The oldest clubs in my bag are my 5 and 7 woods. They are two months old.

driver- 2010-2011
fw- 2010-2011
hybrid 2010-2011
irons- 2008
wedges- 2009
putter- old!!

wedges im not worried about as i want old grooves, irons really havent changed much in my .02 over the last couple years.. and everything else is .. i good for a little while

Did you watch the video Mike?

Yes, and I still stand by what I said, what works for me doesn't necessarily work for others.

When I was a teenager I used to replace my clubs far too frequently, I had to have the latest and greatest etc etc

Now as I am older and have family to take care of priorities change so replacing clubs every year is not practable for me.

Don't get me wrong I would LOVE a new set of irons but my current irons are fine and I hit them just fine

Woods/hybrids - 3-4 months
Irons/wedges - 1 year
Putter - about 6 months

i keep upgrading everything else, and leaving the putter old and shaggy!!

im inbetween a custom nc, or a fully custom ssb built to everything i want on it (firefighter theme)

but putter is next, then a new stand bag

I just see the video as an extension of the current marketing scheme(s) used by all the OEM's. For a huge number of people, the latest & greatest clubs will not result in better scores on the course. They may feel better about their games because they are using the latest technology, but they will find out that it did not make a major change on their scores.

This may not be true of everyone, but the biggest gains in bringing down scores on the course, can be made with lessons and working with a professional along with hard work and practice. New clubs in many hands will yield the same results as the older clubs that were replaced.

I just see the video as an extension of the current marketing scheme(s) used by all the OEM's. For a huge number of people, the latest & greatest clubs will not result in better scores on the course. They may feel better about their games because they are using the latest technology, but they will find out that it did not make a major change on their scores.

This may not be true of everyone, but the biggest gains in bringing down scores on the course, can be made with lessons and working with a professional along with hard work and practice. New clubs in many hands will yield the same results as the older clubs that were replaced.
Some of what you say is true. But for some of us we like new stuff. In my case golf is my thing. I don't have a boat. I don't hunt, fish, etc. My driver is brand new (courtesy of THP and Nicklaus Golf). My wedges are brand new. My putter is brand new. My new irons and hybrids arrive tomorrow. My woods are about eight weeks old. None of this has anything to do with OEM Marketing. I could care less what the pros play (see my thread on OEM Marketing). I like fooling around with new golf equipment.

I'm not totally sold on this, but that might be because unlike most amateurs, I'm actually pretty aware of what's out there and the technological advances on offer.

There's a fair point in the video. I guess the majority of amateur golfers could use a little education on what they might be missing.

Some of what you say is true. But for some of us we like new stuff. In my case golf is my thing. I don't have a boat. I don't hunt, fish, etc. My driver is brand new (courtesy of THP and Nicklaus Golf). My wedges are brand new. My putter is brand new. My new irons and hybrids arrive tomorrow. My woods are about eight weeks old. None of this has anything to do with OEM Marketing. I could care less what the pros play (see my thread on OEM Marketing). I like fooling around with new golf equipment.

I fully understand what you are saying and see nothing wrong with it. I have said many times that I will be the last person to ever tell someone how to spend their money.

However, you have to admit that the OEM's marketing scheme's, lead many to believe that they can buy a better game, and that simply isn't true for so many people.

I would like to add that even though my irons are older than most people's they still use the same shafts, grips etc.

My shafts are TTDG S300 that a lot of people on here use. Grips are NDMC

Just because my equipment is a few years old doesn't make it wrong for me to keep using it. I will continue to use it until I can afford to replace them

I am not arguing that new technologies wouldn't help out but I don't think it's the be all and end all that companies make it out to be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk because I am away from my Mac

I would like to add that even though my irons are older than most people's they still use the same shafts, grips etc.

My shafts are TTDG S300 that a lot of people on here use. Grips are NDMC

Just because my equipment is a few years old doesn't make it wrong for me to keep using it. I will continue to use it until I can afford to replace them

I am not arguing that new technologies wouldn't help out but I don't think it's the be all and end all

I agree Mike.

I think mine are a couple months old? I can't remember that far back :banghead:

None of my stuff is very new, but it all works fine so I won't be changing anytime soon. Unless the new stuff is free, I just don't have the money to be spending on new golf equipment. No more than what I play, it isn't going to help me that much anyway. I would rather be comfortable with what I have when I do play rather than struggling to figure out new clubs every 3 or 4 years. If I had the money and time I might be more up to date, but in my current situation, that money and time is best spent elsewhere.

Driver - 8 years
3-wood - 15+
Hybrid - 4
irons - 4
wedges - 5 to 6 I think
putter one is about 5, the other is pushing 20

With the driver and 3-wood, I haven't ever found anything that I can hit better or more consistently than what I have. I don't have the money to spend $400+ for a new driver that might get me a whole 10 extra yards. There is probalby some sort of shaft/head combo that could make it worthwhile, but all that does is jack up the price even more to get some exotic shaft that costs as much as the head. The 3-wood I'll use until I'm dead or it breaks, whichever comes first.

I have a few clubs that are over 3 years old, but I hit them very well. The clubs are my woods, Tour Edge Exotics and they are still very hot and I love hitting them. Also my hybrids are exactly 3 years old and I will probably begin looking to replace them withing the next few months. My sandwedge is getting close to 2 years old, but I like it so much I have a brand new one ready to game when I get ready to replace it. I believe people who were fitted for their clubs and also their golf ball are not the people in the 70% the pros are refering to in the video.

Hmm.....neat video. My oldest club is my 3wood. She's a keeper though.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

I would guess most people on this site are fairly updated on what they need to perform to their best, most of us are a bit more interested in equipment and shaft technology than the average weekend golfer, and most of us will land in the 30% that does not need to change equipment. But the average weekend golfer I think would have room for improvement if they would take a look at some of the new technology.

I would guess most people on this site are fairly updated on what they need to perform to their best, most of us are a bit more interested in equipment and shaft technology than the average weekend golfer, and most of us will land in the 30% that does not need to change equipment. But the average weekend golfer I think would have room for improvement if they would take a look at some of the new technology.

On the flip side the average weekend golfer is not going to want to be replacing equipment every time something new comes along.

Things change and improve all the time and unless you have money to burn you are not going to be able to keep up

I fully understand what you are saying and see nothing wrong with it. I have said many times that I will be the last person to ever tell someone how to spend their money.

However, you have to admit that the OEM's marketing scheme's, lead many to believe that they can buy a better game, and that simply isn't true for so many people.
I agree 100% Hoosier. They wouldn't gear their marketing that way if it didn't work.

Irons are 3 months old Thanks to THP and Wilson Staff, I've upgraded all my other clubs to go with them in the last month. If I hadn't gotten the irons to test though, I probably would still be playing my old pings. For me spending money on lessons would be a much bigger help than spending it on new clubs. Can't see how a new club is going to fix a flawed swing

The video suggest a set analysis every 3 years. It doesnt say that you will have to change clubs. It's just like a tune -up for your car.

I think as long as you have a set of irons that work for you and you get them looked at every year you could use them for a very long time. I tend to like to replace my driver every 3 years.I' On the other hand, I've replaced some wedges almost every year or every other year.

Back