Miyazaki B. Asha Review - Forum Testing

For a short while I was starting to think my eyes were deceiving me, but I'm quite certain (including launch monitor numbers) that the Kusala launched about a degree or so lower on average.

I have not made comparisons between the 5s (5674) vs the 61s (3566) though, just the 5x (7785) vs the 61x (5689). As you can well see, that's a big jump in tip stiffness in the Kusala line from S to X.

Guess I need to get my mitts on a 4S pretty quick then.

Played 18 again today and I will say this. My miss hits are amazing with this driver, but it definitely has to much backspin compared to my other driver.

Did a side by side on a long par 4 today and there was a 63 yard difference. The B. Asha was well behind. Now I didn't put the best swing on the B. Asha, but even on my best swings with it it hadn't gone as far as my other driver. I can deal with the distance loss when I'm in play all the time though.

I'm also wondering if my swing changes has affected how the distance, since I am hitting more downward with my driver now. I did have quite a few drives that the sound it made was muted and sounded killed, but I then came to my ball and was depressed with the result.

I'm playing again Sunday and I plan on doing some more side by side holes. The one thing I do see though is that my Matrix 6m3 has a much more penetrating flight.

Played 18 again today and I will say this. My miss hits are amazing with this driver, but it definitely has to much backspin compared to my other driver.

Did a side by side on a long par 4 today and there was a 63 yard difference. The B. Asha was well behind. Now I didn't put the best swing on the B. Asha, but even on my best swings with it it hadn't gone as far as my other driver. I can deal with the distance loss when I'm in play all the time though.

I'm also wondering if my swing changes has affected how the distance, since I am hitting more downward with my driver now. I did have quite a few drives that the sound it made was muted and sounded killed, but I then came to my ball and was depressed with the result.

I'm playing again Sunday and I plan on doing some more side by side holes. The one thing I do see though is that my Matrix 6m3 has a much more penetrating flight.

Interesting... The 6M3 is in a Burner? Same loft as the Classic?

The one thing I do see though is that my Matrix 6m3 has a much more penetrating flight.

Would the Matrix be a closer match to the X series?

Interesting... The 6M3 is in a Burner? Same loft as the Classic?

The 6M3 is in an identically built Classic head.

Would the Matrix be a closer match to the X series?

Probably in the tip yes, I had a filling the 5s tip was going to be a little soft.

Didn't play well today but still managed a 11 of 13 fairways on a tight course with the driver. Tons of thoughts on this combo now to digest and report about. Hope tomorrow but might be Monday.

Testing: Comparison B. Asha 4S vs. RIP Phenom in R11S driver

Driving Range: Mats
Balls: Driving range balls
Weather: 40* w/ 20 mph wind from right to left (felt like 35*)

Summary:
So I finally got a chance to do a head to head comparison on the range with the B. Asha 4S and the RIP Phenom (stock shaft in the R11S). It was a cold, overcast, windy day but I was swinging the club well and got a good comparison of the two shafts. I went back and forth with each shaft hitting about 15 balls before switching. I hit about 100 total balls today. Both clubs were set to 10.5*, Neutral, 10 g's in the heel, 1 g in the toe.

Feel:
The two shafts have a very different feel when comparing. In terms of weight the B. Asha is around 12 grams lighter and I can definitely feel it. I really like the lighter feeling, I feel like I can put a nice aggressive swing with the B. Asha in my driver. The B. Asha 4S is VERY stiff in the butt while the RIP is much stiffer in the tip. The B. Asha 4S feels bigger in my hands and it took me a little longer to get comfortable with my grip. I may put a bigger grip on the B. Asha somewhere down the road but it definitely feels bigger in the hands with a .60 golf pride tour velvet grip. The B. Asha feels a little more stout than the RIP but I really like how I can feel the kick in the B. Asha hitting the ball. It is because of the kick that I give the advantage to the B. Asha here but closer than I would of thought.

Trajectory:
Both shafts produced a similar peak height with the RIP maybe getting slightly higher. However the RIP Phenom climbs up gradually then drops off while the B. Asha gets up quicker and levels off. I prefer the trajectory of the B. Asha to the RIP.

Distance:
I am very familiar with this driving range and you can get a good read of distance on this range. I thought the the B. Asha was consistent with it's distances while the RIP Phenom had a range of distances. My furthest drive was with the RIP but I also had some that came up shorter. I'd say in the end they both had similar averages and at this point I would give them a push for distance.

Accuracy/Dispersion:
Here's where I saw how different the two shafts are. My misses with the B. Asha were all left while my misses with the RIP Phenom were all right. I'd say the B. Asha had a smaller dispersion as some of my misses with the RIP were way off line. I found it very interesting that with the B. Asha the ball started off line but kept it's line and didn't drift. The RIP would start off line and keep fading. The B. Asha is by far the straightest shaft I've ever hit. I think I may be getting a little quick which is why it sometimes starts left but it really keeps the ball on line. I need to get used to my ball not fading but I definitely prefer the straight line I get with the B. Asha.

Conclusion:
It felt good to get out on the range today even though it was freezing. Going on almost a week without power because of Sandy so it's a nice escape from cleanup. I can't wait to get R11S/ B. Asha 4S on the course and hope to do so next week. I'm going to pay close attention to the distance to see on course what if any difference there is in distance between the two shafts. I also think I'm going to have to adjust my alignment a little since I am not seeing any fade with the B. Asha 4S.

OMG...won't ramble in the thread, but OMG. Can I get an amen! A LOT of what you guys have been saying I experienced today. More so after the round when I went to the range. I was still trying to hold onto my swing changes and take it easy on the course (didn't miss a fairway!!!). Can't wait until tomorrow's round, will open up the throttle a little bit.

OMG...won't ramble in the thread, but OMG. Can I get an amen! A LOT of what you guys have been saying I experienced today. More so after the round when I went to the range. I was still trying to hold onto my swing changes and take it easy on the course (didn't miss a fairway!!!). Can't wait until tomorrow's round, will open up the throttle a little bit.

Sounds like you've found a winner dude.. That's awesome!

Man I wanna try one of these. JB you have any extras laying around? :)

You going to be at the second THP invitational? I bet a couple guys coming will have them in their drivers and will let you take a couple swats!

Yeah I'm gonna be at both invitationals. Looking forward to taking a few swings with those things!

Sounds like you've found a winner dude.. That's awesome!

This beauty is awesome man! I'm thinking I won't be so successful with the fairways tomorrow when I open up the throttle a bit, but who knows. When I took it to the range, I ended up moving the ball back in my stance a bit, but I could NOT get this shaft to skip a beat. It handled whatever I threw at it. Was just a site for me with how the flight just penetrated outward and upward to its peak and just kept on truckin straight down the line. It felt sooooo smooth and the kick can make your heart skip a beat...lol.

This beauty is awesome man! I'm thinking I won't be so successful with the fairways tomorrow when I open up the throttle a bit, but who knows. When I took it to the range, I ended up moving the ball back in my stance a bit, but I could NOT get this shaft to skip a beat. It handled whatever I threw at it. Was just a site for me with how the flight just penetrated outward and upward to its peak and just kept on truckin straight down the line. It felt sooooo smooth and the kick can make your heart skip a beat...lol.

I definitely hear what you're saying. I'm kind of shocked that this shaft lets you lay off and go for the more accurate drive, yet also thrives on swings that go after the ball.

It's a neat shaft, no doubt about it. can't wait to get it out on course tomorrow!

This is exactly what I'm going to try tomorrow. I've done it on the range and have seen good results, I just tend to hit more draws which is fine. I really just want to see a penetrating flight again.

I'm kind of shocked that this shaft lets you lay off and go for the more accurate drive, yet also thrives on swings that go after the ball.

I was very happy with that fact on the course, not so much with the ball flight...very high, but still in the fairway and obviously not as long. When getting on it at the range, the flight was much lower and penetrating. Not sure what to make of it since I don't know much about the technical side of shafts. You haven't found that to be similar with your 5X?

Last edited:

Jack = jealous.

Nice! I will look at their list of retailers. The last place u was at had limited shaft choices and the B Asha wasn't one of them.

In the ITR radio show with Miyazaki, (http://www.thehackersparadise.com/?p=17325), it was said that the B. Asha was a "new and improved version of the C. Kua". For those who have played the C. Kua in the past what differences have you found between the C. Kua and the B. Ahsa?

In the ITR radio show with Miyazaki, (http://www.thehackersparadise.com/?p=17325), it was said that the B. Asha was a "new and improved version of the C. Kua". For those who have played the C. Kua in the past what differences have you found between the C. Kua and the B. Ahsa?

Well I have the B. Asha 4x and have used the C. Kua 43s in the past. The B. Asha is much more stable. I thought that the 43s was a bit whippy and the B. Asha is very stout and stable. Just a much better shaft IMO. It really stands up well to a quick, aggressive swing like the C. Kua did not.

Honestly, had they not compared the B.Asha and C.Kua in the show I would have NEVER made that link. Completely different beasts for me in feel, stability, and performance. I played 3 different C.Kua's in drivers at one point and they just always felt off to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I have the B. Asha 4x and have used the C. Kua 43s in the past. The B. Asha is much more stable. I thought that the 43s was a bit whippy and the B. Asha is very stout and stable. Just a much better shaft IMO. It really stands up well to a quick, aggressive swing like the C. Kua did not.

Thats good to hear. I'm assuming a lot of that is due to the stiffer tip and the lower torque in the Asha.

Back