Phil is adding a new club to his bag

Mardin

Reaction score
255 off the tee lol. I'm jealous :)

Phil is silly long I'd like to see him win the US OPEN!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

250 that is sick

I wonder how strong he has that bent though. I've heard his clubs are usually bent 2-3 degrees strong. I know he is not the only pro that does that, but it makes me feel a little better about my distances knowing that I hit standard loft instead of having them bent strong. I could hit my 7 iron as far as my 5 iron if I had it bent enough. Not trying to bash on phil, I love the guy. Some distances of any pro golfer can just be deceiving sometimes.

255. I have hit mine that distance many times, and it is old! I typically hit 230 with my VAS.

I hope he does well with it. Phil winning the U.S. Open would be such a good thing.

I wonder how strong he has that bent though. I've heard his clubs are usually bent 2-3 degrees strong. I know he is not the only pro that does that, but it makes me feel a little better about my distances knowing that I hit standard loft instead of having them bent strong. I could hit my 7 iron as far as my 5 iron if I had it bent enough. Not trying to bash on phil, I love the guy. Some distances of any pro golfer can just be deceiving sometimes.

That wouldn't surprise me at all.. Didn't he have one of his drivers bent down to like.. 6.2 degrees at one point?

Gary Woodland plays a 2I Cavity Back as well, not sure how often though. No matter how much they are bent, that is old school. I dig it.

So it is bent and is really a one iron. Remember what Lee Trevino says, "not even God can hit a one iron"

Call me ignorant but in today's day I done see the benefit of hitting a 2-iron vs. a hybris that wold fill that gap. For him maybe it's a 19* or something. More power to him if he can hit a 2 iron better than a 19* hybrid.

255????? I'm happy when my driver is 250-260!!!!

My guess is that he wants to play it lower than a hybrid. He does hit all his clubs very high.

Just the fact that he can hit a 2i well enough to kick another club out of his bag is impressive. Phil must have a plan, so this will be fun to watch.

Just the fact that he can hit a 2i well enough to kick another club out of his bag is impressive. Phil must have a plan, so this will be fun to watch.

I'm very excited to see how this plays out. Him and DJ are my favorite golfers, so I'd love to see Phil win the US Open!

I agree, if he can hit the 2 iron better than a hybrid, go for it. I think it is pretty cool actually. I love the way these guys mess with their sets to fit a certain course or conditions. Oh how nice it would be to be sponsored and have access to all of the equipment.

Somebody please send Phil the M3 Mashie Tour 83 x-stiff, end of story.

Interesting but I wonder why he won't just play a 2 hybrid?
Somebody please send Phil the M3 Mashie Tour 83 x-stiff, end of story.
I played with a guy hitting a 2i last week and it was a whole different trajectory, more like an arrow, less like a mortar. He said he wants to use it off the tee so this is gonna be cool, especially if it means more fw's.

If he hits it straight then he has a good chance on a US Open course with those yardages

It doesn't say what club is being removed to make room though

i'd love to see his bag set up with the 2i. whats he taking out maybe the second driver or a wedge

Call me ignorant but in today's day I done see the benefit of hitting a 2-iron vs. a hybris that wold fill that gap. For him maybe it's a 19* or something. More power to him if he can hit a 2 iron better than a 19* hybrid.

If I had to guess, I would think he is looking for a piercing ball flight rather than a high ball from a hybrid. I thought he did something like this years back with some success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Umm, Phil has a track record of adding this club to his bag. If you think his 255 is nasty with a 2 iron, check this out:

it would definitely be the story of the year if he did....love when Phil tinkers with his club lineup

I hope he does well with it. Phil winning the U.S. Open would be such a good thing.

Back