The Ultimate Golf Event Period - The 2014 Morgan Cup - #THPMC

I may need to start doing some 36 hole days to prepare...

Only need 27 ish thanks to alt shot lol.

But yeah its a long day especially if u have to run to the tee after am round

You're young, Kang, and stamina won't be a problem. But, Freddie's comments were right on the money about the mental stress. I, on the other hand, have both to worry about. That's why fitness and stamina are included in my prep plans.

Alt Shot.. it's back!

While many look at it and have opinions that it is emotionally taxing, I look at it a bit different. It really makes you work in tandem with your partner and find your groove on the course. It, in my opinion, is the Ultimate Team format.

You're young, Kang, and stamina won't be a problem. But, Freddie's comments were right on the money about the mental stress. I, on the other hand, have both to worry about. That's why fitness and stamina are included in my prep plans.

Vman, I know you're going to be all
Jacked up and fully expect you to slay some folks. I'm 100% rooting for your success in this event. You are one of my favorite people.

I don't know half the guys coming but let me tell you, shake this man's hand.

I love to see that alternate shot is back this year, I think the strategy behind makes you work together as a tandem. Good luck to the captains trying to mesh players together.

Jacked up and fully expect you to slay some folks. I'm 100% rooting for your success in this event. You are one of my favorite people.

He is a fine gentleman and a class act. Got to shake his hand and share a round in DFW. If you have yet to meet Ken, seek him out. He's one of the good ones for sure.

JM

I know I'm way late to the party on this one, but I'm excited to see alternate shot. Such a demanding format that brings in a ton of variables. I'm excited for it. Planned on doing a bunch of alternate shot with my pops and some other THPers as prep for this format. Glad I can still keep this plan in play.

Saturday is going to be an emotionally and mentally draining day. Managing both along with your game will be paramount. Captains have some serious decisions to make.

Just imagine how Sat will finish off. Pairing selection for Sunday singles or whichever format it may end up being.

You know the great thing about the announcement today is that it doesn't change my preparation for July in the slightest!

#BeReadyForAnything

I've got 27 (or sundown) planned for this Saturday. Family is out of town. Would like to do it later in the leadup, but starting next month the heat is going to start making afternoon golf problematic. Upside is empty courses, but it's thirsty work.

I've got 27 (or sundown) planned for this Saturday. Family is out of town. Would like to do it later in the leadup, but starting next month the heat is going to start making afternoon golf problematic. Upside is empty courses, but it's thirsty work.

Way to work man!

Announcement
Today is the 1st of the month and the 1st month of the journey to the Morgan Cup.
The criteria for being in the Morgan Cup begins today as well. If you are not familiar with that, you can find all of that info here.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?50583-2014-Morgan-Cup-Qualifying-Criteria

Announcement

As mentioned, Saturday night after the matches and at dinner we will be announcing pairings for the Sunday round of golf. To accomplish this, we will be hosting a 2nd dinner at True Blue. This will not be mandatory, but is encouraged.

As far as cost, THP will cover the cost for each participant for this buffet dinner (just as the one the previous night), however due to the fact that it was not planned, we are only able to cover the cost for you. If you are bringing guests to the event and they will be coming to this second dinner, there will be a cost of $15 per person coming.

Obviously the Friday night dinner is a bit different as we are covering the cost of the dinner + 1 guest. So this will be Saturday night after the days golf ends and while it is not mandatory, it is where the matchups will be announced for the Sunday round.

As we get closer to the event, we will get a full headcount so that we can settle up with True Blue and make arrangements.

Announcement

Format Change!
Just like last year, THP is mixing it up this year again. The 1st round of competition (Saturday Morning) will have two separate formats in which the teams and match stay the same, but the format changes at the turn.

Announcement

This is going to be a rather lengthy post, so please bare with me here, but I think its worth reading. A lot of participants have questions and I think in the coming month most of those will be answered. I am going to address some PM's I have received here (have their permission) since I have a feeling a few are wondering the same thing.

First off, as for announcements we can tell you now that formats for the 2014 #THPMC will be coming in the next few weeks. They are fun, they are different and they will be talked about for quite some time I have a feeling.

Second, I know people are asking about fitting and when they should get fit, where they should get fit and more importantly when they will be ordering equipment. The answer right now is soon. And by soon I dont mean you will be ordering your equipment soon, but soon you will find out more information about this. Each company is different. Some are working on release cycles, some are working with in a timeline and still others are waiting for when they believe it will maximize their players talking about it. After all, you are a staff member to a company that has goals also.

Third, there will be some things ramping up soon in regards to this event. There will be tasks, and sponsor items that will have to be completed along with some fun things each company has planned.

Now let me get to the question that some are asking. I am going to try to clear this up a bit for those that are confused. "Where can I talk about the event". The answer is anywhere you want to. But we have made it clear we do not want a new Morgan Cup thread every week and we think that with 80,000+ threads on THP there is a place to have these conversations that fall into the framework of golf or can be created that have mass golf appeal rather than directly related to this event. Others feel differently and that is okay to disagree, but we will stand by our thoughts because of the data and research that supports it. Every Morgan Cup has been better than the last and this will be no different. Trust us on this and understand that with hundreds of thousands of readers per month and thousands of active forum members, every conversation should be able to fit in the framework of forum...After all, that is what we are doing at the event.

Each company has equipment that people are trying and will be trying.
Each player is working on their game hopefully
Each person is or will be playing golf

All of these things are awesome examples of great conversation happening daily by thousands of people. We have said that the reason behind this is because we want the event to be inclusive instead of exclusive and we know that some feel as though it still would be. If you feel that way, and feel like others really want to be included (this early on), ask yourself how active you have been in TheKing, how active you were in the Grandaddy (leading up last time), etc. And I am saying this not to knock your participation which is not in question, but to show how people not in the event, tend to shy away from it already.

We promise you in due time during this journey there will be plenty to discuss and in plenty of places. Between formats coming soon, and literally TONS of announcements coming for this, please understand that THP is a golf website, not a Morgan Cup website and that for every task leading up to the event and conversation about it, there is a place for it that includes the entire forum, not just the 7 others on your team or the 39 other participants.

Each participant has different goals in this event. Each participant has different wants in this event. And each participant will come out saying something different. Our goal is to put on the best event possible and the best journey possible and we believe that once again that will take place.

We hope you guys understand and as always, if you have a question, your tour rep is only a PM away and would be happy to discuss.

Since you guys are so good with patience, we will give you a little bone for round 1

Spoiler
Are you kidding me? Well maybe

Spoiler
See, round 1 will have 2 formats...unlike years past with only one.

Spoiler
And neither of those formats will be a scramble

Participants,
We are watching as seasons change and weather permits golfers to work on accomplishing the goals they have set for themselves, their captains, their teams and of course this event. #THPMC can be anything you make it, but it should definitely be a commitment to getting better regardless of your skill level.

I have a challenge to each participant. When possible (weather), I want you to play a course that is unknown to you that might even have a few more hazards than you might be used to. I want you to then send a PM to your captain with your score. Your real score. No fudging, no "well it would have been this". Your actual golf score.

This is not to hinder you from any action or event, but to get a sense of where you might be. We are just a few months away from this event (give or take) and we want everybody playing their best golf. Life gets in the way, and we fully understand that, but we also know that this event is a bit different than most. We know that many times a handicap can usually have a few strokes added to it due to the pressure of a THP Event and we want to make sure that assistance is offered in the form of advice to each participant on how they can get where they need to be.

Its your job as a golfer however to reach out to your captain. To speak to them candidly. To want to help the team win and bring home the glory. As Tour Reps it is our job to make sure that each company is held in the proper light and we believe that EVERY person here can be playing their best golf when they arrive in Myrtle Beach. We have a chance collectively to have all 40 golfers playing their best golf...BUT YOU HAVE TO WANT IT!

If you are not self motivated, ask any person that is returning in this one that has been in one previously, how losing feels. Then find out what you have to personally do to not have that feeling. Skating by and "barely" making it are options...But poor ones at that.

Announcement

The second round on Saturday will be a two man alternate shot format. This is a round that will be played at Caledonia in the afternoon after the opening round Saturday morning.

Quoted for relevance

Freddie, my brother, you are very kind. I'm definitely jacked up about this, and am working to bring a little something to the party for Team DotCom and TaylorMade. I am in awe of the huge responsibility I feel to them, THP, my 39 other #THPMC brothers, and those on the forum who will follow us, and that's just a little bit scary. That's good because it keeps me working harder.

Freddie, my brother, you are very kind. I'm definitely jacked up about this, and am working to bring a little something to the party for Team DotCom and TaylorMade. I am in awe of the huge responsibility I feel to them, THP, my 39 other #THPMC brothers, and those on the forum who will follow us, and that's just a little bit scary. That's good because it keeps me working harder.

Ken, we all know you're putting in work, and we all know that you've got the game to make you a force in the MC. Come July, you will be ready, and no matter the results, your 7 teammates are going to be incredible proud of you, and I'm very happy to call you my teammate. #DoWorkDotCom

Alternate shot is going to be cool for you guys again. I've only played the format once before. We'll be doing Alt Shot in #theking in a few weeks so make sure to follow how it goes for us. Know some of you played it last year but those that didn't you'll be able to see how it goes for us. I'm looking forward to the challenge this format will bring.

Very cool about alt shot. It's a format that I don't think you realize how awesome it is until you play it.

I've played this format where both players hit their tee shots and you take the best of the two. Then the player that didn't hit the best is next and so forth until you hole out.

Announcement

The second round on Saturday will be a two man alternate shot format. This is a round that will be played at Caledonia in the afternoon after the opening round Saturday morning.

I am very excited about this. I wasn't sure what to expect last year, and our front 9 showed. The back 9 was a whole different story and I really enjoyed it. Very excited to get another crack at this

"Oh Captain, My Captain".

Collectively the five greatest captains this event has ever had. Without question and thank you for your service.

I am very excited about this. I wasn't sure what to expect last year, and our front 9 showed. The back 9 was a whole different story and I really enjoyed it. Very excited to get another crack at this

It'll probably take a few holes to really get used to it, especially if you really aren't used to your teammate's game up close and personal. I think though it'll be a lot of fun and honestly can't wait for it.

It'll probably take a few holes to really get used to it, especially if you really aren't used to your teammate's game up close and personal. I think though it'll be a lot of fun and honestly can't wait for it.

One way to know your teammate's game in alternate shot: play with your teammate in the morning round. Some knucklehead came up with that idea last year, it seemed to work out pretty well. I wonder how many of the captains this year will do the same thing.

One way to know your teammate's game in alternate shot: play with your teammate in the morning round. Some knucklehead came up with that idea last year, it seemed to work out pretty well. I wonder how many of the captains this year will do the same thing.

The thought has come to me indeed

That strategy was definitely noticed and is being pondered strongly.

Alt Shot.. it's back!

While many look at it and have opinions that it is emotionally taxing, I look at it a bit different. It really makes you work in tandem with your partner and find your groove on the course. It, in my opinion, is the Ultimate Team format.

For what it's worth, I think I had the best alt-shot partner in the Morgan Cup.

I'm biased though. #GreatRound

For what it's worth, I think I had the best alt-shot partner in the Morgan Cup.

I'm biased though. #GreatRound
Well... you did.

Back