Team matches, how do you pair players?

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
So a format change had been announced for Saturday morning of the Morgan Cup. Years past we played 18 holes of one format (best ball, 2 man scramble or Atl shot). Well this year we will be playing 9 holes of one format and 9 holes of another.

It seems to hand stirred things up amongst the masses. I'd like to know how you would group players for this format. Does it matter that it's two different 9s? Is it really that big of deal how pairings are set in a 9 hole match vs an 18 hole match?

Is it really that big of deal how pairings are set in a 9 hole match vs an 18 hole match?

You still want a W on your side, so I don't think it matters at all.

But I would probably go with a 'seeding' mentality and put the higher hdcps with the lower. Example, if it were me and my 13, I'd likely end up in the middle somewhere with another 10-15 hdcp. But what if a guy is a solid 18 and you have a 3? There's definitely help there which not only gives assistance to the higher hdcp, it boosts confidence a bit in knowing that someone has their back.

The only other way I can see it is to put a great short game with someone that can hit fairways all day long. The balances out the entire hole and there's still opportunity for the teammates to help with a solid shot that might not necessarily be in their wheelhouse.

IMO its not that big of a deal. Cant imagine the change of the format through 9 would lead to a huge shift in strategy chang

I agree with Mike. Don't think it should make a huge difference pairings wise. What works with one format, should be ok with another with amateurs. Alt Shot might be the only format I'd spend a bit more time deciding partners with.

I think that the best pairings take how the two players complement each other's skill sets into account rather than formats. If a captain makes a solid pairing, the duo should be able to hold their own no matter what format is thrown at them.

IMO I think pairing individuals with differing strengths may be key with a format change. Although in the long run I don't see it affecting mind set that much.

I won't be worrying about it too much. If my team is ready, their game is on point and the only changes they'll need to be concerned about is remembering the format changed on the 10th hole

I don't see it as a big deal really but it would probably be best to keep guys together that have a similar games, it would be tough for a partner to be hitting shots he's unaccustomed to.

Regardless of the game at hand. It takes solid shot making, a little luck, and chemistry with your partner. Two of which each player can effect to a certain degree.

I think it will depend on what the formats are.

I think that the best pairings take how the two players complement each other's skill sets into account rather than formats. If a captain makes a solid pairing, the duo should be able to hold their own no matter what format is thrown at them.

I agree. Complementing each other and taking out weaknesses is the key. Pairing players with the opponent is another critical thing, it's not about the handicaps, level of play of course can matter, but pairing two long hitters against a duo combining long and short game could be over soon.

what if you have never played with the guys you are pairing and don't know their strengths and weaknesses?

I won't be worrying about it too much. If my team is ready, their game is on point and the only changes they'll need to be concerned about is remembering the format changed on the 10th hole
if your team had issues with this you got other issues :D

I don't see it as a big deal really but it would probably be best to keep guys together that have a similar games, it would be tough for a partner to be hitting shots he's unaccustomed to.
I like the way you think

The biggest strategy is making the pairings. Putting 2 guys/girls together that can feed off each other and mesh well together. The format change after 9 shouldnt really make a difference if you have 2 guys that fit well together.

what if you have never played with the guys you are pairing and don't know their strengths and weaknesses?

Well, in the case of the MC, each team should be getting to know each other throughout the next 6 months, talking about how their game is improving and how their strengths/weaknesses are evolving. But yes, in a different tournament style and atmosphere an unknown pairing can be a godsend or the kiss of death.

I think it will depend on what the formats are.

I agree with this, but overall I don't think it will have a huge impact. As others have said, it's still about hitting shots, and while some formats are more forgiving than others, it's going to take good golf to get points.

I think you should match similarly skilled players together, like some of the previous posts mentioned so that way everyone is playing their game and to their comfort level. Nothing takes a round south quicker than loss of confidence or feeling uncomfortable, especially a team match.

Just a wrinkle, and since every team has the same issue to deal with it's not really a concern to me. I didn't even consider it as an issue when it was brought up.

Just a wrinkle, and since every team has the same issue to deal with it's not really a concern to me. I didn't even consider it as an issue when it was brought up.

#confidentcaptain!

I don't see it as a big deal, If the pairings are made so that the each pairing has guys that can cover each other weaknesses and the players mesh well together I think you will be covered. For setups like alt shot I think having a pairing of a longer hitter that is good with long irons/hybrids and a shorter guy/who is decent with long irons and if both guys have decent wedge games you have a fantastic pairing.

I think it does matter Freddie. I think everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. Some of the weaknesses can be covered up in the scramble format. If someone is on, the other person doesn't have to do much and has time to get themselves together. Now, that person has to get it together faster because the next format could be that much more difficult. I have had two experiences of this- two years ago, I played really well in the scramble format with Howzat (we shot a ridonkulous -10 or -11 at True Blue in a match that went 18) The next round was best ball (for the first 9) then rain delay and we went back to scramble because of time. In the best ball round, SW carried the crap out of me for the first 4 holes. We were up big because of him. Then I started to heat up and played some really good golf coming in and especially after we went back to scramble. In this case, I think that the format lent itself to hiding my weaknesses at the time.

Last year, the second round was initially the opposite of this with alt shot. At least in my group, the 4 of us from both teams didn't figure it out till the turn. After that, I'm pretty sure both teams (Cookie and INgolfer, Thain and Me) shot even par on the back. Point being, I think that in each case and match, the pairing WAS the reason that we succeeded or came up alittle short. Certain strengths shine in certain formats and certain weaknesses glare in others.

Which is true to a point. Certain people have games that do lend themselves to different styles of play. At least I know mine does :alien:

The biggest strategy is making the pairings. Putting 2 guys/girls together that can feed off each other and mesh well together. The format change after 9 shouldnt really make a difference if you have 2 guys that fit well together.

I'm no expert on this, but I have played in a lot of 2-man team events. To me, the most important aspect of pairing people is the chemistry between the two, more so than relative skill level. Winning teams feed off one another, encourage one another and not let the other get down after a bad shot or hole. Brian (thechosen1) almost willed me to a good round on True Blue after I opened with double, triple, for instance. He wouldn't let me get down on myself. I ended up shooting my PB (for that course) that day, he had an even better round, and we won.

This makes it a whole lot harder, IMO.

I think that if you find two with a chemistry they can compete regardless of the format. That is something that cannot be taught and chemistry and the ability to build each other up typically gets points on the board in a close match.

I think the hard part is do you spread out the talent and do a seeding to give yourself a chance in all matches, or do take a chance and "forfeit" a match so you can be more competitive on one end or the other. I have honestly seen it done both ways with success.

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

I think some of it depends on the format. Switching from a scramble format to something like Pinehurst might matter more if there's one player who is a much better driver or iron player than the other. Suddenly going from complimenting styles to something that demands much more complete games from both players can affect things, I think. But it still comes down to both players playing a solid game, and taking advantage of good shots as they come.

I look at the format and the strength / weakness of each golfer and make a decision based on that. Also take into consideration attitude and how they will get along with the other.

Back