The Longest Fairway Wood?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Recently THP conducted a launch monitor testing with 17 regular golfers they found at the range. Each golfer had their numbers recorded with the Vector X launch monitor and this was the result of what took place.

http://thehackersparadise.com/?p=13755

Can't say I'm surprised - sold my cleveland hibore 3 wood and regret it every time I play - I'm 3 fairway woods removed and still looking... I should just go back to cleveland !

Never seen that advertised, but it doesn't surprise me. I'm gaming the DST Launcher and I've hit a few bombs with and that doesn't come with a miyazaki shaft. Good on THP to come out with some solid unbiased feedback!

Excellent article, I really like these comparisons with numbers to back them up. Nice write up by Ryan.

Quite surprised to see just how one-sided the results were though. I didn't doubt the claims coming from Cleveland, but changing out 3 woods can be a risky business, and to see 16 out of 17 willing to switch - wow.

Sounds about right, I love my Cleveland Hi Bore 3&5

Interesting. I have never hit a Cleveland fairway wood. Looks like I need to.

• Admin
Excellent article, I really like these comparisons with numbers to back them up. Nice write up by Ryan.

Quite surprised to see just how one-sided the results were though. I didn't doubt the claims coming from Cleveland, but changing out 3 woods can be a risky business, and to see 16 out of 17 willing to switch - wow.

The average distance gain being as big as it was what was surprising to me. But to be fair, here is what we saw.
More than distance was a shot dispersion that was far superior, especially in the golfers that were over 8 handicap. This led to much of the increase as the ball flew straighter.
In the lower handicaps, the distance was still an increase, but not as big as we saw from the "mids".
Not a single person in our test played an aftermarket shaft in their FW woods.
Yet most preferred the feel of the Miyazaki to their own (that was staggering).

Very interesting. I've never even hit one of these yet. I've looked but can't seem to find one in my dexterity. I've seen OEM Kevin smack one though! It's nice to see Cleveland starting to advertise the distance they're seeing. It's the only way they'll steal any sort of thunder from the company making white golf clubs.

The average distance gain being as big as it was what was surprising to me. But to be fair, here is what we saw.
More than distance was a shot dispersion that was far superior, especially in the golfers that were over 8 handicap. This led to much of the increase as the ball flew straighter.
In the lower handicaps, the distance was still an increase, but not as big as we saw from the "mids".
Not a single person in our test played an aftermarket shaft in their FW woods.

Rarely do you find anyone that does. I had a Cleveland Launcher with the fit on Red shaft and I hated that thing. I'm sure it was completely shaft related though.

Very nice JB. I love seeing the head to head testing. I've always thought Cleveland was a super OEM and it looks like they have a winner here. Time for me to demo this one for sure.

Thanks to everyone involved in the testing!

Just as I thought I had my bag set. I'm now considering a Cleveland 3w and a Mashie!

Awesome testing there Ryan. It is good to seem an OEM’s distance claims actually proven to be fact. I have played Cleveland in the past but don’t bag any now except for a 60* wedge. Looks like I need to try out Ole Gray’s or KellyBo’s fairway woods next time we play.

These are the 2 things that I noticed. I won't say surprised, because that's unfair on the standard of the club, but it definitely makes you sit up and take notice!

These are the 2 things that I noticed. I won't say surprised, because that's unfair on the standard of the club, but it definitely makes you sit up and take notice!

It did for me....

Lets just say I have a Cleveland FW Wood sitting next to me and I am going to take it to the range today to battle it out with my Callaway.

Good article JB. Makes me think about changing up my fairway woods.

Going to have to see if I can get one to demo, was going to ditch the 3w for a Mashie M1 but not I need to try the fairway wood first

It did for me....

Lets just say I have a Cleveland FW Wood sitting next to me and I am going to take it to the range today to battle it out with my Callaway.

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts (and of course hard numbers, since it's you :wink:) after that battle royale!

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts (and of course hard numbers, since it's you :wink:) after that battle royale!

Stay tuned for later this morning then...hehe

I have been going on about my Cleveland FL fairway woods for some time now. They are really really good woods. If you struggle hitting a 3 wood, be sure to try out their 17° 3 wood because it is the easiest 3 wood I've ever hit and was even longer for me than the 15° because I hit it so much better.

Great write up! Looks like the numbers speak for themselves. Cleveland is putting a bunch of outstanding and unique clubs on the market these days.

So I just spent 30 minutes or so at the range with my Callaway Diablo Octane and the Cleveland FL Launcher both in 15*.
Launch monitor numbers here.

Distance - Cleveland was longer by 4.1 yards on average
Accuracy - Cleveland was closer to straight by 1.3 yards

Now I have some decisions to make. I hit the Octane so well and really had not spent a ton of time with the Cleveland FW woods on the course. I think that might change this weekend. Hmmm.

i have to say that having tried this club at a fitting, i thought it was okay but really didnt feel comfortable with the low weight. I couldnt feel the club position in my backswing and that really affected my accuracy. I think the distance was good though. I dont think that numbers are the whole story with any club, theres always the feel aspect.

So I just spent 30 minutes or so at the range with my Callaway Diablo Octane and the Cleveland FL Launcher both in 15*.

Now I have some decisions to make. I hit the Octane so well and really had not spent a ton of time with the Cleveland FW woods on the course. I think that might change this weekend. Hmmm.

That is a tough call even with the better numbers b/c I've seen how well you hit that Octane. But, numbers don't lie :)

This was an fun article to write and I found the data to be very enlightening.

That is a tough call even with the better numbers b/c I've seen how well you hit that Octane. But, numbers don't lie :)

This was an fun article to write and I found the data to be very enlightening.

They sure dont. That is why if I hit it well on the course this weekend, a change will be made.....Damn you THP and making me ponder.

Now that is definitely worth pondering. Is there anything you still feel your Octane does better? eg is it more versatile when hitting low ones, or high ones etc? It needs to pull out some extra talent to stay in the bag!

I'm sure there was a guy on here who would say 'the numbers don't lie'. :D

Back