TBT' Big Adventure at Callaway Performance Center

TripleBogieTim

Long lost sheep
Reaction score
Handicap
my swing
One of the things I was most excited about when I was selected to be a part of the Morgan Cup was I knew that I was going to go the Callaway Performance Center for my first ever club fitting!

My fitting was done at the CPC at the absolutely stunning Barton Creek Country Club in Austin and my Master fitter was Chad, whom several of you have met since he joined THP a few weeks ago. Chad greeted me at the door when I walked in and we chatted for a few minutes as we went over the answers to a questionaire he emailed me last week. He explained the process and all the equipment and looked over my current clubs and he continued to ask me questions about my game and my home course as I used my 7iron to hit some balls and get warmed up.

We then started into the fitting which right away would be a little different than normal because the Adams A12OS set I currently play features a 6 hybrid and all of the iron numbers are based off a 6iron. So we got a baseline with my 7 iron and also the 6 hybrid, right away it was obvious that the biggest challenge would be getting my launch angle down as I tend to be a high ball hitter. We started going through the Callaway iron offerings first with the Razr HL, right way Chad switch my shaft setup..the Adams clubs have regular flex really light graphite shafts and we moved to a stiff flex much heavier shaft..after several decent shots we changed clubheads to the Razr XF, and then the Razr X Black, the Razr X tour and the Razr X. Once a clubhead was chosen we started really dialing in the shafts until a winner was found:
RAZR X BLACK with Dynamic Gold XP S300 shafts, 1*up
I actually gained a couple of mph ball speed and about 3 yards more carry than my stronger lofted 6 hybrid.

Next was Driver and Chad said he wasn't messing around we went right to an 8.5* Razr Fit head and started trying to find the right shaft combination to bring down my ball flight and reduce spin. The stock stiff Ripped NV shaft was too weak, we played with several combinations of shafts with the Fit set in the neutral position and the weight set on a draw bias, but I was still launching the ball too high...Chad then set up the new Razr Black Driver and I hit several options in that line, but that was even higher launching than the Fit. So we went back to the Fit and played with a few more shafts and the we tried a combination of one shaft and setting the face slightly open to lower the loft a little more and BINGO, I proceeded to pure the next 4 or 5 swings.. Very little dispersion...nice baby draw....the winner:
RAZR FIT 8.5*, open 12 gram heel weight, MATRIX RADIX 6, stiff
Not only did we get the launch and spin down, but my smash factor was at 95%, I gained 4 mph ball speed and 14 yards of carry!

Fairway woods went fast, he set up a Razr Fit 15* 3w with basically the same shaft as the driver and I absolutely pured 5 straight balls with it, dead straight and long...SOLD

Hybrids, we tried several variations, the Razr X, Razr X tour and Razr HL and I hit several lofts and shafts and in the end the winner was again pretty clear, as soon as he handed my the combination of this shaft and head I was hitting them dead straight with good launch and smash factor:
RAZR X TOUR, Fuji F1 Motore Stiff Shafts

I decided to go with the Golf Pride Decades in white/black all the way through.

Chad was great to work with and talked me through the whole process, even as he was typing up my order to send to Callaway, he let me know what he was doing ever step of the way, he emailed all of the specs to me after we were done and told me to call him if I had any questions.

I would highly recommend Chad and the Callaway performance centers to anyone thinking of getting a custom fitting!

I again find myself feeling incredibly humbled to be a part of this whole experience! Big thanks to Chad, The Barton Creek Country Club, Callaway Golf and THP!

Now I can't wait for them to get here!

Sorry about the length of this post, but it's alot of information to get in.

Last edited:
That sounds like an amazing experience. And gaining 14 yards of carry with the driver...awesome! Thank you for posting this TBT!

That is an awesome fitting process. Nice to have some solid choices now!

Great write-up TBT. I like the sound of a lot of those combos, and I can't wait to see it all when you get it and hear how you like it!

I'm going to be hitting your 3w til I'm
blue in the face. Glad you had such a positive experience. Thanks for sharing

Great, great write up Tim!

I am glad you had the opportunity to go through this. I was smiling reading through the driver part and then bam, you found the perfect shaft.

Very cool to know that you have the best Callaway clubs for your game, congrats man!

Team Hackers tapping!

Awesome! I love the Radix shafts. Thanks for sharing this with us Tim and congrats on going through something like this.

Very cool. Hope I get the chance at that kind of fitting someday. So far all I've ever done is a lie board.

Oh yeah TBT, I forgot to add this: J love the Radix. I believe you're referring to the HD6, which I have, and I absolutely LOVE it. I'm sure you will too. I can't wait to hear your feedback!

Awesome stuff TBT!!! I would love to do something like that.

Oh yeah TBT, I forgot to add this: J love the Radix. I believe you're referring to the HD6, which I have, and I absolutely LOVE it. I'm sure you will too. I can't wait to hear your feedback!
Radix and HD6 are different shafts.

TBT that was a great read and it sounds like a great day, and you wrote it very well.

Radix and HD6 are different shafts.

Oh. Sorry. I thought mine said Matrix Radix HD6. Either way, Some high quality shafts for sure.

Awesome post and info TBT!!! I love that Chad is on here to talk to all of us and give us his thoughts as well. Even cooler that he was your fitter. Glad you got your MC bag figured out man!

TBT that sounds so awesome! Chad is such a cool dude. Glad you got your specs nailed down. How did you like the looks of the RAZR X Black irons? Reading this gets me so much more excited for my fitting next week, hope it's as awesome as yours!!!!

Oh. Sorry. I thought mine said Matrix Radix HD6. Either way, Some high quality shafts for sure.

This is the shaft
matrix-radix-6-s-flex.png

He put the 6 in my Driver and the 7 in my 3W

Very nice writeup TBT. Sounds like an awesome experience. I'm pondering the Radix as well

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

TBT that sounds so awesome! Chad is such a cool dude. Glad you got your specs nailed down. How did you like the looks of the RAZR X Black irons? Reading this gets me so much more excited for my fitting next week, hope it's as awesome as yours!!!!

The Blacks are DEAD SEXY!!! I loved them!! And the ball just jumped off the face!

That's the one I have TBT and it ROCKS. I bet you'll love it!

Sounds like a great time TBT. That's quite a change from what you were using.

Cool day TBT, so awesome dude! There is nothing like a real deal fitting to really dial your game in, can't wait to share the course with in you in May.

Nice write up TBT! Must feel good to know everything is going to be set up to your specs!

Loved reading that, Tim. Sounds like one hell of a day for you.

But does superhawk approve?

Back