Cast vs Forged - The Master Debate

I spent a good hour in the Golftown in downtown Toronto and I have to say the staff is very unimpressive. I witnessed a fitting and three sales and none of the guys knew what they were talking about. THe guy in the fitting kept say he liked the Razr fit and the sales guys kept pushing everything else. The other sales guys sounded like they were reading out of a magazine. All the customers left without purchasing anything. So you saying what you did does not surprise me at all.
I was just on the phone with golftown about having a set of Nike VR Pro Cavities bent for lie angle and they said they couldn't because they're not forged.... durrrrrr

Just reinforcing that this was me. Nice that I had to make my wife's first post. Ha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're wife sounds really smart !!!

I don't rule out or give extra consideration to an iron or wedge because of the method which it's made.

Doesn't mean others should, or are wrong for preceiving feel as they have. But I still maintain that my Ci11s feel as good as any forged club I have ever hit. A Titleist staffer told me they were buttery.

C'mon guys. I wouldn't be caught dead with cast clubs! Even my silverware is grain flow forged!

J/K

I believe all forged clubs feel great but cast clubs can feel just as good (Ci11s, Burner 2,0s...)

Jman!!! That was pretty funny

I was just on the phone with golftown about having a set of Nike VR Pro Cavities bent for lie angle and they said they couldn't because they're not forged.... durrrrrr

Fink try this guy he is great at what he does and a great guy I'm sure he can help you. He's up in Braeside
http://www.ericksonscc.com/

Fink try this guy he is great at what he does and a great guy I'm sure he can help you. He's up in Braeside
http://www.ericksonscc.com/

Thanks for the tip! I'm looking at VR Pros for my friend, but he is like 6'3" or taller so he looks like he is trying to tie his shoes when he holding a standard iron.

Just reinforcing that this was me. Nice that I had to make my wife's first post. Ha!

You'll be weary of what you say from here on out...

Driving for show and chutting for dough

You'll be weary of what you say from here on out...

Driving for show and chutting for dough

Nah, she knows I'm a hopeless golf junkie. Heck, she was probably happier than me when I became a staffer. I just like to joke.

I really didn't know she had an account though, I need to get her on here more.

First off, I don't really know why the debate matters, we should play what we like. I started playing golf on forged irons, and at that time, the cast irons of that error (that I tried) did not feel as soft as forged, IMHO. I stuck with forged. I play Mizuno Tzoid True blades, love the feel of a pure shot, I know exactly where I caught it by sound and feel on mis-hits. I also own a set of Adams Redlines. They feel great, but different, on pure shots too. Far more forgiving on the hands on mis-hits (in fact it's hard to tell I have mishit them). I went back to the Mizunos because of looks (can't get used to that giant club head), I get better results on pure shots, and can I draw/fade them. sure, the Redlines are far more forgiving on distance when I catch one out towards the toe, or thin. But the Mizzys are longer on pure strikes. That just tells me I need to stick with my lessons and practice to keep improving my ball striking.

I am in the market for new irons, and after my Redline/Tzoid experiment, I felt forged was the only way to go for me. Then I tried the i20s again. Great feel, almost the nothingness feel of Mizuno on pure strikes. Great feedback and sound. Still look good at address. Not sure which way I am going to go at this point.

I have tried other cast clubs that didn't do it for me in the feel dept. But, I also have tried out some forged irons that felt harsh to me. I plan to make the decision on my next set by what feels best and works best for me, regardless of how they are made.

First off, I don't really know why the debate matters, we should play what we like. I started playing golf on forged irons, and at that time, the cast irons of that error (that I tried) did not feel as soft as forged, IMHO. I stuck with forged. I play Mizuno Tzoid True blades, love the feel of a pure shot, I know exactly where I caught it by sound and feel on mis-hits. I also own a set of Adams Redlines. They feel great, but different, on pure shots too. Far more forgiving on the hands on mis-hits (in fact it's hard to tell I have mishit them). I went back to the Mizunos because of looks (can't get used to that giant club head), I get better results on pure shots, and can I draw/fade them. sure, the Redlines are far more forgiving on distance when I catch one out towards the toe, or thin. But the Mizzys are longer on pure strikes. That just tells me I need to stick with my lessons and practice to keep improving my ball striking.

I am in the market for new irons, and after my Redline/Tzoid experiment, I felt forged was the only way to go for me. Then I tried the i20s again. Great feel, almost the nothingness feel of Mizuno on pure strikes. Great feedback and sound. Still look good at address. Not sure which way I am going to go at this point.

I have tried other cast clubs that didn't do it for me in the feel dept. But, I also have tried out some forged irons that felt harsh to me. I plan to make the decision on my next set by what feels best and works best for me, regardless of how they are made.

I may be wrong, but 90% of everything you described has more to do with the iron's shape than it's manufacturing method. It's funny that you like the i20s so much, because they're cast.

I may be wrong, but 90% of everything you described has more to do with the iron's shape than it's manufacturing method. It's funny that you like the i20s so much, because they're cast.

Yes. That was my point. I was trying to say that I don't think it matters much any more.

15 years ago I thought that forged was the only way to get a soft feel. I now know I can get that from a cast club too. I do prefer the look/shape of a blade though. I don't think the i20 looks like a blade, but they look better than most of the other GI irons I have checked out.

I hear you. Ignorance about golf equipment where I live is unreal. There is hardly a time that I walk into Golftown and don't hear the employees telling a customer or myself something that completely wrong. Last time I was there we were talking about the feel of the i20's and apparently Ping uses, 'a very soft metal', to make these! I just smiled and nodded...what's the point?

Yeah man, yesterday I went to Dick's and I asked the guy if they got the new spider ghost s putters and he pointed at the putters in the corner, and they were last years model, he rudely tried to convince me that this model was the brand new one. . .then I nicely told him I was on THP the largest golf website in the world, and I know what the new putters look like. . .anyways, it makes me sad when folks like us know more than the seller, heck one time a great club maker tried to tell me the R11 irons were forged. . .

that sucks man, they are just ignorant lol, and were probably trying to push you into buying some forged clubs lol

Yes. That was my point. I was trying to say that I don't think it matters much any more.

15 years ago I thought that forged was the only way to get a soft feel. I now know I can get that from a cast club too. I do prefer the look/shape of a blade though. I don't think the i20 looks like a blade, but they look better than most of the other GI irons I have checked out.

I don't think anyone will dispute the assertion that different irons feel differently, but the reason they do isn't the manufacturing method or the material, it's the design of the head. If the i20's don't prove that I don't know what will. If you had 2 clubs with the same shape and same shaft, pros can't even tell a difference.

I don't think anyone will dispute the assertion that different irons feel differently, but the reason they do isn't the manufacturing method or the material, it's the design of the head. If the i20's don't prove that I don't know what will. If you had 2 clubs with the same shape and same shaft, pros can't even tell a difference.
Thats what he is saying too.

Forged blades are my preference both for feel and cosmetics. When people say a club feels like "butter" they are indeed speaking of a pure struck forged iron. Granted, you must have good ball striking to get maximum results from your forged irons, but overall it is worth it.

Forged blades are my preference both for feel and cosmetics. When people say a club feels like "butter" they are indeed speaking of a pure struck forged iron. Granted, you must have good ball striking to get maximum results from your forged irons, but overall it is worth it.

Are you sure? How are we to know that? What if a player feels as though his R9 TPs felt like butter? Does that mean they are wrong? How is one to know what other people feel?

The irony being butter is cast of course...:D

Last edited:
Ill tell you something, the Cleveland Gambler series feels more firm than my Bettinardi and the Gambler is forged where my Bettinardi is not.

Also, my Bridgestone wedges feel softer than Mizuno wedges. the Bstone wedges are cast.

The S56 irons felt pretty soft to me and they are cast as well.

Butter is relative. Butter is in the hands of the behitter.

I love this thread! :) So entertaining!

In my experience, none of that is true.

That's a pretty bold assessment. I would imagine if you hit both a forged iron and a cast iron side-by-side without knowing which is which, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. And forged irons are not only "blades/MB" irons. There are plenty of cavity back irons with plenty of forgiveness that are forged. Also, wouldn't good ball striking be needed for any type of iron or club for that matter to get the maximum results?

Lol at the resurrection of this thread.

forged vs not

forged vs not

I was looking at the GI style nikes and had a thought. Does forged mean anything when you take the extra technology out of the equation. To make a fair comparison you must take the blades out of equation because they lack all of the advances you find in SG clubs along with the SGI because they have so much going on there that you wont see in a forged club.
Does the fact that a club is forged mean anything or is it the rest of what goes into a club that sets it apart.

Forged is just how the club is made. You can get forged blades, game improvment and I think Adams and Callaway have forged super game improvments. The Cobra Amp forged has a lot going on so does Callaway Razr XF. I'm not sure I really understand what you are getting at.

Back