How much time do you spend on a chip or pitch?

Golferbest

Reaction score
Handicap
So after setting my improvement gameplan strategy I realized that after getting back to the game I drastically decreased the time I spent on these shots.
With everyone talking about slow rounds and trykng to speed up a round I understand that one can not spend 20 minutes on chips.
However, I use to walk off distance( within 20 yards). I use to use multiple clubs based on the shot, lie, slope od green. Id practice the swing with my eyes opened and then closed to really "feel" it.
As of late its been primarily with one club. I half heartedly pick a spot and just kinda hit the ball.
So so you feel your game could improve if you spent a little more time on these shots? Do you think you spend too much time already or do you think your routine is pretty well off on these shots?

No. I think it would suffer if I spent more time on it. I think people spend too much time around the greens as it is and in the end it comes down to technique and reading the greens.

No. I think it would suffer if I spent more time on it. I think people spend too much time around the greens as it is and in the end it comes down to technique and reading the greens.

Interesting ? In an average around the green. From walking up to the ball till impact how long do you spend?

The more time I stand over it the worse it usually becomes for me. Tend to tense up and overthink instead of swing.

Interesting ? In an average around the green. From walking up to the ball till impact how long do you spend?

Depends on the shot, but most that have played with me will tell you the answer is "very little". 20 seconds tops I would say. On most its closer to 10 seconds however.

I improved my short game immensely last year from years past, but it wasn't because I spent hours upon hours on it while around the putting green. I found that if I wanted to work on my short game, it was more about spending a bunch of time on each individual shot (like a flop, pitch, punch, or sand shot) but only in very spread out chunks. So basically hit 40-50 balls from one area trying to perform one type of shot, then leaving it alone entirely for long stretches of the season.

My goal on course is to recreate that swing. I take 3-4-5 quick practice swings to emulate the one I practiced, and then try to quickly go into my shot so that repetitive motion is fresh in my memory. The success I've had in doing that has been nothing short of fantastic, and it's saved me a bunch of time to spend on putting or full shots.

I would say the time I spend on a chip is pretty low. I get a general idea of the green break and then just see where I want to land the ball and execute the shot. Definitely spend more time on putts.

It seems like the more time I spend thinking about a chip, the more likely I am to thin/blade/chunk it.

I don't spend a lot if time on them. I read the break get a feel for how hard I want to hit the ball and hit. Same goes for putting, if I over think it, it does more harm than good.

The longer you take the more thoughts come into the head which you start to question!

You should be able to decide what club your going to use almost immediately by seeing how the ball is lying and the shot you need to make, such as a flop, bump, pitch etc, once that club is in your hand, its then a case of a couple of practice swings to feel the resistance of the grass and conditions and then commit to the shot.

This should take no longer than 30 seconds once you've selected your club to striking the ball, IMO.

I want to answer this question two months from now. In 2013 though, I spent no time at all on chips. See the hole, read the green, get the ball on and rolling.

If there's a ridge or something in the way, I'll give it more time. If not, it's a few practice swings for the lie, couple looks, and then hit it. As others have stated, too much idle time leads to bad results

Pretty quick...read the green, find my spot, make it happen. Usually no longer than an iron in the fairway.

Most of the shots I lose is due to pitching and chipping. A few on putting. My up and down stats are dreadful. I hate to practice these shots. But this year I'm going to. There is no excuse for bogeys when I get the ball around the green somewhere. Don't really have a plan yet but it's going to change this year.

To me, it's similar to a putt I guess, which isn't all that long, but pretty focused.. I'm looking at the green to read break and looking for the spot to land the ball, what trajectory I need to pull the shot off. Club selection is sort of an afterthough/automatic thing now. I usually take a couple practice swings to get the feel I want and let it go. Sounds like a lot I suppose, but it's all a pretty quick process.

I have been spending more and more time practicing various pitch shots at the range and this tends to speed up the actual process for me on the course. I try to get an idea of how the green breaks as I walk up to my ball and pick where I want it to land as I come up behind it. Then I take a few quick practice swings to get the feel for how hard I think I need to hit it, set up and do it. I agree that taking too long over it tends to make me tense up, particularly once I'm actually addressing the ball. I can't do without my few quick swings to get the proper feel though.

I do 30 minutes every other day.

5 minutes chip and pitch
5 minutes 1/2 - 3/4 swing wedges.
10 minutes full swing irons/woods
5 minutes chip and pitch
5 minutes putting

Forgot to add: I do the 30 minute practices so that when I'm over the ball I don't spend wasted time over thinking and just pull from memory the feel for the distance.

Last edited:
When JB has had time to practice his short game is one of the best I have seen, wedges and putter. He knows the shots needed, pulls the club, throws a 1st person comment and does work.

Me, I have two wedges that I'm really proficient with for every shot from 120 and in.

Around the green if I have to carry something to get to the hole it's my 54*. If I need the ball to roll out I use my 50*.

I have question, what is your strongest wedge I your bag? The one that you get up and down with the most? Which is your worst? How many do you carry?

Get good at a few shots instead of ok at a whole bunch.

When JB has had time to practice his short game is one of the best I have seen, wedges and putter. He knows the shots needed, pulls the club, throws a 1st person comment and does work.

Me, I have two wedges that I'm really proficient with for every shot from 120 and in.

Around the green if I have to carry something to get to the hole it's my 54*. If I need the ball to roll out I use my 50*.

I have question, what is your strongest wedge I your bag? The one that you get up and down with the most? Which is your worst? How many do you carry?

I really really really like what you've said here Freddie. I see so many guys trying to get creative and switch out wedges all the time around the green.

In my opinion? I'm pulling 58* and trying to play the same pitch every single time if I am afforded the room to work. Not even a question.

I use the 57 to throw it up there with a little more spin if I have to carry something. Something lower lofted to roll it, but which one depends on how much green I have.

On.... Ball has been struck

After I finish unconscious putting, I will be reading Unconscious Scoring.

I was kind of confused if this thread is about time spent practicing or time spent right before a shoot on the course.

I could definitely spend more time practicing these shots. But on the course I think to many people already spend more time than necessary looking at these shots from every angle.

I have different bounces on my wedges so it would depend on the lie to what wedge and what kind of shot had to be played. I'll bump & run with my 47*, I rarely use the sand wedge around the greens, especially on tight lies as its got 12* bounce so I'll use my 52* which has only 7* bounce thus less chance of thinning, especially if its got to carry something quick in front and get in the air quickly.

Alot of people saying they sont spend much time and get good results. Ive always dont better with a little more time and thought.

Mr. Kong, to your question. I use to love my 60. However as of late ive go to using more of a selection of clubs based on shot.
I carry 4 wedges if you count the pitching wedge. Now based on distance slope lie I use a different clubs around the green. Some may say this adds too many thoughts in the process but I welcome it.

Back