Anyone Use Iron Headcovers?

Couple reasons:

1. played with several people who had them and every one of them took forever to play because of the iron covers. Whether it was taking them off or putting them on or just losing them and having to go back and find them. It never failed, they'd hold up play.

2. Irons are gonna get beat up. They are designed to take the beating, I think you are just postponing the inevitable. I babied my irons when I first got them too... I wouldn't even hit out of bunkers for the first month, so I get the idea of saving them :D

Plus I like that sound of the irons clanking together, it's one of those sounds that iron covers are taking away...where will that clanking go??? The way of the metal spikes on concrete? I miss that one.

3. Ridicule factor off the charts in my group. Just not going to subject myself to that.

It's just an opinion and honestly, could care less if people use them as long as they don't hold up play. I could see using them for dust covers in storage or maybe travel.

Everything Biggsy said....PLUS

they make you look like a dork!!

:rofl:

I think this is a great thread to bring back because I've seen a LOT of discussion about the idea of using iron covers, and I really want to see why people are so strongly for or against them.

For me, it's all about that damn bag chatter. My Mizuno MP-32 blades had lots of chatter on them, and more recently, my Mizuno MP-63s have started to get noticeably more chatter... So I am personally seriously considering it for my Nike VR Pro Combo irons.

What do you think? Why or why not?

Let me start on a positive. They are your clubs and you should do what you want!
Now....iron head covers, are you serious!!! I'm kidding of course but that is sort of the reaction you may get. But then again it's your choice and if ppl make fun of you...they can just go...
I personally think it gives the club character with a few dings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do not and never would use iron covers. I do not see the point in putting them on a piece of equipment that you beat off the ground. I also would hate to have to take them off and put them on every time I used one.

No one has ever said a negitive to me about using head covers while at the course and I seriously doubt anyone ever will. Using head covers add's zero added time to your round, yes it's possible to forget one and have to go back looking for it, but thats not happened to me, although I have had plenty of people have to go back looking for their clubs. I pull mine off while walking to the ball and toss on the ground between myself and the cart, then put back on walking back to the cart. Hell I played with a guy in league last night that took so long standing over his shot before pulling the trigger that I could have changed all my head covers around and possibly cleaned each club while waiting, it was brutal.

My old Nickents have no bag chatter and I'm happy about that. When people say they like their irons all dinged up it cracks me up. I bet they love going to Wal-Mart to get their car doors dented, haha

No one has ever said a negitive to me about using head covers while at the course and I seriously doubt anyone ever will. Using head covers add's zero added time to your round, yes it's possible to forget one and have to go back looking for it, but thats not happened to me, although I have had plenty of people have to go back looking for their clubs. I pull mine off while walking to the ball and toss on the ground between myself and the cart, then put back on walking back to the cart. Hell I played with a guy in league last night that took so long standing over his shot before pulling the trigger that I could have changed all my head covers around and possibly cleaned each club while waiting, it was brutal.

My old Nickents have no bag chatter and I'm happy about that. When people say they like their irons all dinged up it cracks me up. I bet they love going to Wal-Mart to get their car doors dented, haha

Thedue,

Its opinion. Some people (myself included) would rather have dings/dents on their irons that put what I believe to be those hideous iron covers on my clubs. I thought clubmakers made the backs of clubs so nice so that when they were sitting in the bag they would look pretty for you and everyone to see, not just a bunch of silver sticks covered with black heads. So its not so much that people want to get their irons dinged up I dont think, its they would rather have them dinged up than cover them.

I dont mind people who use iron covers either, and I will agree they dont add time to a round I just personally think they look silly.

JR%20375%20Neoprene%20Iron%20Covers.jpg

6a00d8341caaef53ef0115703f0a02970b-320wi

DOUBLE UP AGREE HERE!!!

Look silly I and biggest peeve so much slower to play. More chances to loose them and just the on and off takes so much time.

I am assuming you're just being funny or whatever, but this is definitely the way some people think about those who use them, and I think it's pretty foolish.

I am on the fence, but don't care either way what people do to their clubs as long as they aren't throwing them after shots.. Seems kind of silly that people have an opinion like that about other people using them unless there's actually base to it like what Biggsy said about slow play.

Not only is it's possible, I've seen it happen. You are in the minority. EVERY single iron cover player I've played with is SLOW!!! It's not just from losing them either, it's from taking them on and off and polishing the club at every step, it's a painstakingly slow process witnessed by my own ojos.

Glad you are not one of the slow players.

I heard CG13 played like your opponent in league.

Not only is it's possible, I've seen it happen. You are in the minority. EVERY single iron cover player I've played with is SLOW!!! It's not just from losing them either, it's from taking them on and off and polishing the club at every step, it's a painstakingly slow process witnessed by my own ojos.

I can't say about CG13, but this dude had me wanting to scream. We were getting eaten alive by the mosquitos while this guy takes 10 pre-swings.

I don't go through all the cleaning other than a brush before a shot if the grooves are filled up and will admit I've played with people like that that do a complete cleaning job after every shot. I won't call myself a fast player, but I like a nice pace.

I use iron covers but it's got nothing to do with keeping my clubs in pristine condition - it's to cut down club chatter on the course. I use an electric trolley (very little golf buggy use here) and the course I play has a lot of small undulations. Tie that in with a bag that has just 7 compartments, I get a lot of chatter when going over all the bumps, and it drives me mad. The covers help to keep my sanity when playing.

As for affecting speed, I have the cover off and in my pocket as soon as the club's out of the bag, then back on as soon as the shot's hit. It has zero effect on my shot times because I've already set the trolley off and moving before I get the club back into the bag.

Each to their own I suppose.

I used to use them, but I am reconsidering to get some more. My approach with them is a little different though. They stay on until one is used and remain off until the end of the round. I look at them as protection for when they are in transport in the car, but not the cart. I also take this approach with my driver and fairway. I can't just see myself taking them off for no more than a few seconds only to put them back on after each stroke.

Well, I've had my iron covers for about a month now. I have to say that I like using them. They take like a half second to take off and a half second to slide back on, now that they are worn in a little bit. My irons aren't taking the dings from riding in the cart. Plus riding in the cart is quieter. I know alot of you don't like using them, but I paid alot of money for my new irons and want them to stay looking that way. I can't play good at least my equipment can look good... LOL

Let me start on a positive. They are your clubs and you should do what you want!
Now....iron head covers, are you serious!!! I'm kidding of course but that is sort of the reaction you may get. But then again it's your choice and if ppl make fun of you...they can just go...
I personally think it gives the club character with a few dings.

I'd like to get my club "character" from actually hitting shots. :D

Honestly, I just like a quieter ride. I don't play slow and I'd like to think that I'm not a pretentious prick (Slice might tell you different). Like Duey, I won't spit polish my clubs after every shot (maybe a quick swipe with the Spotless) which might cut some time down.

I love it when guys come up with this one. It has absolutely nothing to do with the topic, but someone always brings it up. The difference being that your car is not intended to be abused in such away, while irons are supposed to be beat against the ground in all sorts of lies. The analogy just doesn't hold up.

I don't use covers for my irons. I ride exclusively now that I'm in my senior years, and they don't chatter when I'm driving. I'm on the 3rd year with my AP-2 forged irons, and they show virtually no chatter of any kind. They do have a few battle scars, but I expect that because I play the ball down at all times. I clean them after every shot (and no, nobody EVER has to wait while I do it), so they look pretty good there on the back of the cart, sparkling in the sunlight.

I've known guys with iron covers who were slow, but that had less to do with the covers and more to do with their general personality. They were fairly anal and deliberate about the entire process of playing a shot, and as such they were just slow. That doesn't describe everyone I've know who used covers though. It would be silly to make such a claim. Like every other group, some are slow and some aren't.

I have iron covers, I just put them on every other iron 4,6,8,PW...that stops the clanking and damage.. I only ride never walk...I use them on my woods also...I wouldn`t have it any other way...It`s silly to say iron head covers take extra time to play...it takes 1/2 a second to take them off and on...Anyone that would complain about the time it takes to take covers on and off...is someone I have no interest in playing with...

When I shop at Walmart it's late and there are no cars in the parking lot...hehe plus I have door covers to cut down on the road chatter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use iron covers but it's got nothing to do with keeping my clubs in pristine condition - it's to cut down club chatter on the course. I use an electric trolley (very little golf buggy use here) and the course I play has a lot of small undulations. Tie that in with a bag that has just 7 compartments, I get a lot of chatter when going over all the bumps, and it drives me mad. The covers help to keep my sanity when playing.

As for affecting speed, I have the cover off and in my pocket as soon as the club's out of the bag, then back on as soon as the shot's hit. It has zero effect on my shot times because I've already set the trolley off and moving before I get the club back into the bag.

Each to their own I suppose.
That's interesting, I really like the sound of irons clanking together. Seriously.

That's interesting, I really like the sound of irons clanking together. Seriously.

I don't mind it in the cart, but walking it drives me nuts. I carry, so it is amplified a bit.

I love this thread.

I love this thread.

Me too. We all invest in our equipment. Do with it what you want to and who gives a rat's what anyone else does.

i love the sound of my irons chattering when i walk... to me its the coolest ever and reminds me of when i was 10 and wasnt allowed to rent a cart forcing me to walk the course
the only cover that stays on my clubs when i play is my putter cover (only club in my bag im not swinging out of my shoes)
the only time i cover everything (even irons) is when i travel car/train/plane etc
its just a pain in the butt during play to mess with covers

I had to check the whole thread to make sure I hadn't posted yet. Wow...

I don't use any headcovers except the driver because it's just another step or thing to do, or lose, or think about. To put a cover back on I first need to make sure the club is clean, so now my towel needs to be wet. I learned to travel light somewhere and I have to constantly reteach myself that lesson. I'll take the gun out of its case when I go hunting too.

Woods yes. Irons, no. Thought about it though after spending mad $$$ on irons this past offseason. Then after one round the bottoms have little marks made by the grass and sand and dirt, etc. The idea of covers didn't appeal to me after that for that reason, as I didn't see the point. BUT, I wouldn't judge anyone who did use them. Not my clubs, not my business. And I'm not good enough to judge anyone's bag set up or choice of coverage!

I judge everybody. Especially iron cover users.

Back