Atlanta, GA - 2013 THP Invitational Sponsored By Sligo

I had a blast today with my fellow old coots, as Ken said we all hit some good shots and some not so good shots. I am glad to have at least seen the course before the Invitational, I think it is one that might get easier after a couple of times around. Ken is spot on in that ATL's review is a must read, I think I need to request one of the yardage books from sparksjr, I found out the hard way that what appears to be a completely safe shot can put you in deep trouble.

Ken was extremely consistent today and played some fine golf. Don started out like a ball of fire but the putter was not his friend, he had to settle for pars on the first 4 holes with 3 birdie putts just missing. My only good golf was 5 pars in a row but I managed to sandwich them between two triples that involved a penalty stroke on each :sad: Bill was a trooper, never complaining even though it was obvious that his knee was bothering him. Cart path only on a hilly damp course is pretty rough on all of us old coots but especially one with bum knees.

When the rain did finally come it came in buckets, by time we passed the 17th green it had standing water and the cart path had a couple of inches of water in the low spots. I was drenched by time we made it to our cars. Thank you guys for making this a great day even though we did not get to play the last couple of holes but like I told Bill on the way back to the club house, at least we broke 90 :smile:

This will be my first Invtl. What is the playing format?

My first one too but as I understand it is simply lowest scoring team. No handicaps used in scoring but I would assume considered when making teams.

Shoot me a PM with your email DD...

Format is two man team. Lowest score. No handicaps. And that's the boring part. It you and 3 other THP'ers having a blast, making friends and creating memories for a lifetime.

My first one too but as I understand it is simply lowest scoring team. No handicaps used in scoring but I would assume considered when making teams.

Any idea if it is a scramble, four ball or just total of the team?

I really could care less. I am just fired up to be there.

Format is two man team. Lowest score. No handicaps. And that's the boring part. It you and 3 other THP'ers having a blast, making friends and creating memories for a lifetime.

Yeah. I really could care less about the format or score. I am just pumped about the experience.

Well the Old Coots Classic, aka Geezer Gathering was a blast today. Ole Gray, Lefty, DawgDaddy and I got in 16 great holes before the heavens opened up and pummeled us with heavy rain and even a little lightening. The course was very wet all day and cart path only because of the rain we've been having. The greens have not healed up as much from their punching as I had hoped. They're still a little bumpy. My guess is that with another week they will be better, but not pristine. It would help if they would roll them Saturday morning, but, I don't know if they'll do that for an outing.

We played some good golf and some bad golf, but all I think had a good time. That, and getting to see the course a little more was the objective. I think you're all going to love the track, especially if we get some dry weather next week. It is challenging, but quite fun. Seth's (ATL) review is quite on the money and well worth the read at least twice if you're coming to the Invitational.

See you all next week.

Looks like you codgers had a goodctime today! Glad you got most of your round in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a great time with my fellow old coots today at the Trophy club. The golf was up and down all day but the fun was consistently great! The course impressed me and I think everyone will enjoy it. If you can keep your ball in the fairway the majority of the time, you will enjoy it even more :D. I'm really glad I got to see the course in person. It's definitely a shot maker's kind of course. Thanks to AtlGolfer as he was spot on with his review! Looking forward to seeing you all soon :thumb:

Glad the "Old Coots" group had fun! Wish I had been with you guys instead of playing as a single at our course. The ladies wimped out on me since they thought it would rain. I pulled up to the first tee and this "old coot" was pulling up from the parking lot. He had this look on his face like "oh geez, a dang woman". He asked if he could go in front of me as if I would be holding him up. I get much more respect from the THP Coot Group. LOL

Glad the "Old Coots" group had fun! Wish I had been with you guys instead of playing as a single at our course. The ladies wimped out on me since they thought it would rain. I pulled up to the first tee and this "old coot" was pulling up from the parking lot. He had this look on his face like "oh geez, a dang woman". He asked if he could go in front of me as if I would be holding him up. I get much more respect from the THP Coot Group. LOL

Hope you accidently hit a bomb into him on 14

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What an ass. I wish you would have bombed one by him and asked if you could play through so he didn't slow you up.

He will probably never know just how close he came to having his arse whipped today. :deadhorse:

I had a great time with my fellow old coots today at the Trophy club. The golf was up and down all day but the fun was consistently great! The course impressed me and I think everyone will enjoy it. If you can keep your ball in the fairway the majority of the time, you will enjoy it even more :D. I'm really glad I got to see the course in person. It's definitely a shot maker's kind of course. Thanks to AtlGolfer as he was spot on with his review! Looking forward to seeing you all soon :thumb:
I'm glad you got a round in there before the Invintational , that way when we are partners you can show me where to hit it but more importantly where not to hit it ..lol.. It was a monsoon today around the city and south , I'm so glad you guys ddin't get totally rained out .

Atlanta, GA - 2013 THP Invitational Sponsored By Sligo

I'm playing tomorrow and Saturday and hopefully sometime next week to get ready for the Invitational! Looking forward to seeing my buddies and meeting a lot of new THPers!

And KB, I'm surprised they didn't find him in the bottom of the pool after being a jerk like that haha

I bet he held you up all day too KB! Don't worry about that silly clown.

I'm glad you got a round in there before the Invintational , that way when we are partners you can show me where to hit it but more importantly where not to hit it ..lol.. It was a monsoon today around the city and south , I'm so glad you guys ddin't get totally rained out .

I'd love to be ya partner, partner :thumb: I got that where not to hit it down pat :D.... It rained so hard today that Dawg & I were motor boating instead of cart riding. The rain was coming down sideways and we just got soaked to the bone. We almost got lost trying to get to the clubhouse. Heck you could barely see through the rain :bulgy-eyes:. A guy behind us was hauling butt right behind us. We thought he knew where he was going so we followed him. Wrong :beat-up:. We had to turn around and he followed us to the clubhouse :act-up:

lame-o yardage book sent to all who requested. let me know if you did not receive.

May be having some issues with email servers, could be labeled spam. I dont think it is a problem for me to post this but if so mods just let me know. Here is a shared link to the "yardage book" that I uploaded to my box account. You should be able to open without an account:

https://app.box.com/s/awk9cifengjwnutjlfjf

Last edited:

There should have been a bet placed then and there that you'd take him by 5; maybe a nice dinner for you and Gray in the club.

Only a week away from this event to play with some awesome THPers and sponsored by a great company in Sligo.

Yeah I am excited!

Only a week away from this event to play with some awesome THPers and sponsored by a great company in Sligo.

Yeah I am excited!

Simply cannot wait.

This time next week we'll be getting ready to tee off at Old Atlanta for the pre invitational round. Can't wait.

Back