made a bet with my boss...

hopefor300

Reaction score
Handicap
Was looking for a good place to get some golf advice and every time I googled a golf question this forum usually had the answers i was looking for so I decided to join because I will probably need a lot of help. :)

I first picked up golf because of a bet I thought would help me get out of grad school faster...

Before I even picked up a club or knew anything about actually playing golf I bet my boss that if I managed to hit a 300 yard drive he would let me graduate three months early. We shook on it, in front of multiple witnesses. And then I started looking up online how far PGA and LPGA players actually hit the ball. After a little googling I realized that the longest hitting LPGA players drives 270 yards on average and 320 yards for PGA. Oops, probably should have bet 250 or even 200 yards, but my boss probably only took the bet because he knew it would be nearly impossible. Smart guy. And given that I'm a 5'6" female who doesn't really work out (not built like a brick) the odds are probably not in my favor. Unless I hit off of a mountain...in Denver, But I was determined to give it a go. And so my obsession with golf started...

I started going to the range about a year ago and had bought a cheap ladies' starter set. Also borrowed a a guy friend's old big bertha driver, but am looking to buy one of these newfangled technology infused drivers. Went to golf galaxy the other day and apparently had a swing speed around 95 mph and the guys there said it would be possible for me to at least average 250 with a little (a lot) of instruction and practice.

I'm definitely willing to put in the effort and time to max out my driving distance (legally) so I'll be searching around the forums for the best exercises for increasing distance. And looking into all the new equipment reviews that are coming out.

Kind of a long-winded introduction, but looking forward to improving my golf game as a whole as well as trying to win this bet...
(I also bet my boss I could get more twitter followers than him, but that's a different story).

Nice intro hopefor, welcome to THP

Welcome!

welcome! hopefully this amazing site can give you all of the answers you need!

Welcome to THP! And good luck with getting to 300!

Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to :thp:!!

Welcome!

Good luck, and welcome to THP!

You're already cracking me up. You sound like a blast. I am curious, is your boss a professor or dean at the university or school you are attending? How can he get you out of grad school early? Just curious. Enjoy and there's lots of good info. One of the things you'll notice is all of the non golf related topics as well. We have experts on EVERYTHING!! LOL.

Welcome to THP

Welcome to THP.

Welcome to THP! I hope you find a way to win your bet, but if not I hope you at least find the same enjoyment many of us here find.

Welcome to THP!

Given your situation, perhaps research on tips from the long driving champs. They use techniques to increase clubhead speed that ordinary golfers and even tour pros do not.

Welcome to THP and good luck with your bet!!

Welcome and nice story....Hope you hit that 300 yarder!

:welcome: Just swwwwing harder....

Haha, it's more of a fun "challenge" bet, and I'm actually about a year out from graduating anyway so probably by the time I get closer to 300 yards I'll be close to being done. He's a professor, not a dean, but essentially your professor gets to decide when you graduate as long as you pass all the official departmental requirements. But, I won't let myself graduate until I'm happy with my work and hopefully have a job lined up. Although this forum may be detrimental to my productivity now...

Welcome to THP

You didn't say you where you would hit this drive right? Find yourself a big open parking lot....throw down a mat and tee one up....it should bounce and roll over 300 yards easy

Welcome to THP

You didn't say you where you would hit this drive right? Find yourself a big open parking lot....throw down a mat and tee one up....it should bounce and roll over 300 yards easy

LOL haha

exactly!! I actually have a certificate somewhere that says I hit a 700+ yard drive.....it was on a frozen lake....they charged you $10 bucks for 3 swings...measured it with a laser and printed you a certificate.

Welcome to THP cool intro

Back