2012 THP Golf Outing & Demo Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am really excited to experience the differences between Ohio courses and Florida courses.. I've never actually played golf on a 'nice' course below the Carolina's..

What do you guys think will be the biggest difference that I'll experience?

Two things always stood out to me playing in FL. Wind and humidity. They say the FW's are different and something about the grain on the greens but whatever. Nothing is worse then FL wind and humidity. Last time the winds werent too bad but the humidity was terrible.

Two things always stood out to me playing in FL. Wind and humidity. They say the FW's are different and something about the grain on the greens but whatever. Nothing is worse then FL wind and humidity. Last time the winds werent too bad but the humidity was terrible.

I can probably deal with the humidity.. At least if I had to pick one I'd suffer through it over wind.. Wind is the worst thing eeeeever!

I can probably deal with the humidity.. At least if I had to pick one I'd suffer through it over wind.. Wind is the worst thing eeeeever!

I personally don't find it all that windy there, but the humidity will kick your butt, believe me. I think the biggest difference you will find is in chipping and just general play around the greens. Playing short game shots on bermuda grass is a whole other ball game.

I think the biggest difference you will find is in chipping and just general play around the greens. Playing short game shots on bermuda grass is a whole other ball game.

As in how? Could you elaborate? I've played a couple Florida courses a long time ago so I don't remember. Please refresh my memory

I personally don't find it all that windy there, but the humidity will kick your butt, believe me. I think the biggest difference you will find is in chipping and just general play around the greens. Playing short game shots on bermuda grass is a whole other ball game.

That's more what I had in mind... The humidity I hear is pretty rough, but it's been pretty insanely humid in Ohio this year so I imagine I got a pretty decent taste of average Florida humid..

I'm more interested in course-like condition variables.. Looked like the greens were playing hard and rolling well at the MC this year.

As in how? Could you elaborate? I've played a couple Florida courses a long time ago so I don't remember. Please refresh my memory

I would love to. When putting you have to play grain in your putts, this is not something you have to do here on poa annua greens, and it adds another dimension to putting. Chipping I found different because you can't land a ball short of the green and then have it hop on, it will just get caught in the grass and die. On the fairway the ball is almost tee'ed up and it can be easy to catch it a little fat, or catch a flyer. The rough is also really different than we play here, its not really rough really.

I cant wait to see all these rookies swing their arms off come demo day. I might even take a back seat to watch it more so this time. HA! No way I'll do that.

I know OEM...even last week, it was fun to watch the newbies make the classic mistake. Just because the range balls are free doesn't mean that you should try to hit 1000s.

I know OEM...even last week, it was fun to watch the newbies make the classic mistake. Just because the range balls are free doesn't mean that you should try to hit 1000s.

Haha, guilty! I can't wait to play Grand Cypress again. The guys that haven't played it yet are in for a treat. The north/south was really fun to play and the south 9 can be pretty tough. I want another shot at the par 5 with the elevated green.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

I would love to. When putting you have to play grain in your putts, this is not something you have to do here on poa annua greens, and it adds another dimension to putting. Chipping I found different because you can't land a ball short of the green and then have it hop on, it will just get caught in the grass and die. On the fairway the ball is almost tee'ed up and it can be easy to catch it a little fat, or catch a flyer. The rough is also really different than we play here, its not really rough really.

Yeah, I remember landing in the rough, about two inches from the fairway. You had to be directly over the ball just to see it way down in there, lol.

Tap,Tap,Tap

Haha, guilty! I can't wait to play Grand Cypress again. The guys that haven't played it yet are in for a treat. The north/south was really fun to play and the south 9 can be pretty tough. I want another shot at the par 5 with the elevated green.

After hearing all ya'll talk about this course I'm gonna have to take another trip up there soon and play it before May.

--
tapatalk

Yeah, I remember landing in the rough, about two inches from the fairway. You had to be directly over the ball just to see it way down in there, lol.

Tap,Tap,Tap

The rough is definatly thicker there than here, but much shorter.

After hearing all ya'll talk about this course I'm gonna have to take another trip up there soon and play it before May.

--
tapatalk

Nice that you have that option. I don't think that will be feasible for me

COOL BREEZE doesn't mind wind or think its windy... lol thats funny. id rather have wind than humidity i can play the wind when im hot and sticky theres not much i can do.

COOL BREEZE doesn't mind wind or think its windy... lol thats funny. id rather have wind than humidity i can play the wind when im hot and sticky theres not much i can do.

Oh I hate the wind, its my nemesis, but Florida in the few short times I have played there, is much less windy than where I live.

Actually, I will agree with CB. It was not windy at this past outing at all, but the heat and humidity were brutal

haha I love when people challenge JB. Poor CL and Rxgus learned that lesson the hard way.

Wait what lesson did I learn? :alien::act-up:

The rough is definatly thicker there than here, but much shorter.

Actually that was another course we played before getting to West Palm. The rough in WPB was a little lower.

Tap,Tap,Tap

Last edited:
That JB avatars are fun!

Exactly! I should just get a T shirt that says I got beat by JWOWW and all I got was this F'ing awesome avatar!!:bananadance:

I am ready for some good competition.....it will probably help my game.

One of my favorite holes in all of golf. The South 9 holes is definitely a test and I have a feeling that some of the forum members will get it handed to them on that course. It can be brutal.

Exactly! I should just get a T shirt that says I got beat by JWOWW and all I got was this F'ing awesome avatar!!:bananadance:

That is Mr. Wow Factor to you...hehe

This outing will be a little different with all the newbies coming to it. It will also be different because of the format.

Thats because you've been lucky. The outing you didnt go to was beyond windy and then when a few of us went down for the Hanks putter shoot out it again it was super windy. Brutal wind. Be happy you haven't had to experience it. And I find all the stuff about the grass to be overrated a bit.

I agree....we do small skins games around here but I think this will be different and I will have more nerves than normal.

Tappin' from my iPad!

I just hope my game shows up with me, I am stoked for the demo day, and meeting so many folks that I know online but don't know personally. It is mind blowing every time I start to think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back