Solheim Cup 2011 [Spoilers]

This is the beauty of DVR, I covered 8 hours last night in a little over 3 and didn't miss a shot.

They've released the Singles pairings for Sunday. There are a few interesting matchups to watch:

Julie Inkster v. Laura Davies (match 4): Classic duel of the old battle wagons. Davies just eclipsed Annika Sorenstam's record for most Solheim Cup points scored, with Inkster not to far behind. Which of these dinosaurs will prevail? That was a rhetorical question: Davies will crush Inkster, given how they've been playing.

Vicky Hurst v. Melissa Reid (match 5): Mel's been playing great in the Cup, but Hurst is young, athletic, and itching to redeem herself in her Captain's and team's eyes. I still expect Reid to win.

Michelle Wie v. Suzann Pettersen (match 9) : Duel of the Nike sisters. Normally, this would be an interesting matchup, but with Wie still missing in action during the Cup, Pettersen will win handily.

Cristie Kerr v. Karen Stupples (match 12): Duel of the soon-to-be-old battlewagons. They're both getting older, experienced, and deadly. Kerr is just a heck of a lot grumpier of the 2. And Kerr will win her match.

Ryann O'Toole v. Caroline Hedwall (match 10): This will be the BEST matchup to watch. Both are Cup rookies. Both are playing extremely well and out of their minds. Both are helping carry their teams on their young backs. Both want to win. I honestly don't know who will win, but I'll say Ryann in a hotly contested match that will go to the wire.

Morgan Pressel v. Anna Nordqvst (match 3): This match will be interesting only because you've got one of the shortest players, who happens to hit short as well, playing against one of the tallest players, who happens to hit long as well. Anna should easily blow away Morgan in what will most likely be a fun rout / massacre / slaughter to watch. Expect Morgan to be a good 40 yards behind Anna on their drives.

Finally, I think these pairings bode well for Team Europe. I think Europe will win a majority of the singles matches and will take the Solheim Cup from the Americans this year.

Good luck to both teams!

PS Hope to see Lexi playing in the Cup in 2 years (she'll be 18 then).

This is the beauty of DVR, I covered 8 hours last night in a little over 3 and didn't miss a shot.
But you had to avoid this thread while it was going on!

Great writeup. Although Anna Nordqvist while tall, does not hit a very long ball. In fact going off memory, I would say that Anna is outside of the top 50 in driving distance on the LPGA somewhere around 250 and Morgan is right around 240.

Sunday is going to exciting!!! All tied up going into singles that is incredible... Cmon USA !!!!

Thank you JB and great points on your part.

I also forgot to mention that Morgan thumped Anna back in 2009. I picked Anna in no small part because she was probably salivating over the chance to deliver some payback Anna-style to Morgan LOL.

I went back to check on some stats because I didnt think I was crazy. Anna does average right around 250 off the tee and Morgan is right around 240. At the Tour Championship this year, I thought I remembered them being almost even with Kris Tamulis and she is definitely right around that 240-250 mark.

Looking forward to tomorrow!

I went back to check on some stats because I didnt think I was crazy. Anna does average right around 250 off the tee and Morgan is right around 240. At the Tour Championship this year, I thought I remembered them being almost even with Kris Tamulis and she is definitely right around that 240-250 mark.

Looking forward to tomorrow!

Thanks for those stats JB. I'm surprised that Anna hasn't learned to capitalize on her distance off the tee, given her height and physical characteristics. Yani Tseng, Lorena Ochoa, and even Ryann O'Toole are long off the tee and shorter than Anna (though not as short as Morgan).

Boy the American girls really brought it back on the back nine!! This should be some really great golf tomorrow.

Let's go America! So excited for tomorrow!

Here's a great article that I am across in a blog regarding the Solheim Cup, the matches, and general strategy.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is going to make tomorrow a heck of a great day for watching golf. Get up in the morning and watch Solheim Cup coverage then watch someone win $10mil on the PGA Tour after that. All this while flipping channels back and forth to some NFL action too. What a great sports day!

I think we can just go ahead right now and concede Match #9. Wie looks so lost right now its not even funny!

Singles coverage on now! Inkster is already 2 up through 3 on Davies and USA is taking early leads in most of the matches. 14.5 points USA - please!! :D

Tappin' from my iPad!

This is going to make tomorrow a heck of a great day for watching golf. Get up in the morning and watch Solheim Cup coverage then watch someone win $10mil on the PGA Tour after that. All this while flipping channels back and forth to some NFL action too. What a great sports day!

Dude, that is my plan for the day step by step!

Tappin' from my iPad!

Weird stuff going on.

Kerr has not teed off yet but someone is working on her right upper arm/shoulder area and she is in visible tears of pain.

Creamer getting creamed by Matthew......4 down through 7.

Weather finally starts to play a factor.

Tappin' from my iPad!

I'll have to squeeze in a little range time but other than that the same will going down in the Kong Household

Dude, that is my plan for the day step by step!

Tappin' from my iPad!

Weird stuff going on.

Kerr has not teed off yet but someone is working on her right upper arm/shoulder area and she is in visible tears of pain.

Creamer getting creamed by Matthew......4 down through 7.

Weather finally starts to play a factor.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Creamer getting creamed has a nice ring to it.

Kerr was scheduled to go off in the last group. She will not play. Tendinitis in the right elbow. Full point to Europe.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Creamer getting creamed has a nice ring to it.

LMAO - thought you may find that funny.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Kerr is out, full point to Euros.

Good Sportsmanship by both sides, good to see

Poor CK! That has to suck. She's a fierce competitor. She must be really hurting.

Back