Who do you consider the greatest player?

Jack Nicklaus gets my vote. I'm not sure at this point if Tiger can break his record but number of victories to me is not the total package for being #1. I like everything about Nicklaus from his amateur days, professional career, business savvy, family life etc.

I'm not sure what you mean by smaller stretch. TW has accomplished more than Jack in half the time, short of 4 majors. That stretch is part of his career. And actually TW has one more big events than any other golfer in history if you through in the WG events. All of them elite fields.

While I agree to a degree, every field was a complete field decades ago because the money was not nearly as good.

With that being said, I lean towards it being Tiger Woods in my opinion. The percentages at which he was winning, with the depth of field now is simply staggering. Some call a few of those years possible down years in terms of depth, but in my opinion he transcended that by winning and doing it handily. His percentages of winning after the Hank swing change took effect were nothing short of miraculous in my opinion.

I'm not sure what you mean by smaller stretch. TW has accomplished more than Jack in half the time, short of 4 majors. That stretch is part of his career. And actually TW has one more big events than any other golfer in history if you through in the WG events. All of them elite fields.

Because Tiger hasn't been doing it for as long as Jack did. I don't think the level of golf that Tiger played in 2000s has ever or will ever be equaled. But his career isn't over yet.

Jake Straight.

Snead won the most tournaments (and did it over four decades) and Nicklaus won the most majors, so one of them. I'll go with Nicklaus.

Snead even won an official LPGA tournament. Something no other male has ever done.

I think it's Tiger, but Bobby Jones had all the abilities in the world and I wish we could have seen him play a full career.

I think it's Tiger, but Bobby Jones had all the abilities in the world and I wish we could have seen him play a full career.

Do you do much reading, lambro? Grand Slam was a great book on Bobby.

As far as that goes, Byron Nelson retired with many good years left in him.

I'm going with Tmex hands down.

But if i cant vote for him and i don't see why i can't i guess Jack will have to do

Just like baseball it's difficult to compare eras.

Jones, Nelson, Hogan, Palmer, Nicklaus, Woods stand the tallest in my book.

Player, Snead, Sarazen & Trevino are real close.

Can't go wrong with these players. Just one, though, Jack.

It's practically impossible to pick the greatest player for me because there were so many guys great at different things. I just can't pick one, Hogan for a few years was the best ball striker there ever was, he could hit a 3 iron on the range and his caddie would never move more than 3 feet to pick up a ball, Seve was a creative genius, he could do things with a club that still can't be duplicated today, Jack? even though he was truly incredible, for some reason I've never been a fan and I just don't hold him in that regard. Snead? Tiger? what about Byron Nelson? that cat could flat out play and he regularly whipped Hogans arse lol. Heck even Corey Pavin with his size and the disadvantage that brings, found a way to win. The one that sits closest to my heart is Hogan though, he overcame adversity and never quit, we all hear the stories about his hardness on the course and his skill was undeniable.

Last edited:
But Jack didn't have any WGC's to win. Back in his day, every field on Tour was usually made up of the best on the Tour.

You and JB make go points. Every event in jack's day had the elite of the day in it.

It's Jack. I am bias because I grew up watching Jack and he was my fave. Bad weeks he would finish top 20, good weeks he won. Most golfer in bad weeks the miss the cut.

I do agree Tiger's 4 year run in the early 2000's was the most impressive and he has the same qualities. They both show up in their prime and are guaranteed a top 20 or better.

Like a few others I've gone for someone who never won the most. My idea of the best player is someone who had the ability but played the game with passion, flair, excitement and just someone who I enjoyed watching and it has to be Seve!

In order:

Nicklaus
Tiger
Nelson
Hogan
Daly (no, not really :)

Last edited:
It should be tiger by the time he's done, and jack now. From all I've read Vardon should be right there, and should be credited as much as Tiger for building the game to what it is. Then I'd say Snead and Hogan, though my fave would be Tom Watson fwiw

It's gotta be Jack for me, I will never forget watching the 1986 Masters..,,awesome.

Nicklaus, Woods, Ballesteros for me.

This is very hard. But I'm leaning toward TW only because of the depth of the tour during his dominance. And the fact that guys like Ernie Els, Phil Mickelson and a handful of others would be in this conversation if Tiger was never born.

I'd say Tiger. I'm not old enough to have watched some of the past guys play but I think the fields are deeper now (guys from all around the world are playing on tour now when they weren't during other eras) and Tiger has dominated the game at a level no other golfer has ever reached.

I'm going to say Tiger.

Due to his longevity at the top of the sport, my vote would be for Jack.

Back