Ball alignment on the green? Line vs. no line...

interesting thread Castor, i really flip on this a lot and i honestly dunno whats best for me, i like both ways i like the confidence of the line and trusting it when i actually do. but i also love the idea of feeling the line in my head and trusting that and just putting by feel. I try each method a lot and switch often it really depends on how i'm putting its one of the things besides changing putters to do to try to get my putting back on track when i am struggling. it is nice being decent both ways and being able to change i think this year i will make a decision to stick with one way and i think depending on what putter i decide to go with will make a big decision on which way i go. especially with the new Callaway Versa Putters not having alignments lines on them well at least traditional ones i think that would be a great putter to not use lines on your ball to help your putting and just trust your line in your head.

Don't use anything. See the line, step up and hit it. Otherwise I second guess myself all of the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I use the blank part of the ball. I don't like to rely on what I saw before because I will also take into account what I see when over the ball. And I don't want to be that guy that is constantly fidgeting with the line on the ball just to have a little more confidence.

I used to use the line but since switching to the blank I feel I have a little less pressure to hit on "the right line" and see myself making much more putts. Average putts have dropped about 5 strokes to just under 30 a round.

I'm actually kind of anal about this: line drawn on the ball, and putter has to have a sightline that extends all the way to the face of the putter. Align the putter sightline with the line on the ball. I also use the line on the ball to align myself on all tee shots, and I won't hit the ball if I think the line is off. It's probably the one thing that I do that mainly slows me down when I play, when I have to readjust the ball so that the line is in the direction that I want.

Interesting about the tee shot. But, if I got any slower I may never be allowed at a THP event again. Hahaha

I don't use the line and have never really tried using one. Most of the time I putt pretty well, so I'm not going to slow down my pace of play just to try and line up the markings on a ball for a putt that I may or may not make anyway. Of course I don't take my golf game all that serious either. I'm just out there for the fun and the challenge of the game.

I use a line or the logo on the ball to line up my putts. It works well for me when I remember to follow through with the entire routine of taking a practice stroke or two before I putt to get a feel for the speed.

I usually use a marker line or the seam logo if it's sufficiently linear

I don't use a line on my ball. However sometimes I do use the logo to line it up. Majority of the time I do nothing. Line up and putt

i use the alignment line on the ball.
but i will readjust if i don't trust it, once i'm at address. always go with your gut feeling and trust your putter.

I use the alignment aid printed directly on my B3330-RX golf balls.

I will use the type of ball as an alignment aid. I am not always good about going through the motions in a normal round, but in a semi-competitive atmosphere I use it much more.

I don't draw any lines on the ball but I do point the line/ball name directly towards the hole. I then read the putt to make sure the line is pointed straight at it and then take my stance over it and aim where I need to. the 3 line alignment system on my putter is MAGNIFICENT

I don't draw any lines but I do use the alignment aid that is already on the ball.

Alignment aid on the ball, but ONLY from 12 ft and in. Outside of that I think it does more harm than good for me.

I used to put lines on, but not anymore. Now I just line up the ball name (i.e. ProV1x) on my target line. I'd say I take the time to give it an exact line up maybe 75% of the time, the other times I just have the ball name facing up and close to my line...this is usually based on the length of the putt.

I just set my ball down and go. It doesn't seem to matter to me whether there is a log, or mark or not.

i dont add any markings and i always turn the ball to where there are no logos. with markings on the ball i tend to follow the line on the ball vs the actual line i want the ball to start on even if its a bit off

How many do not use any visual help when putting?

I don't draw any lines on my balls, and I always turn the ball so that I can't see any markings. Anyone else prefer this method? I find it disturbing to see too many things to align, I trust my putter and align the putter face to where I'm aiming at.

Thoughts on this?

I follow this process too. I am afraid that using the line on the ball will not match what I see when I stand over the ball and I will be confused.

That said I am, at best, a mediocre putter.

I use the balls logo for alignment

No line. Don't see any use for a line which is only 1½" long for a 30 foot putt. The tiniest misalignment becomes a big miss, so I just don't use one. I put my mark up when I putt, but that is just for consistency, not for any sort of alignment. Just means that I'm looking at the same thing for every putt. By not worrying about alignment, I can putt from off the green without it feeling odd.

What I do is to pick a spot about a foot in front of the ball on my line of putt, and that is my focus (even though I'm still looking at the ball when I make the stroke). My thought is to stroke the putter through the ball and follow through to that spot. It gives me a longer setup line, I don't have to worry about ball markings, and it helps me to maintain acceleration through the ball.

I use the small line printed on the ball. I pick a spot about a foot in front of the ball where I think the putting line is and I line the ball up on that spot. Does it work? who knows, sometimes I adjust standing over the ball, but it's a good feeling if I know that most of the time I hit the ball where I am aiming. Sometimes it goes in.

I use the line inside 10'-12', otherwise I use the name and number facing me.

Count me in for the alignment line on a ball. Basically more of a habit but it does help.

I use the alignment marks on the ball that Callaway includes on the Hex Chrome already for any putt I feel is legitimately "makable" (inside maybe 20 feet?). For long putts that I'm just trying to lag and am focusing more on feel, I turn the ball so I only see white because I want to focus on feel and not let a specific line be my focus like a shorter, more makable putt. If that makes sense...

I put a line all the way round my ball I line it up on the tee as well as on the green, I line the line up with my target line and then line up the line on my putter and keep at square, now I know there's a line in there somewhere!

Back