Green Caddie Preview

This will be an interesting review. If it works it could be a game changer. Nice pics Jake!

interesting device, will be following along to see how the testing pans out

Do you get anything else from it besides the slope?
You also get distance as well as gradient reading.

In the pictures I put up you can see a little hole at the top of the device, that is used to measure distance to the pin while on the green. Not sure how far out this will work, but my first thought is that I don't know how often I care how far the hole is when I'm on the green lining up a putt, distance is all about feel when putting.

Right, I agree with mward, no go for tournament play but for practice it's fine. I'm curious to use it to put my green reading skills (or lack there of) to the test.
I would love to read a green and then drop this down to see if I'm even close. A course here, Southern Hills in Hawkinsville, has some very subtle ridges that I usually miss.

I can't wait to hear more, this really looks like it could make me a better putter

This is....interesting to me. I do love cool technology stuff like this. Looking forward to thoughts Jake.

Well that is definitely one of the more unique devices I have ever seen. Kudos to the people who thought that would be a good idea for all of us who suck at reading greens. Looking forward to the review!

~Rock

I love gadgets, but I wish my green reading was better. Maybe this will help.

Im not sure how I feel about this one. I am interested to see how we'll it works though.

i just saw this for the first time the other day but didn't get a chance to read about it. looking forward to your review!

Seems like it would be good for "mapping" greens of your home course that you play often, (something I have thought about doing at my "home course"). I can't imagine using during a round, even a practice round.

How much is on of those?

Put a bunch of Little land minds all over the green, pretty cool...interested.

LtEvO TaPpEd

Got this thing out on the course today. Jjmorris actually used it a lot. Maybe he'd be kind enough to chime in with some thoughts.

20121031_153149.jpg

20121031_153110.jpg

Well I didn't get to use it enough to formulate any solid opinions on it but I will say that it doesn't seem very practical to use during a round (non-competitive one that is since it isn't legal devise). I say that because you would have to move it a few times along the line to see where your putt breaks the most and that is just not feasible.

There is really only two uses i see for it as a viable training aid:

1.) to try and map out greens before a competitive round in a certain course for a yardage book (which would take a longgggg time) and,

2.) to use to set up a grid on a practice putting green at a local course. What I mean by is to take your home course putting green, measure it out and create it on a piece of paper. Now go and set this all over and mark the readings (angle and direction). This should allow you to than practice on that green and then Maybe during the practice mark which putts you were struggling with or which putts you were hitting good.

Not sure how much #2 makes sense but it is really the only use I would see myself doing with this (which would take awhile and not even sure if it would help my putting game to be worth it).

It is a neat little devise and it will also read distance up to 30m (yes meters) so I guess you could record putting distance during a round and track make percentages based on distance to hole.

I have seen iPhone apps that do the same. As a matter of fact they will show front to back side to side at the same time.

I would think for myself it would be a toy and not much more. You need your eyes, feet and other senses to read greens, and reading means if you don't use them and use a device to tell you that you begin to loose your edge in reading greens.

It takes time to learn to read greens well and practice to keep those skills sharp. Skills you don't use will diminish and I think this looks like a way to trust a machine and not learn to see and feel and figure out the slope and break with your eyes, your brain and your feet.

I agree on it being more of a toy. I wasn't aware of them having iPhone apps that would accomplish the same things but it might be worth looking into if there are additional features.

I would think for myself it would be a toy and not much more. You need your eyes, feet and other senses to read greens, and reading means if you don't use them and use a device to tell you that you begin to loose your edge in reading greens.

It takes time to learn to read greens well and practice to keep those skills sharp. Skills you don't use will diminish and I think this looks like a way to trust a machine and not learn to see and feel and figure out the slope and break with your eyes, your brain and your feet.

Why not use both? Besides, your senses are subjective and can mess it up quite easily. There are "machines" and charts that do a scary good job of reading greens (fr.ex. Aimpoint).

Back