Miyazaki B. Asha Review - Forum Testing

I'm in full b asha ponder after hitting SW's in his Black today. Loved it! Such a smooth feel to it, stiffer than what I play now but I was getting some awesome results with it. Ball flight was a slightly lower trajectory for me but I felt like I was just getting after it today and seeing results that were a bit longer than what I am used to.

4S + CG Black, incredible combination.

Hard ponder after hitting Freddie's asha today. Beautiful flight and felt nicer than the stoutness of the kusala black. I would probably go 5s but I'd have to do some research to back that up.

Not sure on the head to use though!

On Course Testing 11/17

Course: Oasis Golf Club, Loveland OH
Temperature: 60*
Wind: 5-10mph
Conditions: fair
Shaft Testing: Tipped B.Asha 5x
Ball Used: Bridgestone B330-S

Former review posts:

As I had mentioned earlier, I've had some trouble with a cracked tip in my B.Asha, leading to having an inch cut off the tip end of the shaft. Today was my first attempt with the adjusted setup, and wow, is that thing ever stout.

The first thing I noticed was diminished feedback on the downswing and upon contact with the ball. I've played x flex shafts with less feedback than this stock, and with this tipped I would argue it is much more like that. I didn't feel much loading and the ball came off pretty hard. I chalked the latter on it being cooler range balls, so I headed out to the course to see if things would be different.

My big miss right now is out on the toe and high. Misses of that nature generate a draw+ and go about 90% of my quality average. In my round today, I feel like that miss was much more punishing. Maybe 80% at best of my quality average distance. After hitting a few like that, I figured I would really have to go after the ball in order to activate the shaft, and my new few were pretty strong, although balls that I felt were "crushed" were not really going where I would expect them to.

By the end of the round, I was 12/14 in fairwards, however I play rather large fairways so I was not punished on a few of the draw+ strikes. In terms of walking off the tee box thinking the drive felt 'well struck' I would say I was something in the realm of 6/14. Obviously not the way I want to feel 43% of the time.

I'll be back on course tomorrow for another 14 strikes with this combo, along with some limited range time. I'll be very concentrated on the level of interaction I can feel between the shaft and the clubhead. Hoping for more feedback in terms of loading.

Last edited:
Canadan....did you lose done distance with the shaft cut down now an inch?

Canadan....did you lose done distance with the shaft cut down now an inch?

The distance loss was not based on shaft length. While I had an inch removed from the tip, I also added an inch back to the butt.

The distance loss was not based on shaft length. While I had an inch removed from the tip, I also added an inch back to the butt.

I missed that you added it back in the end of the shaft. Got ya. But with it being stiffer than before I can see how there has got to be some distance loss compared to before.

Today was bathroom plumbing day at home, but on the way out to get some stuff from Home Depot, I just couldn't resist popping into the driving range for a bucket.

50*, only about 5 mph headwind so it was pretty nice weather for this time of year. After working on irons for about half the bucket of balls, I moved on to the driver (Cleveland Classic 10.5 with B. Asha 5X at 45.25" length).

Overall, this was probably the best driving session I've ever had at the range. All the good feelings I had from the Myrtle Beach trip carried over to this range session. I was primarily working on hitting a little draw today, a shot I've struggled mightily with forever with my driver. But today, I was really hitting this shot well. A nice, mid flight, 5 yard draw that was carrying about 275 into the wind with some nice roll afterwards. Despite the stoutness of the shaft (which I love and attribute to improving my accuracy big time), I was able to get the flight up to what looked like absolutely ideal height to maximize distance. I hope to get on the monitor at golfsmith soon to verify, but I'm pumped by what I saw visually.

But like always with B. Asha, the most impressive drives were on my bad swings. I'll point out 2 swings in particular. The first was my typical miss when trying to draw the ball -- I pull my arms around my body way too much (instead of going down the target line) that usually ends up a low duck hook straight left, exaggerated by the fact I usually "toe slap" the ball giving it even more draw spin. Well today, I totally felt the pull toe-slap impact on that swing but looked up to see a slightly pulled drive that was only drawing about 10 yards, overall ending up only 15 yards left of my target. Also, the flight of the ball, while lower than what I'd like, still was sufficient to get the ball out there 250 or so before touching down. With other shafts, this drive always ends up worm burning about 175 yards directly into trees on the left. This one would have been playable on all but the tightest holes. What a pleasant surprise!

The 2nd bad swing was my other common miss, when I try to hit the ball too hard and get way too quick from the top. This swing doesn't let me get the clubhead anywhere near back to square to the target line, leading to big push slices. Well, I felt the quickness, felt the "openness" at impact yet looked up to see about a 10 yard push, but with no discernable fade at all! This was shocking, and such a game changer for me. The ball was a little higher than normal in flight, but it flew out there at least 265 before coming back to earth. Probably in the right rough if I were out on the course, but playable for sure.

Out of about 35 driver swings, 30 of them were really solid results. This is just way above average for me. And best of all, I was hitting the little draw (or trying to) the whole range session. I can't tell you how stoked I am to be able to start putting the driver draw back in play out on the course. I get better distance and it just gives me more options on those dog leg left holes. Being confident I'm not going to hit the dreaded duck hook is such a huge thing for me, so much so I'd given up even attempting drawing the ball with my driver this year.

And just to be sure it was still there, I ended the session hitting about 5 fades. Yep, nice mid-high flighted 10 yard fades were what I saw with each of the 5 swings.

One small complaint... On finishing up and putting the driver cover back on, I look down to see that I knocked the little classic emblem off the bottom of the driver AGAIN. I now have two Cleveland Classic drivers without the emblem. Ah well, I guess it makes the driver lighter, right?

Excellent range session man! You should do some plumbing everytime before going to the range. Sounds like you were piping it today.

Was able to get her out and about today for a 36'r walk-a-bout. Honeymoon is well over, but I am still in awe for this beauty. Every time I let her grace the tee box with her presence, it was fairway bound. I'm sure it's the confidence that is given matched up with the AMP component, but I just know where the ball will be going and don't second guess it.

On hole 4, which is a dog leg left and only 326, i was able to land it 278 yards just around the bend in front of the green.
On hole 6, which requires a carry over a marsh at 260, she blessed me with a monster with over 30 yards past trouble.
On hole 12, which requires a carry over a large water mass, it was pure excitement watching the ball sail over and into the fairway many yards away.

Even without the far reaching marks she was giving, the more relaxed motions were granted with the same...in play on the short stuff. Had a gentleman I was playing with today that kept commenting on how my drives kept finding the fairway way out there. So, on hole 18 of the first round, I asked him if he wanted to give her a go. He was hesitant since he just bought his TM with the stock X and maybe wasn't comfortable with hitting another players clubs. I told him just to hit a ball he didn't like and we wouldn't count the stroke....well, you know what happened. He enjoyed hitting that first one so well, he grabbed his game ball out of his pocket and asked if he could hit it again. He hit it farther and straighter than ANY drive he had that round. After handing me back my sweetness, he wrote down some information for future ponder.

What I really came away with today, was on the last hole of the walk-a-thon. It was getting dark, and most everyone in front of me was heading to the clubhouse. I figured since I had come this far, I was going to finish. I only had a short par 4 and a par 3 before getting to the last monster of a closing hole. This beauty at Green Valley Ranch is a respectable 602 par 5 with a dog leg right. It was difficult to see very far as given the par 3 17 I had just completed, I could just catch it landing on the green. I set up as usual and just let her do the talking. Couldn't see where it went, but knew where it should be. I walked down the fairway to find my ball waiting for me. I just laughed and as I reached the front of the green in 3 with a small pitch to the green...completed my 3 putt for a double boggie (even more difficult to read the green with little light and that is what I'm going with..lol), I just smiled. Knowing that my B Asha had helped with my flaws and drove me home safely.

EDIT: Got a call from the gentlemen who hit my combo on the first 18 asking where he could try them out. Two hits and he is wanting more of the Basha. He was even more exicted to learn that the Academy at the course is the place to go.

Last edited:
I'm still putting together some thoughts about my round/range time yesterday, but as I look through GolfShot some things jump out at me. 12 out 14 fairways (driver on everything FTW!) and just one penalty stroke, that equals up to a pretty darn impressive first go with the B. Asha. I was seeing a little higher ball flight, distance was a bit shorter but I was short throughout the bag so that makes perfect sense.

Consistency is the word I keep coming back to.

I'm still putting together some thoughts about my round/range time yesterday, but as I look through GolfShot some things jump out at me. 12 out 14 fairways (driver on everything FTW!) and just one penalty stroke, that equals up to a pretty darn impressive first go with the B. Asha. I was seeing a little higher ball flight, distance was a bit shorter but I was short throughout the bag so that makes perfect sense.

Im jealous of that setup you have, SW. Solid.

I liked Freddie's setup a lot. I just don't know if I'd go with a 4 or a 5. I loved the trajectory I had with the 5X, but I'm not sure if it was the head and the shaft, the shaft, or the head. If it was the VRS head, I'd probably go with the 4 just for the higher ball flight.

Poor Kusala Black is just sitting in the corner frowning and wondering what it did wrong.

Consistency is a good word to describe this shaft. Another is dependable. And I think in general, this shaft just excels at getting the clubhead back to square at impact, better than any shaft I've ever used.

I liked Freddie's setup a lot. I just don't know if I'd go with a 4 or a 5. I loved the trajectory I had with the 5X, but I'm not sure if it was the head and the shaft, the shaft, or the head. If it was the VRS head, I'd probably go with the 4 just for the higher ball flight.

Poor Kusala Black is just sitting in the corner frowning and wondering what it did wrong.

I think the 4x or 5s would be a good setup for you ward. I think you'd get more hang time. The 5x came back to terra firma a little quick

I think the 4x or 5s would be a good setup for you ward. I think you'd get more hang time. The 5x came back to terra firma a little quick

I agree with that. If the S can keep it in the air longer I'd jump on that. I'd love to go side by side with the 5S and 4x. I'd think the 4X could do what the 5S could do but keep things a little tighter on aggressive swings. I need a demo day with a launch monitor.

I agree with that. If the S can keep it in the air longer I'd jump on that. I'd love to go side by side with the 5S and 4x. I'd think the 4X could do what the 5S could do but keep things a little tighter on aggressive swings. I need a demo day with a launch monitor.

If you can hold out for a few months, we can make that happen with both of these shafts.

If you can hold out for a few months, we can make that happen with both of these shafts.

You mean it's not May yet? :(

Yeah I could hold out till the ultimate golf weekend.

Windy days are not really conducive to good testing results. But since I'm not a tester and I am just giving some thoughts, here goes. Went to the range this morning. It was cold and it was windy. Wind was switching from straight in my face to right to left. Both of those winds are not good for me. I had 2 shafts with me today. B Asha and Attas Elements going head to head

B Asha was up first and also finished the bucket. Started my day with about 100 9 to 3 shots to really try and get myself to remember to swing with the core instead of the arms. This is insanely key to me as I tend to get armsy which results in awfulness. Anyway, after I was lathered up, I started with 20 balls with the B Asha. How I hit driver is to take driver, hit a ball, then take wedge and hit a ball. This gives me more of a sense of playing then just swiping ball after ball. So the results were incredible. I was not tired at this point and I was hitting mid flight lasers with this setup. I have the B Asha 4S in a Razr Fit TA. The settings on the TA are set to a closed face. I find a closed face more comforting to my eyeballs. I was seeing a ball flight that was almost on a rope. It would start off a bit low but just keep gathering height until it would finally stop and seem to drop. Very little lateral movement either. The grouping was quite tight.

Moving to the Attas Elements and I have to say I really like the feel of this shaft. I don't know another word to describe it other than smooth(sorry SuperTuna!). It just feels like an extension of my arms and it whips through the hitting zone. Ball flight was much higher than the B Asha but for some reason it did not look like the wind was knocking it down or off line. It truly feels like you demolish the ball when you connect. But I will say distance was no longer than the B Asha. It just seems to feel more powerful. It will be interesting to see if there is a distance difference once I can get a non windy day. Ball flight starts high and stays high throughout and then slowly drops to the ground. I was also seeing more of a left to right movement with the Attas over the B Asha.

End of the bucket is when I like to play around with things. Mostly it is to work on a knucklefade. This is a shot that should start left of target and move just a little to the right at the end. But the main thing is that you should not lose distance like you do with a normal fade. That is the theory anyway. Some will laugh at that and quite honestly I have no clue if this shot is possible but I've read about it and I like to try it. At the range I do have success hitting this shot but I cannot for the life of me bring it to the course. So it stays as a fun little range shot.

Anyway I hit about 10 shots with both the B Asha and the Elements. I was pretty tired at this point and it showed. My miss when trying this shot is an awful drop hook and I saw quite a few of those with the Elements. My final 5 shots with the B Asha were absolute bombs though. More of a straight shot than a fade but man were they hit square. This is a shot I hope to be able to bring to the course in 2013 and the B Asha seems to like this swing. Its a harder swing than my normal driver shot so it looks like the B Asha does not mind me swinging for the fences. Kept up with my 100 mph swing speed. I would say today, B Asha took the cupcake home

Heading out to the range here shortly now that the rain has subsided a bit. I'm going out there today with an open mind and open swing. I plan on just letting loose and swinging for the fences to see what happens.

Also I will be switching over to an R11s as a buddy of mine is hooking it up cheap and sending it to me. It'll make testing easier and I know I will have the exact same driver setup with each shaft.

I had a good range session with the B. Asha today then played 9 holes in which I hit 6/7 FWs. This shaft is just unbelievable for me. I'm playing again tomorrow and then I'll have a full writeup about both days.

Heading out to the range here shortly now that the rain has subsided a bit. I'm going out there today with an open mind and open swing. I plan on just letting loose and swinging for the fences to see what happens.

Also I will be switching over to an R11s as a buddy of mine is hooking it up cheap and sending it to me. It'll make testing easier and I know I will have the exact same driver setup with each shaft.

I've been really liking the R11S/B. Asha 4S combo, I'll be interested to hear about your results Wess.

That is very cool Wess!!! Get to compare the JDL/B.Asha and the stock shaft eh? Phenom?

Back