The Ultimate Golf Event Period - The 2014 Morgan Cup - #THPMC

While you cannot change the course or their game, you can have your game significantly better minimizing the chances of playing someone with a lower index than yourself. And while I am sure people are working at it, I tend to believe that most are not doing everything they can. Their choice and not my place, but I read and see a lot and tend to believe that I am correct.

I can't help but think about guys like TyNo and Bullfrog, who found the extra gear and shocked many in 2012. I believe there are a handful of guys in this Cup primed to be that kind of presence at the Cup.

No need in worrying in things you can't control. I'm focused on my game and the games of my teammates. I'm glad that everyone of the other teams are working to improve and are getting better, but it's not something I care about (no disrespect to anyone). If I play a lower handicap than I, all I can do is play my game. I can't change the course to make or do anything else to alter my opponent's play.

Play my game, trust my swing and I'll walk away satisfied win or lose.
You can always work on the intimidation factor, that definitely affects the play of who you are playing.

Putting pressure on your opponent can definitely alter the way they play the game.

Bring your A game, as anything else will have you done and watching other matches by holes 13 or 14 usually

I can't help but think about guys like TyNo and Bullfrog, who found the extra gear and shocked many in 2012. I believe there are a handful of guys in this Cup primed to be that kind of presence at the Cup.

I will go back to my Einstein quote.
Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results = Insanity.

After so many THP Events and quite a few Morgan Cups, I have seen it all. You can always see the ones that took the journey as a chance to completely change the way they play the game.

While you cannot change the course or their game, you can have your game significantly better minimizing the chances of playing someone with a lower index than yourself. And while I am sure people are working at it, I tend to believe that most are not doing everything they can. Their choice and not my place, but I read and see a lot and tend to believe that I am correct.

I can't disagree with you there. My game is well on it's way. I've been doing a ton of work with and without my instructor. The swing looks better each week and the ball goes where I want it to.

I really hope people are doing everything they can to get better. For me, this is a once in a lifetime thing. I honestly felt like the event picked me and I refuse to show up the same golfer I am now. But, there are different circumstances for everyone that may prevent them from getting the work in, and I'm not judging anyone....Except Nate.....because he's on my team and I feel like should judge him :alien:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will go back to my Einstein quote.
Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results = Insanity.

After so many THP Events and quite a few Morgan Cups, I have seen it all. You can always see the ones that took the journey as a chance to completely change the way they play the game.

The differences I saw first hand last year were, for lack of a better word, laughable. I like to tell my guys that their efforts will become very obvious for one weekend of the year (but the benefits of their efforts will be endless for their game, of course).

It gets me excited to see who really does everything they can for this MC. They are the people I will gravitate towards during the event. Like minds I suppose.

There is no fooling anyone. Yourself, your teammates, your competitors. People can say they are working hard. People can say they are doing everything they can. But the proof will be in July. Think about this. Your team needs a point on Sunday to win and it comes down to your match. You get smoked because the person you are playing took this serious for the months heading into the MC. Think about that and think to yourself if you really are doing everything you can. Not letting my team down and being able to walk away knowing full well I gave it everything I had, is priority number 1 for me. Telling yourself you are doing the best you can and actually doing it, are 2 different things. If you think you are doing everything you can, do yourself a favor, do a little more.

You can always work on the intimidation factor, that definitely affects the play of who you are playing.

Putting pressure on your opponent can definitely alter the way they play the game.

I'm going to be playing with a 25 lb chain on my neck........what else do??

I don't expect anyone to be intimidated by me. I don't have that personality. I'm also not intimidated much, especially when it comes to golf. I play with a guy every week who is a 1.7. He out drives me by 20 yards, sticks it closer than I and is a better putter. When we play for money I'm not worries about what he's doing, because that's how you end up getting intimidated. I watch the ball of the tee when he hits it, but only for a second. I'll watch his approach for a second and set up for mine. And putting, I really won't pay attention unless we are on a similar line. If he makes a birdie and I don't, I've got more golf to play.

But, I can see where you are coming from War. I'm sure there are people are easily shaken and may show up on day 1 psyched out of their mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not gonna quote the Freddie post but I agree with it 100%. This year there appears to be a lot more under 7 handicappers than in years past. Any one of us could draw that low handicapper. It happened last year. If that doesn't motivate each and every one of us on our #JourneyToBetter then I don't know what will.

There is nothing better knowing that each day I practice or play, that what I'm doing on that day, gets me one step closer in playing my best against Trout, Freddie, Canadan, Howzat or who ever the lucky person(s) I play come July. I don't want to lose to a scratch player and I don't want to lose to a 15 handicapper (although I fully expect everyone to be lower than that!!!) You will get equal treatment regardless of handicap. That is part of my #JourneyToBetter and I hope it's part of yours.

Your post didn't specifically name me or my DotCom brethren. It's headed to the bulletin board.

:Alien

Seriously, though, I want to draw the best. To be the man, you've got to beat the man.

Whooooooo!!!!

Your post didn't specifically name me or my DotCom brethren. It's headed to the bulletin board.

Seriously, though, I want to draw the best. To be the man, you've got to beat the man.

Whooooooo!!!!

We are flying under the radar. Thats a good thing as my boy Teddy would say.

quote-speak-softly-and-carry-a-big-stick-you-will-go-far-theodore-roosevelt-158071.jpg

We are flying under the radar. Thats a good thing as my boy Teddy would say.

quote-speak-softly-and-carry-a-big-stick-you-will-go-far-theodore-roosevelt-158071.jpg

Just because your Captain cant be seen on radar doesnt mean the whole team is flying under it.

Just because your Captain cant be seen on radar doesnt mean the whole team is flying under it.

I don't mind flying in low and hot, so long as you don't mind watching your teammates take their hats off after getting torched by a guy half a foot more shorter than they are. I'm sure it'll be a moving experience for them.

I don't mind flying in low and hot, so long as you don't mind watching your teammates take their hats off after getting torched by a guy half a foot more shorter than they are. I'm sure it'll be a moving experience for them.

clearly you are not talking about me:alien:

Maybe you misunderstood. I said your team ISNT flying under the radar just like every team is trying to say that they get no respect to motivate themselves.

Maybe you misunderstood. I said your team ISNT flying under the radar just like every team is trying to say that they get no respect to motivate themselves.

On I just figured you meant I couldn't be seen on radar because of height. Whatever, it rains on you first

Boom -- that just happened.

#DoWorkDotCom

I want to add a personal experience/opinion to this while we're on the subject of practicing and improving for the Morgan Cup. A bit of unsolicited advice, but it was given to me before I began preparing for the Morgan Cup last year and paid major dividends for me.

One thing you absolutely cannot simulate on the range or with a lesson, is pressure. You'll know it quickly as it starts day 1, hole one, as the tee shots are filmed for millions to watch. Those who don't bother to enter competitions, play competitive matches, or go to THP invitationals before the MC will feel a great deal of pressure.

It's the kind of pressure that makes you do funny things, like try to eliminate one side of the hole only to hook/slice the ball the other way... (or top it... or skull it)... You look up from the fairway and ten people are watching greenside, two with cameras in their hands waiting on you to hit the ball... You're cruising along at 1up only to have half the field make their way over to your group as they all finished their rounds...

It starts day one hole 1 and ends with the final handshake on Sunday. Trust me, nothing but actual competition will prepare you for those feelings, and while the hours of practice will make it easier to go into 'range mode' and put a decent swing on the ball, it takes controlling those emotions to find the right place.

i won't say much about not playing harder golf courses. It's already been mentioned, but good luck playing Caledonia and True Blue if you play 69/105 leading up to it. Challenge yourself.

Haven't heard much of that over here in Paradise.

I want to add a personal experience/opinion to this while we're on the subject of practicing and improving for the Morgan Cup. A bit of unsolicited advice, but it was given to me before I began preparing for the Morgan Cup last year and paid major dividends for me.

One thing you absolutely cannot simulate on the range or with a lesson, is pressure. You'll know it quickly as it starts day 1, hole one, as the tee shots are filmed for millions to watch. Those who don't bother to enter competitions, play competitive matches, or go to THP invitationals before the MC will feel a great deal of pressure.

It's the kind of pressure that makes you do funny things, like try to eliminate one side of the hole only to hook/slice the ball the other way... (or top it... or skull it)... You look up from the fairway and ten people are watching greenside, two with cameras in their hands waiting on you to hit the ball... You're cruising along at 1up only to have half the field make their way over to your group as they all finished their rounds...

It starts day one hole 1 and ends with the final handshake on Sunday. Trust me, nothing but actual competition will prepare you for those feelings, and while the hours of practice will make it easier to go into 'range mode' and put a decent swing on the ball, it takes controlling those emotions to find the right place.

i won't say much about not playing harder golf courses. It's already been mentioned, but good luck playing Caledonia and True Blue if you play 69/105 leading up to it. Challenge yourself.

All of this. You can't simulate pressure, it just happens all on its own. Invitational pressure doesn't seem to stack up, and neither did the outing. I was anxious as hell during that Callaway thing as I knew I'd never hear the end of it from the ZooCrew if I went up there and puked on myself. Physically, literally, whatever. It was an awesome learning experience though for sure.

This one is hard to simulate. Even though it's only one or two dudes the cameras add another element. On top of that, I can't imagine being in my groove and then 10 golf carts roll up on my match (which will happen to some matches). I would absolutely encourage everyone to play competitively leading up to the event but some things are going to be hard to prepare for.

Pure gold in this post, well Said Dan

All of this. You can't simulate pressure, it just happens all on its own. Invitational pressure doesn't seem to stack up, and neither did the outing. I was anxious as hell during that Callaway thing as I knew I'd never hear the end of it from the ZooCrew if I went up there and puked on myself. Physically, literally, whatever. It was an awesome learning experience though for sure.

I can't even imagine how valuable that had to have been for you buddy. Pumped for you about that.

And I'll agree on the invitationals. Went off near the front of the pack in my first three, and none rattled me. First tee at the MC? Totally different story, but I used my experiences to shut it out when it came time to actually hit and put a decent move on the ball.

The differences I saw first hand last year were, for lack of a better word, laughable. I like to tell my guys that their efforts will become very obvious for one weekend of the year (but the benefits of their efforts will be endless for their game, of course).

It gets me excited to see who really does everything they can for this MC. They are the people I will gravitate towards during the event. Like minds I suppose.
You have a one of a kind mind Dan......not many people that are like minded! He-He. I know Dan wasn't talking about me as I put on a 9 hole show for him the first time we ever met the Wednesday afternoon of the '13 MC. I still won't forget that look you gave me after the 2nd hole when I went -2. LOL. Priceless.

Whooooooo!!!!

You were on my mind big guy. No doubt Mr. 76/74. There is no flying under any radar for you or even Wardy, Mr. Long Drive finalist.

I'm sure we can get Dawg, MillerTime and a few others to join us so we can round out some foursomes and get this done. I'll work on setting up the one at Lane Creek and send you all a PM!

Barry -- I would never purposely forget ya buddy :thumb: I was thinking of Morgan Cuppers getting with us Kingsters and working on the course challenge. I think it will be a ton of fun :bomb:

I am certainly ready to do what I can for the MCers and the #TheKing participants. Just let me know. :thumb:

I believe the journey to the Cup should be about the total package and I know Canadan is not discounting that at all. He is all for the challenge and I watched a guy prepared last year. We hear it all the time from those that have not been to something like this that "I dont really feel pressure or have nerves". Ask Buckjob or others last year as the video shows them shaking as the 1st peg goes into the ground. There is simply NOTHING like this.

Let me put it this way. If I told you this was the last time an event like this would ever be done and you have the chance to change everything would you do things a bit differently? Would you grab one more lesson? Would you grab one more 30 minute session? On those lazy days would you get off your ass when you know you would rather watch TV and hit a bucket of balls or work on chipping? Would you wake up 30 minutes earlier to exercise even a little? Would you make the attempt to make those 5 extra posts or send an extra message on twitter?

I can tell everybody that last year this event was dead and buried. I can tell everybody that there was no decision made to bring it back until I was actually writing the recap post. Read it for yourself and see what it does to you now that you are in the event. This is not being posted to chastise anybody or say to step up. Just posting to have a little reminder that each time you think you are doing everything you can, know that someone else might be doing a little bit more and want it a little bit more. You worked to get in because you loved the concept of the event, the gear and the weekend. Don't waste it by being the status quo. I have learned that some people get it and some people don't. Its not my choice, but theirs, and they also have a choice to move forward and move up. Give birth to a new you, a new beginning and know you have 4 months to change everything.

Life Begins Now!

Back