Throwing Away Iron Length Specs

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
This is something that has intrigued me a lot lately.

Over the last year or so, the standard on iron specs have changed dramatically. Between the strong lofts and added length, the benchmark for getting fitted seems to be less and less universal.

A prime example is the irons I'll likely be playing in the Morgan Cup this year. The Cleveland 588 TTs are one of many clubs that are playing longer than what would be standard in let's say year 2000. Comparing to the set I was last fitted on (half inch long), all standard lengths on the TTs are at or longer than my +1/2 inch set from back in the day.

So my question: For those who typically play "standard" length, would you be inclined to play these irons (or TaylorMade rocketbladez, or Callaway X Hot, etc) without changing the iron lengths? How much value in iron lengths do you put considering many companies are throwing out longer and longer iron standards into the market?

I want my irons at a certain length. It makes it easier to make good contact. Can I get used to a longer iron? Yes. I hit the Di11's well after a few range sessions. But I am more comfortable with a shaft that is built to my swing. Comfort is key in terms of hitting irons repeatedly.

I think this is the exact reason to get fit for every set you plan to play. Because there is no standard anymore.

This about sums it up:
images-5_zps127ef1c8.jpeg

I think this is the exact reason to get fit for every set you plan to play. Because there is no standard anymore.

I agree. Fittings are very important. Not too many people buy shoes that don't fit, so why buy clubs that don't fit.

I agree. Fittings are very important. Not too many people buy shoes that don't fit, so why buy clubs that don't fit.

hit the nail on the head there HoosierGolfer! Getting fitted for the right clubs is completely necessary for everyone IMO. There are very few people who can take a club thats standard length, lie and loft off the rack and have it fit their swing perfectly. The extra money put into getting fitted properly is money well spent.

Last edited:
I bought my irons off the rack, but went back to see how well they fit me. I got the lies adjusted but the lengths work for me. I have looked at a lot of different potential irons for my next set, and with so much variation in length I will absolutely get fitted for them

I agree, seems that the only standard is one of which that particular OEM deems as "their" standard. Within each product lines differences can even be seen with said OEM as well. Go between different OEM's, and you compound the variances.
Finding what works for you requires due diligence and being fit.

Once you find something that works well for you, is that now your standard when looking at new product? Is "standard" thrown out the window in general terms and the starting point in a fitting your current specs (personal "standard")? Unless something has changed within your personal space, wouldn't that be a good starting point?

LtEvO TaPpEd

This is what stinks, especially when you find a good deal on a set and a fitting does not factor in.

My irons are way too long for me, but I just choke down on them every swing. If I were to buy a new set of irons, I would get fitted so I wouldn't have to do that.

Long story short, I agree with this.

Last time I had a fitting they said I was standard across the board. Now the Cleveland irons are longer than the j40's so common sense would tell me to have the Cleveland's shortened but I'm not sure it as simple as that. Will have to let a fitting tell me.

What kinda sucks is that a general fitting no longer applies across the board (if it ever really did) but only to the specific set you are swinging at that moment.

Last time I had a fitting they said I was standard across the board. Now the Cleveland irons are longer than the j40's so common sense would tell me to have the Cleveland's shortened but I'm not sure it as simple as that. Will have to let a fitting tell me.

What kinda sucks is that a general fitting no longer applies across the board (if it ever really did) but only to the specific set you are swinging at that moment.

For length, why couldn't you get a general fitting? Say you swing one set during the fitting and you're fit for +0.5". Then take the standard lengths of that iron set, add half an inch, and that's your lengths. Then look at the other iron set's lengths and determine how much you have to add/subtract. Would that work?

Very true. Last year I was fitted for PX graphite shafts and had them installed into my Rocketballz irons. That really worked out great. This year, I had the PX shafts swapped into a new set of Rocketbladez irons, and that is not working well at all. I actually hit the bladez better with the factory installed steel shafts. Now I am totally confused as to what to do next, except to start all over with a new fitting.

For length, why couldn't you get a general fitting? Say you swing one set during the fitting and you're fit for +0.5". Then take the standard lengths of that iron set, add half an inch, and that's your lengths. Then look at the other iron set's lengths and determine how much you have to add/subtract. Would that work?

I suppose for just iron lengths it would but then you start messing with the intended swing weight if you start adjusting irons that you weren't fitted to. I just have to wonder if you could possibly be fitted to different lengths depending on the head style, etc. Or should the iron length remain the same regardless of head?

Good question Dan. The length hasn't been issue for me more has the lie angle. Because of the added length into days clubs I've gone from 2* flat to 1* flat.
I think this is why fittings are so important to be successful on the links. If your buying at the store, fittings are included. The is due is that people are always looking for deal and buy online with put fittings. 6 months later they buy another set because they feel
The current don't work. If a fitting had been done, they would have worked.

Very true. Last year I was fitted for PX graphite shafts and had them installed into my Rocketballz irons. That really worked out great. This year, I had the PX shafts swapped into a new set of Rocketbladez irons, and that is not working well at all. I actually hit the bladez better with the factory installed steel shafts. Now I am totally confused as to what to do next, except to start all over with a new fitting.

Good stuff (not for you, but for the sake of the discussion). This is what makes me start thinking about the head and swing weight.

I suppose for just iron lengths it would but then you start messing with the intended swing weight if you start adjusting irons that you weren't fitted to. I just have to wonder if you could possibly be fitted to different lengths depending on the head style, etc. Or should the iron length remain the same regardless of head?

Yeah that's the kind of thing that I was wondering about.

going out and retailing irons is just a bad idea.

"why can't i hit these $800 irons?!" - well maybe your distance gaining blinders didn't see the fact that they are too long/flat/upright for you, whatever.

it's important to be smart about it. at the very least, if you're not going to get properly fit, at least attempt to fit yourself.
measure your WTF (wrist to floor) and find what lengths you should be playing.
hit off a lie board and find out if you need flat or upright.

these two things are easy and free, and the very least you could do. going in with knowledge helps tremendously.

My current set was fit to me, but my swing was so erratic at the time that it was more of a best guess really. I recently rechecked them on a lie board and they're pretty close to where they should be.

I look forward to the next fitting

I don't want longer irons. Golf is hard enough I don't need to make it harder to make good contact just so I can hit the ball 5 yards further, it's simple physics. Similar with stronger lofts - the stronger the loft puts more sidespin on the ball - simple physics.

I think it drives the need for the fitting even more actually. All the changes are nothing more than something to fill the golfing worlds ego. Similar to changing the sizing on women's clothes so women feel better about themselves.

I think part of the problem is that many people/places in the golf industry use the word 'fitting' very loosely. Not all fittings are created equal.
I underwent an absolute joke of a fitting from what I thought was a trustworthy place. Left me with irons way too soft and way too upright...the worst part was I spent 4 months trying to make them work before I went for a different opinion and realized what had happened.
Thank goodness for THP.

I don't think it's that big of a deal. I moved from 'standard' to 'distance' length and it was pretty seamless.

Once you know the specs you like, write them down, and order your new irons to those specs. This also comes in handy if you play forged irons, because you'll want to have them checked a couple times throughout the season, depending on how much you play.

Once you know the specs you like, write them down, and order your new irons to those specs. This also comes in handy if you play forged irons, because you'll want to have them checked a couple times throughout the season, depending on how much you play.

There a couple problems with this though, such as the new irons not having the same standard specs like lie and loft. So 2* upright on one set, if used on another set, may make them 4* upright compared to the stock specs of your old set. Length would also effect this in similar ways.

Back