Flop shot - method of chipping with the intent of getting the ball as high in the air as you can.

Punch - method of swinging that keeps the ball as low to the ground as possible to go under trees or avoid high wind.

Honors - the player who won the previous hole tees off first on the next hole

Up and down - missing the green on the approach shot, then chipping on and making the putt for par.

One-Two Piece - What you hit someone with after they Icejack you twice

Got hit into twice today.....first time, looked back and raised my hands like "WTF?!" No fore, no nothing. Second time, picked up his ball, drove back to the tee asked who this ball belonged to, and laid him out with a two piece. I dont play that sh*t.

Mattykrack - buying a club because you liked it in the store, then realizing after 2 holes you don't like it, and throwing it in the Marketplace.

Last edited:
Flop shot - method of chipping with the intent of getting the ball as high in the air as you can.

Punch - method of swinging that keeps the ball as low to the ground as possible to go under trees or avoid high wind.

Honors - the player who won the previous hole tees off first on the next hole

Up and down - missing the green on the approach shot, then chipping on and making the putt for par.

Mattykrack - buying a club because you liked it in the store, then realizing after 2 holes you don't like it, and throwing it in the Marketplace.

That one is critical to remember.

Hook - ball that flies right to left sharply (for right handed golfer)
Slice - ball that flies left to right sharply
Draw - ball that flies right to left slightly
Fade - ball the flies left to right slightly

Chili-dip - when chipping you hit behind the ball and it only moves a foot

Push - A ball whose flight path is straight, with negligible sidespin, that
ends up right of the target.

Pull - The opposite of push: A ball whose flight path is straight that ends up
left of the target.

"BITE!" - Something you yell when you want the ball to spin or slow down, I find myself saying it a lot, even outside of golf.

Sally - referring to a putt that is about 5 or more feet short of the cup. Can also replace with any other 'female' gendered name.
"Nice putt Sally." or "I really Sallied that putt."

~Rock

When I putt short a friend of mine always says to me that it was a 'gay' putt
Eversince then I've been using that word when coming up short

Just tappin away

One I have always been curious about is "hooding your irons". I used to drink with a couple of blowhards (older guys that knew better than all) and when we would discuss golf, they would ask how far I could hit my sticks. I would tell them a distance with a club, any club, and they would always say, "Oh, its probably because you hood your irons". WTF does that even mean?

If I'm not mistaken this refers to closing the club face at address and leaning the shaft forward. Often used in conjunction with a "punch out" shot from trouble to get back into play, but the idea is the club gets delofted by gripping the club "strong".

I played with a guy today that consistently kept telling me that I was "nutting" my drivers and "flushing" my irons. Very odd choices.

Thank you for totally ignoring these two posts:

I think the OP is looking for serious terminology, not "slang" terminology. I think we have other threads for such terms.

This is a good idea for a thread. Guys lets remember to keep this serious as to help newer golfers rather than fill it with odd words that you have come up with for this forum.

"Short sided". Missing the green on the side where the pin is located, leaving yourself little room to land and stop the following chip shot. Really tough out of long grass, or sometimes a bunker, especially when the green slopes away toward the other side.

Like it always does. If the lies permits, it's sometimes advisable to attempt a "Texas Wedge" shot. The "Texas Wedge" is especially popular with older golfers. And Texans.

Kevin

I've always considered "hooding an iron" to be when you close the face to try and hit a "Rope hook me jeebus."

Kevin

And since Esox went there and I am from Texas

"Texas Wedge" - the act of playing a shot from off the green with your putter, so named because of the hard packed ground around the greens in the Texas Summer...I have seen Texas Wedge shots played from 20 yards off the green.

If you hit a putt close to the hole and someone says "It's in the leather," it's the same thing as "that's a gimme," granting you permission to pick up the ball assuming you will make the next putt since it's close enough. That is using a standard putter as a measurement tool- once upon a time putters had leather grips so if you put it on the ground measuring from the hole, the ball would be within the leather.

To 'belly' a wedge.

Usually only attempted by those confident in their greenside game, this refers to intentionally hitting the ball around the equator with the blade of a lofted club, to bump it through a patch of rough and get it running on the green immediately. Can be a tough shot to master.

ACE = Hole in One (1st shot in)
Albatross = Double Eagle (3 under par)

FABIO = F*****g awful, but its ok. (When you shoot an awful shot, but the end result is ok)

What I'd like to ask you all is that I've heard that people refer to any shot made from the teeing area as a "drive", do you agree, or is a drive only a shot made with a Driver, as in 1 Wood, or is it possible to drive with a 6 iron?

FABIO = F*****g awful, but its ok. (When you shoot an awful shot, but the end result is ok)

What I'd like to ask you all is that I've heard that people refer to any shot made from the teeing area as a "drive", do you agree, or is a drive only a shot made with a Driver, as in 1 Wood, or is it possible to drive with a 6 iron?

I had a fabio that I somehow turned the wedge upside down and hit it with the back side. It was easily the worst shot of my life and I don't know how to beat it. It hit a telephone pole at the correct angle and bounced onto the greet to 10 feet or so.

I consider a drive with a driver. I call it a tee shot universally anyway, but I will say "I drove it 260 yards there."

barkie - hitting a tree at any part of the hole and making par

We have a thread for slang term. This thread is to used for real golf terms that some do not know. Put the slang terms in the proper thread

Rub of the Green: Something unintended and good or bad that happens to your ball to affect its movement. i.e. You are putting from 3 feet and as it rolls to the cup a seed falls in its path and deflects it. Usually followed by bad word.

Seen a few competition scores recently, like the following 76bih
i'd love to know what the 'bih' is short for and what it indicates, anyone ???

I'm pretty sure bih stands for better inward half.

Sandie - getting up and down out of a bunker in 2 shots
Greenie - making GIR or Green In Regulation
Push (in match play situations) - tying an opponent's score on the hole, ie both shooting pars/bogeys/etc.
Chip - hitting a ball onto the putting surface utilizing a shorter distance club in order to get the ball on the green and rolling
Pitch - hitting a ball onto the putting surface utilizing a shorter distance club in order to get the ball in the air more than a chip with less roll-out
Roll-out - the distance a ball rolls out after impact
Plug - when a ball impacts the ground and is buried/semi-buried in the ground; pending local rules and rules of golf, golfer may seek relief in the 'imbedded ball rule'
hitting a ball 'thin' - hitting the ball with the leading edge of the club, resulting in a low trajectory shot, usually longer distance than intended
hitting a ball 'thick' or 'fat' - hitting the ground first behind the golf ball, resulting in varying trajectories, almost always shorter distance than intended and can result in very large divots or sod to be used for starting a nice lawn

Check up - putting enough backspin on a chip that it stops very quickly after bouncing.

I'm pretty sure bih stands for better inward half.

thanks, so they have the better final standing because of the better score on the last 9 holes

double-tap: when chipping, the ball hardly goes anywhere after contact, and your club hits it again while the ball is in mid-air.
yes, this does count as 2 strokes.
and the only time this has ever happened to me was during a flippin school tournament -_-

Back