The Ball Doesn't Matter?

Nervous

Reaction score
Handicap
Reading through some golf links tonight and ran across this apparent quote by Schwartzel:

I played a round with Geoff (Ogilvy) and we were messing around with the two different golf balls, I play Nike and he plays Titleist so we were just seeing which ball we were going to hit," said Charl Schwartzel before competition got underway. "I found no difference in the balls. Geoff... was struggling with the irons a bit so I think we'll just go with his.

Maybe this was out of context, maybe this was misquoted ... but if someone at their level can't tell the difference between premium balls ... why even try at my level? If I take this to the extreme it sounds like every $4 ball is just alike.

Did I miss something here? :confused2:

Link to source

I read that too. I intertpreted it as; "they both felt they could play similary as well with either one's preferred ball and one didn't harm thier score too much vs. the other". Basically I think they both didn't want to be a 'diva' complaining about it. I could be wrong but that's how I took it.

I imagine Nike is not too happy with that quote.

I read that too. I intertpreted it as; "they both felt they could play similary as well with either one's preferred ball and one didn't harm thier score too much vs. the other". Basically I think they both didn't want to be a 'diva' complaining about it. I could be wrong but that's how I took it.

I agree with this. I'm thinking that neither guy wanted to be jumped on by the press/people for complaining about the other's ball.

Could he be talking about their balls during the foursomes? That would make some sense.

I would think that at their skill level they can absolutely tell the difference between balls. I would also think that, once again at that skill level, they could make just about any ball work for them.

What the pros say and do doesn't always trickle down to us. I attribute his opinion to just that, opinion. My opinion is golf balls have a huge effect in my game. Have him hit an E6 compared to a Pro V and see if he has the same thoughts. I'm sure he's heard from his Nike contact on this one :bicker:

I imagine Nike is not too happy with that quote.

I'm sure, and as griff said, I imagine he has heard from Nike about it too.

I would think that at their skill level they can absolutely tell the difference between balls. I would also think that, once again at that skill level, they could make just about any ball work for them.

I've often thought about this as these guys are so darn smooth I really have to wonder how much difference they really see. Its a bit different for me cutting across the ball and stuff, I'm looking for a ball that spins a bit less, but these guys hit it flush most of the time. I knew a guy years ago that was so good on a pool table he could beat anyone I know using a broom stick.

Why would Nike be upset? Everywhere you read Pro V1's are considered the best ball so if there is no difference the Nike has replicated the Pro V1. There can always be spin, pun intended, on these comments.

If there is one thing I learned this year it's that different balls can have very different feel/performance.

Next we're going to hear that the clubs don't matter - that any set of clubs, made to a pro's specs are just as good as any other. What heresy! LOL

Last edited:
Next we're going to hear that the clubs don't matter - that any set of clubs, made to a pro's specs are just as good as any other. What heresy! LOL

Kind of reminds me of back in the '80's when Karsten was suing the USGA and PGA over the square grooves. Both parties were on the wrong side of the argument. Ping was arguing that their own irons really didn't give pro players much of an advantage, while the PGA was arguing that equipment could actually enhance a pro golfer's performance levels.

Funny thread. However, one of the best golfers I play with regularly (3 handicap and could be much lower) doesn't care what ball he plays. He refuses to buy golf balls and only plays what he finds on the course. I saw him shoot a 34 on the front at our home course with a pink flying lady. Not sure who is right, but to each his own.

If you "think" a certain ball performs better for you then it will.

If you "think" it doesn't matter what kind of ball you play.....it won't.

Just my 2 cents.....and about all its worth!

so if he was playing Nike's premium ball and titleist's, then maybe they couldnt tell a difference, which isnt saying too much

but if one was a prov1 and the other was a nike crush, well then we have a problem lol

I am sure they can tell the difference but just wanted to be nice. I know a pro that could pick up a club and tell you if there was two wraps or three under the grip.

They know things! :act-up:

I am sure they can tell the difference but just wanted to be nice. I know a pro that could pick up a club and tell you if there was two wraps or three under the grip.

They know things! :act-up:

That is some serious feel that guy possesses, I cannot imagine being able to feel one wrap difference in the taping.

Funny thread. However, one of the best golfers I play with regularly (3 handicap and could be much lower) doesn't care what ball he plays. He refuses to buy golf balls and only plays what he finds on the course. I saw him shoot a 34 on the front at our home course with a pink flying lady. Not sure who is right, but to each his own.

I've been trying to tell everyone how good those Precept pink lady iQ+ are!

KellyBo, I hear you. I bought my future mother in-law a box of these in September. Now she hasn't played for very long and isn't very long off the tee, but she seriously increased her yardage by almost 15-20 yards with these compared to the other pink balls she was playing.

I was at Dick's the other day and a Lady comes up to me and had a question which balls where good for her to play with. I walked her over to the Precept Lady IQ+ balls and recommended them to her on your behave KB and MaryC.

We are BELIEVERS now KB !!!

(I might try them this winter :beauty: )

Agreed. I think this may have been more about 'what will my sponsor think' than anything else. Although didn't phil not play his Callaway ball when he played with Fowler in the last Ryder Cup? He didn't seem to worry much about making that switch.

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

What the pros say and do doesn't always trickle down to us. I attribute his opinion to just that, opinion. My opinion is golf balls have a huge effect in my game. Have him hit an E6 compared to a Pro V and see if he has the same thoughts. I'm sure he's heard from his Nike contact on this one :bicker:
Comparing apples to oranges...premium ball v. mid-range. But if you put the B330 against the Pro V1 he just might.:confused2:

Back